Charvel vs Fender quality

• Thread starter andriusd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

andriusd

Reaction score
Why are Charvel San Dimas and So Cal cheaper than Fender American Standard Stratocasters? From what I understand, Charvel is owned by Fender, and while I realize Fender could be more expensive just for the brand name, is there anything else to the difference in the price?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
As far as price country of origin probably plays a factor, aren't the Charvels you mentioned MIJ?

As far as quality I can't really say as I've never owned a Charvel, but all the fender American stuff I've played have been top notch.

Endnote

Reaction score
The Charvels were formerly made in Japan, they're now made in Mexico. Hence the price difference. The MIJ Charvels were good quality, I haven't tried the Mexico ones though. Definitely gotta say American Fenders played and sounded great too.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Well, American anything often has a higher price tag than its other-countrymade counterparts.

andriusd

Reaction score
I didn't know these Charvesl were not MIA. That explains everything. Thanks!

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't know these Charvesl were not MIA. That explains everything. Thanks!

The 1st run of ProMods were MIA, they had a higher street price with a gig-bag instead of hardshell. $1100 IIRC. The Korean made OEM Floyd Rose trems(still a good bridge) and other hardware keep the prices lower as well, I imagine.

dr_game0ver

Reaction score
Charvel, Fender and EVH are made in the same factory in mexico, and if they are as good as my MIM fender then it is some prety nice gear for the price.

But if you can find a MIJ charvel (or fender...), TAKE IT!!!!

')