Cheap (probably solidstate) poweramps?

• Thread starter Unknown Doodl3.2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
I just bought my main amp head, and I've got enough left over to buy a cheap power amp so I can put my PodXTL through it. Something 200$ or below would be preferable, but my budget isn't fixed. I heard a few names like rocktron, marshall etc... But I'm only knowledgable in the bigger, more expensive power amps so any help would be cool! :)

Any of you have any experience with the ADA microtube series?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Crate Powerblock. 150W or 75W stereo, perfect with POD's.

How much do they go for over your side of the Atlantic?

$200 US or CDN?

Unknown Doodl3.2

look at each other..
Reaction score
Crate Powerblock. 150W or 75W stereo, perfect with POD's.

How much do they go for over your side of the Atlantic?

$200 US or CDN?

With the value of the dollar 200 US or CDN doesn't mean much of a difference these days :lol:

I'll check out the crate, but I was hoping maybe something rackmount (1 space)

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Rocktron Velocity 120 can usually be had for between 100-150$.
The Powerblocks are about 150$ last i checked.

Edroz

new album soon!
Reaction score
the Carvin HD900 or HD1800 are both dirt cheap and excellent amps. and i'm sure can be found for next to nothing used.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I'd go with a Rocktron Velocity if possible. As has been said, the Crate Powerblock isn't half bad. It gets a little muddy running through the front, but I run my model-based rig through the Crate's power amp when I don't want to mess with tubes, and it actually sounds really damn good for a solid state power amp. The only thing is that there's no volume control running it straight into the power amp like that, so you'll have to use your POD's master out to control the volume or go deaf. The Velocity is probably still a bit better, though, especially since you want to put it in a rack.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I have a PowerBlock and it's quite impressive running into the line in on the back. Very clean and articulate, though not the quietest of amps. (My Peavey Classic 50/50 was dead silent when i wasn't playing through it.) And in stereo, the PowerBlock's channel separation is incredible.

If you're looking at PA amps, you may want to consider getting one that can be bridged to mono operation. I found that to be a useful option on both the Peavey and the Crate.

Scott

Aye.
Contributor
Reaction score
If you want a Carvin TS100 (Tube) I'm letting mine go for $300 :D

May need a new faceplate from carvin if the damage bugs you, but it's $40 US for a replacement face.

Do it.

Benzesp

Banned
Reaction score
check musicians friend scratch and dent.... I bought a Behringer 2500 watt poweramp for 250 dollars for my PA rig. I saw a lot of others on there. get at least 400 watts for a guitar rig.

Diatenshi

Need a Tampa Band.
Reaction score
I heard the Behringer Europower 1500 was good, its about $250 I believe.

')