Changing nut

• Thread starter JPMDan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
when you have the nut changed, is there a huge noticable change in sound? I'm working on a list of upgrades for my ESP and I thought about getting that Tusq Nut from Graphtech installed but I wanted some opinions on this kind of thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's huge, but replacing the cheap plastic ones does change it slightly...

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd say there's other changes that make more difference, but if you have any binding/tuning issues that are nut-related, it's probably worth it.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I do have some tuning issues but I think it's more tuner related. I just want to get the best tone I can out of my ESP.

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
Since you wouldn't sell me yours Dan, I was forced to buy my own H-207. I am also exploring what mods can be done do it. Do they make a graphite nut for these?

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure they do, I need to find out how many inches the nut is and go find one. it's probably about 50mm (rought estimate since ibanez nuts are 48mm)

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Circumstantially, I found that a nut replacement severely alters playability and tone. In the given circumstance, I was exchanging an extremely poor quality plastic nut for an ivory nut. Prior to the exchange the tuners were switched to no noticeable avail. The poor nut may have also been the root of my dissatisfaction with the guitar in this case as well. I feel it would be most beneficial if you feel any deficiency in the resilience of the strings during your attack or a damper tonality than you feel appropriate; otherwise I do not imagine it is going to provide a significant difference for you.

')