Cheap (playable) 7-string?

• Thread starter LxCxExCx
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
ok so first i guess i should come clean and admit that i am a guitar center employee, second i read one comment that if it was a broken string they should sell it used, well to that how many times have any of us went to gc and played a guitar because as musicians that what we do to know if we want it. the problem is that people come in and want to change to every tuning out there to the point where they snap a string and then discreetly put it back thinking they will get in trouble. if they would just say something we will just restring it. technically all our guitars are used, but only in store meaning they still have factory warranty.there are no guitars in the back regardless of what people think. also i read a comment about a guy who said he talked them down on a used piece, doesnt happen. its corrporate that dictates that and we cant budge on used prices.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
oh and the 369.99 price tag is the correct price on the 7321, there was sommething where all this printed material came out stating its 399.99 but just before that the price actually came down to 369.99

Boombaby

Reaction score
I havnt seen the dean vendetta 7 string but my friend owns the dean vendetta 6 string and that guitar is average. I myself would never buy it, nor would I recommend it to someone else.

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
ok so first i guess i should come clean and admit that i am a guitar center employee, second i read one comment that if it was a broken string they should sell it used, well to that how many times have any of us went to gc and played a guitar because as musicians that what we do to know if we want it. the problem is that people come in and want to change to every tuning out there to the point where they snap a string and then discreetly put it back thinking they will get in trouble. if they would just say something we will just restring it. technically all our guitars are used, but only in store meaning they still have factory warranty.there are no guitars in the back regardless of what people think. also i read a comment about a guy who said he talked them down on a used piece, doesnt happen. its corrporate that dictates that and we cant budge on used prices.

Dude, I understand completely, and to be frank, I don't care lol. It was my first time being in a Guitar Center and I have to say it's probably one of my most comfortable shopping destinations now. I went to BestBUy the day before, Night and Day. Here the employees were all nice. Nobody bugged me about buying. I asked to see a guitar, the guy led me to it, gave it to me, and even gave me a pick to play it with that and they said "Here, you can keep this". But you'd restring it? That's good to know. And since you're an employee, how do the used prices differ? per say, on an Ibanez RG7321 Or a Schecter Omen? 'Cuz the same guitar models seem to have different prices used.

oh and the 369.99 price tag is the correct price on the 7321, there was sommething where all this printed material came out stating its 399.99 but just before that the price actually came down to 369.99

Hm... well then why is it still $399.99 online though? o_O

ibbyfreak13

Reaction score
Dude, I understand completely, and to be frank, I don't care lol. It was my first time being in a Guitar Center and I have to say it's probably one of my most comfortable shopping destinations now. I went to BestBUy the day before, Night and Day. Here the employees were all nice. Nobody bugged me about buying. I asked to see a guitar, the guy led me to it, gave it to me, and even gave me a pick to play it with that and they said "Here, you can keep this". But you'd restring it? That's good to know. And since you're an employee, how do the used prices differ? per say, on an Ibanez RG7321 Or a Schecter Omen? 'Cuz the same guitar models seem to have different prices used.

Hm... well then why is it still $399.99 online though? o_O
i think that may have come off wrong, i was saying about the used thing to who said it should be sold used, im sorry if that was taken wrong. but yeah we usually arent a real "pressure" type sales crew thats for sure, we let you do youre thing and are there to assist and answer any questions you have, we want it to be comfortable. but yeah if theres a guitar with a busted string and you want to try just let one of the guitar salesmen know they will take care of it, we wont let it leave missing a string that for sure lol. the used prices get determined based on a few things, like the condition of the guitar, what they sell for used both on ebay and the guitarcenter website under the used catagory, if they have more than one, if the particular instrument just doesnt sell, if after 6 months its there it gets a price drop. things like that we have to operate under the fair trades and practices acts so you can be sure we arent going to rip you off, also the instruments that come in get the complete inspection and must be played before we give anyone any money for it because if we cant sell it we wont take, so you can feel safe that all instruments are in good playing order.
and as for the online, theyre prices are usually lower than in store but if you print it out we will match it, but yeah there are often many differences in the online and in store price and much like you i have no idea why and its frustrating when you work there.:wallbash: but on the side note i would say youre best bet is the ibanez. i love my 7321!!!!

thefpb2

Reaction score
ESP LTD SC-207 is what i started on, the thing is zero maintinance and durable.

jl-austin

Reaction score
The only down side to the RG7321 is, everyone and there uncle, and even his dog has a RG7321, so if you do buy one, remember that it is not going to be easy to sell it.

However, it is not a bad guitar to keep, and if you buy something better later, keep it as a backup!

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
Lol, ikr? but it was on display with a tag and said it was new but it was only $369.99 instead of the usual $399.99 so... $400 guitar - 1 string = $30 discount? XD

break the rest of the strings! maybe ul get another 180 off at that logic, so get the guitar for 190, then buy a set of strings XD

jl-austin

Reaction score
One of the stores I shop at has a RGA7, I played it the other day. I was totally blow away by it. I did not play it through an amp (I never do, I would change out the pickups any way, just because). However, just playing it without an amp, the thing sounded heavy! Every time I play a MII Ibanez I am always surprised. I always expect them to be junk, and then I play them, and I am like "wow, this ain't bad".

wwjfd

Banned
Reaction score
are you sure that you want a playable 7?:scratch:

i heard daisy rock might be getting into the 7string game.

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
Well firstly, I'd like to thank all of you for your advice and help. I had to put off my 7-string search while we were packing for,, moving to, and unpacking for college. Just before this this I saw a RG7321 used for $200 (buy it now on eBay) shipped and begged my mother to let me buy it, but alas, she was too busy and said "let me look at it later" (as if she knows ANYTHING about guitars). Lasted about 9 hours past the listing time. Well, now that I've moved to Shawnee, OK temporarily (for during the school year), I'm a lot more limited as far as craigslist goes... BTW half the kids listen to super-shitty hardcore music and it's annoying as fuck lol.

So no, I'm not dead, I didn't quit this forum, and I'm not giving up on my 7-string. Thank you all, and wish me a tad bit more luck if you feel the need Dx

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
YESSSS!

NEW CONDITION IBANEZ RG(BLACK) 7 STRING ELEC-GUITAR+AMP - eBay (item 190436200584 end time Sep-05-10 18:28:00 PDT)

I have finally found a 7-string and amp for purchase (and got it). I think I got a good deal. I estimate I saved around 40% if I had bought it all new. Now I just have to wait for the proper shipping protocols to occur ^_^

I know the Cube Combo was recommended here, but I saw this deal with the cube 20X 9and looked it up), and I got it! ^_^ I don't think I'll need the battery feature lol.

Thanks for the help/advice, can't WAIT to play this thing hehe I'm sooo psyched :)

Any tips on what I should/shouldn't do when I get it? I plan to go look at this site's learning section and start over from the beginning (review shouldn't be too hard for 2 months) because I haven't gotten to play in a while, lol.

Again, thanks! :D

JacobShredder

Reaction score
Good job man! You'll enjoy it.

When you get it, take it to a local store and get it set up properly. Neck adjustments, intonation, action, with new strings.

As far as learning, get your theory down and then move on to learning songs you like that will help with your skill progression. Play the song slowly and accurately and build up speed with it till you can play it regular speed cleanly.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
I had been playing the guitar for very little time when I got my first seven string. It's as simple to play as a 6, if you're not using the low E as a reference. The one noticeably tougher thing about 7's is just damping in high gain situations, but I don't think you'll have much trouble there unless you're a die-hard tapper and pick like Marty Friedman. Since I do, I had to practice a tad more to get it right. :lol:

This is so true. Damping can be a real bugger on a 7.

If you're just starting out, you might want to try perfect fourths tuning as well. We waste so much time learning redundant shapes to account for that bloody major third :wallbash:

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
This is so true. Damping can be a real bugger on a 7.

If you're just starting out, you might want to try perfect fourths tuning as well. We waste so much time learning redundant shapes to account for that bloody major third :wallbash:

You sir, are speaking in Greek to me <.<

And I'll FINALLY get my guitar this coming saturday! :3

LxCxExCx

Reaction score
This thing is amazing. I haven't found a scratch on it, and there seems to be no fret wear! :D

It came with a Silvertone Strap oddly enough. Not complaining, just saying... o_O

Pics, as promised:

Photo0160.jpg

Photo0161.jpg

Photo0162.jpg

Photo0163.jpg

Not sure how to get more pics... I have about 8 more...

Photo0164.jpg

')