Cheap (playable) 7-string?

• Thread starter LxCxExCx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bananalyze

Reaction score
Hey! I have that Douglas guitar in natural Ash!

I do like it, but I wouldn't advise getting it if you aren't prepared for an ugly and frustrating set-up period. I had quite a bit of trouble with the Floyd Rose, and ended up just blocking it.

But besides the bridge, I really like the guitar. If you know how to set it up you can get it to play nicely, and I like the sound of it.

Plus, don't worry about adjusting to the 7 string. I was able to do it pretty quickly, and I'm nearly retarded. So if you're a little smarter than me, you should be fine.

I hope this helps!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
I had been playing the guitar for very little time when I got my first seven string. It's as simple to play as a 6, if you're not using the low E as a reference. The one noticeably tougher thing about 7's is just damping in high gain situations, but I don't think you'll have much trouble there unless you're a die-hard tapper and pick like Marty Friedman. Since I do, I had to practice a tad more to get it right. :lol:

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
You are on the right track. Go for the Ibanez 7321. I tried the Davison and it is a piece of China made crap!! Looks good on paper and in specs, but I COULD NOT get the action low enough because of construction issues.

I just bought a RG7421 and couldn't be happier...

LxCxExCx

Reaction score

gearhead

Reaction score
I bought a Douglas SR370 for a backup seven and it is a good guitar. Yes, it will need a setup, but most guitars shipped half way around the country do. The pickups are okay, but like most cheaper guitars, I would change them. I think you can handle the floyd - it is not like your ten and starting. I don't think young kids should start with a floyd. Also, is don't see anything wrong with starting with a seven if that is the intrument you really want to play - if it is your only guitar, there is not the adaptation from a six to seven string neck. Then when you pick up a six later on, it will seem very easy to play.

Soopahmahn

Tu ne cede malis
Reaction score
My ex-guitarist had a Dean Vendetta like that - the tuners were HORRIBLE but the guitar itself was surprisingly playable. One of those things that would be fun to buy, enjoy, mod a bit (new tuners, new pups) so you could learn a few things on it without feeling guilty about screwing up an expensive guitar.

Other recommendation is Ibanez RG7321. Check used.guitarcenter.com for some, you can return to your local GC if you don't like what you get or if there's something messed up about it. They also offer very cheap shipping. Much less painful than eBaying your first time.

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
My ex-guitarist had a Dean Vendetta like that - the tuners were HORRIBLE but the guitar itself was surprisingly playable. One of those things that would be fun to buy, enjoy, mod a bit (new tuners, new pups) so you could learn a few things on it without feeling guilty about screwing up an expensive guitar.

Other recommendation is Ibanez RG7321. Check used.guitarcenter.com for some, you can return to your local GC if you don't like what you get or if there's something messed up about it. They also offer very cheap shipping. Much less painful than eBaying your first time.

Oh, cool. Thanks a lot man. The Used Guitar Center ones are actually a decent amount cheaper than the eBay ones and one of them is in Arlington (>30 Min. drive from here) so I wouldn't have to pay shipping. :eek: But I'd still have to pay my state's 8.25% tax so I guess that cancels it out...

One question, I searched there for the Ibanez RG7321. There are some for $249 and some for $279 and even one for $299 (same price as the current lowest eBay one)... What would be the reason for the difference in price? It doesn't metnion anything else other than a few more numbers and letters... Like, is there something wrong with the $249 one and not with the $299 one? is it location? Sorry, just want to know what the deal is.

JacobShredder

Reaction score
I don't think a dean vendetta 7 is too bad, my old 2nd lead player had one and i thought it played nicely, you could mod it and put some nicer pickups and tuners on it and it would be pretty nice, I almost bought one myself.
The RG7321 is admittedly better though.

If your still searching for a cheap amp
Buy Roland Micro Cube Combo Amp | Solid State Combo Amps | Musician's Friend
I think I'm gonna snag one of these eventually too, they're beastly.

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
I don't think a dean vendetta 7 is too bad, my old 2nd lead player had one and i thought it played nicely, you could mod it and put some nicer pickups and tuners on it and it would be pretty nice, I almost bought one myself.
The RG7321 is admittedly better though.

If your still searching for a cheap amp
Buy Roland Micro Cube Combo Amp | Solid State Combo Amps | Musician's Friend
I think I'm gonna snag one of these eventually too, they're beastly.

Hm... that thing looks... Tiny :eek: I went to the site and the tones are REALLY nice, and everyone seems to give awesome reviews about it... BUt is it really that loud? one guy even said it's loud enough to play over a drummer. In the very few rehearsals I had, a Drum Kit was VERY loud, and even though I don't know miuch about guitar amps... 2 Watts seems a little small for that sound o.o

JacobShredder

Reaction score
^^^I was really surprised by the little thing, the recto mode sounds pretty freakin nice, I'm actually selling my spider II practice amp, and will probably pick one of those up for my dads apartment.

I don't know if it could play over a drummer..I really doubt it.. My spider can but it's 150watts, I thought it was loud, but not drummer rehearsal loud.

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
^^^I was really surprised by the little thing, the recto mode sounds pretty freakin nice, I'm actually selling my spider II practice amp, and will probably pick one of those up for my dads apartment.

I don't know if it could play over a drummer..I really doubt it.. My spider can but it's 150watts, I thought it was loud, but not drummer rehearsal loud.

Lol, well my potenial nu drummer uses an electronic kit :eek: Hahahaha anyway, thanks man. I found one for like, half price used. Probably gonna get it now :)

Stateless

Reaction score
Ya the Microcube is way louder than it looks. In my room I practice with it at like 1/4 volume. I definitely wouldn't try to play with a drummer with it though.

Keytarist

Reaction score
A used Schecter Omen Extreme 7 could be a good option. Bear in mind that the neck is a little bit longer than normal guitars (AKA baritone scale). Try it before you buy it; I would suggest that regardless of what guitar model you may choose.

Schecter Omen Extreme 7.

Last edited:

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
A used Schecter Omen Extreme 7 could be a good option. Bear in mind that the neck is a little bit longer than normal guitars (AKA baritone scale). Try it before you buy it; I would suggest that regardless of what guitar model you may choose.

Schecter Omen Extreme 7.

Hmm... It retails for about the same as the Ibanez... In general opinion of the thread participants, what do you think of this thing in comparison to the Ibanez mentioned above?

Only complaints I've read about so far are that the switch is in an unfortunate position and the stock pickups are sucky...

Snytbaggen

Reaction score
Speaking of cheap guitars, I've been thinking of picking up this some day as a beater/project guitar. I have another six string Harley Benton and it's surprisingly good for it's price (deninitely better than my Emperion, but that doesn't say much :lol:), so that's why I'm even considering this. I just have this feeling that the trem is going to be an utter piece of sh*t... But still, I've never had a trem and really want to try one, and IMO it's better to buy a cheap guitar than an expensive if I decide I don't like it. Is there anyone on here that have any experience with this guitar?

Keytarist

Reaction score
Hmm... It retails for about the same as the Ibanez... In general opinion of the thread participants, what do you think of this thing in comparison to the Ibanez mentioned above?

Only complaints I've read about so far are that the switch is in an unfortunate position and the stock pickups are sucky...
I believe that every guitar in this price range will have sucky pickups. If you compare the Ibanez RG7321 with the Schecter Omen Extreme you will notice that:

1. The Schecter has a push-pull feature to split the humbuckers in single coils;
  2. it has a mahogany body with a maple top (a lot of players prefer mahogany over the basswood body of the Ibanez).
In the other hand...

1. The Ibanez has a thinner neck, better if you're starting with guitar I believe;
  2. the bridge may be more comfortable than the Schecter bridge, because it isn't a tune-o-matic so your forearm will rest over the body rather than holding it in the air.
Sorry for replying late, I just picked my PC.

')