Cheap (playable) 7-string?

• Thread starter LxCxExCx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a cheap (but playable 7-string for myself (I've been using my youngest brother's 6-string guitar for the most part for the last two months while learning how to play). I'm moving out in less than a month for college and want to continue learning, but I want the extra range of a 7-string...

Anyway, I'm looking at this Douglas. I've heard great reviews from googling and lurking here on sevenstring.org. I'm also looking at a Davison, but I've heard slightly better reviews of these than the Davisons, even though they look nearly identical except the pickups, switch, and name branding (I think they might just be re-branded)... Like the Specs?

Douglas:

Douglas SR-370 7 String Guitar Black at RondoMusic.com

Davison:

Electric Gutiars On Sale with Free Shipping Discount Wholesale To The Public including Davison Guitars

I also intend to go buy a book on 7-strings. I'm not that far into 6-strings so I figure it's good to change now while I still easily can. Lastly, a decent, but cheap amp (this is for a more Metal/Nu-Metal-style of playing, lots of heavy riffs, some solos, etc). Thanks in advance :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spawnsc

Reaction score

blister7321

Reaction score
since your still kinda new I would advise you to not get a floyd rose guitar but one with a string through body. If you have the experience on how to keep the bridge floated, and how to tune them then go for it.

How much is your budget first off? how is the max you can spend on a 7 string?

also check out this dean it might be a better fit for you and your price range.

Buy Dean Vendetta VNXM 7 String Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

+1

this is an awesome 7 i got one used and its a beast, light good sound i slightly wider tho thin neck than some others just get thicker strings anything under a 60 on top is too floppy with a low action the perfect first 7

Kidneythief

Reaction score
Or maybe a Schecter? They make nice guitars also, and they are not that expensive. Or you could always try to buy a used one.

Stateless

Reaction score
I would advise against getting a 7-string before a 6 string.

I would advise against waiting longer to get a 7-string if that's really what you want to play. There's no reason not to make the adjustment as early as possible. :yesway:

BlindingLight7

Needs moar Gear.....
Reaction score
DO NOT BUY THE DEAN.

My ex guitar player bought one, within a few weeks of hardcore thrashing and jamming it was already starting to get loose wobbly knobs and buzzing like crazy(fret buzz and pickup hum), it felt really cheap, paper weight wood.

If I had to suggest you get something I'd have to say find something on craigslist or ebay from Ibanez or Schector.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
I'll wholeheartedly recommend the SR370 to anyone, regardless of their skill level. With a proper setup, it plays like a dream. The stock pickups aren't bad at all, and if you're like me and hate floyds, just block it.

blister7321

Reaction score
DO NOT BUY THE DEAN.

My ex guitar player bought one, within a few weeks of hardcore thrashing and jamming it was already starting to get loose wobbly knobs and buzzing like crazy(fret buzz and pickup hum), it felt really cheap, paper weight wood.

If I had to suggest you get something I'd have to say find something on craigslist or ebay from Ibanez or Schector.

nothing wrong with mine

Kapee

ss.org Master
Reaction score
Maby an used RG7321? I wouldnt put my money on a cheapo never heard brand 7-stringer.

I would recommend the 7321

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
since your still kinda new I would advise you to not get a floyd rose guitar but one with a string through body. If you have the experience on how to keep the bridge floated, and how to tune them then go for it.

How much is your budget first off? how is the max you can spend on a 7 string?

also check out this dean it might be a better fit for you and your price range.

Buy Dean Vendetta VNXM 7 String Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Price Range? I'd say at or under $210 $250 (inc. tax or shipping)...

And lol I have no idea what you're talking about so I guess you're probably right, although I'll consider what other posters are saying in addition... I guess I could always just get a wah-wah whammy pedal later on? Maybe I'm just thinking too fast, lol.

Ok then, the reviews on that guitar seem really good. Thanks. What about amps?

And do you need a special tuner for a 7-string?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions. Lastly, I'm looking at buying this one book titled "7-String Guitar: An All-Purpose Reference for Navigating Your Fretboard". Something better I should get instead, or should I just use websites (as I have been)?

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
DO NOT BUY THE DEAN.

Hmmm well on the Dean I DO remember reading similar things about it on one site, but I can't recall what site, nor can I find it for the life of me.... people were bitching their heads off which is why I looked at the Douglas and Davison more thoroughly...

I'm trying to avoid used... I just have an awkward feeling about buying instruments (and electronics) used...

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
6 and 7-strings are the same damn thing with one small difference, I started on 7s and easily got used to 6s, I don't see what the big deal is. :lol: But I'd recommend fixed bridge too.

A normal guitar tuner should easily suffice; it's just a B note in standard. I don't think you'll need any book dude, honestly it's just notes, it's not that different. :yesway:

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
I'll wholeheartedly recommend the SR370 to anyone, regardless of their skill level. With a proper setup, it plays like a dream. The stock pickups aren't bad at all, and if you're like me and hate floyds, just block it.

I don't know if I hate floyds XD the only guitar I played on so far was the "Silvertone SSL3 Electric Guitar Pack Vintage Sunburst", a standard which has no tremelo of any sort, and retails with an amp and tuner for a $200 bundle -_-

Phlegethon

Reaction score
well agile probably has some sevens with a hardtail for a good price, also can't go wrong with a used ibanez RG7321/7421/7621 either.

and like it's been mentioned in this thread I would also advise you get one without a trem as well. but if you do want one then there's a few more sevens available to you, like the douglas SR370 you mentioned. agile and ibanez also have their respective offerings which can also be had for really cheap without going into emperion/devries "quality"

')