Cheap Recording Monitors??

• Thread starter SoItGoesRVA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
Looking to pick up some decent recording monitors. Used doesn't bother me, but I'm not looking to spend over 200. I've been looking at the KRK Rokit 5" monitors. but I'm a nooblet when it comes to recording, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheDepthsWillRise

Reaction score
If you can stretch just a little more cash, you can sometimes find a pair of Yamaha HS50Ms in the mid $200s. I have a pair, and absolutely love them.

atoragon

Reaction score
I agree with the yamaha hs50m. the minimum to obtain a realistic sound. stay away from the m-audio ones, they're not representative of what you're going to hear with other speakers.

Berzerker

Reaction score
Dunno how you could do better than a Gen2 KRK Rokit right now... Gen 3 just came out so Gen 2 are on fire sale. Really the only difference is a bass crossover on the G3. I got the 8 because it's the most speaker for your money and they don't need a sub if you want to hear the low end.

5" $115 ea.
6" $139 ea.
8" $153 ea.

Amazon.com: KRK RP5G2 Rokit G2 5In Powered Studio Monitor (Single Speaker): Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: KRK RP6G2 Rokit G2 6-inch Powered Studio Monitor (Single Speaker): Musical Instruments

Amazon.com: KRK RP8G2 Rokit G2 8In Powered Studio Monitor, Single Monitor: Musical Instruments

If cheap is your desire, then craigslist is your friend. I see KRK 5s on there for $150-$200 all the time. Although you can have new for not much more right now.

Reaction score
I'm also noob to monitors and have been looking into KRK Rokits, but I hear your mixes come out way too bassy on other speakers. They are priced right though. *shrugs* still trying to decide.

atoragon

Reaction score
the krk unfortunately tend to not be flat, and this is what you need from a monitor. If they're not flat, you might as well keep the pc ones and mix with them.

SoItGoesRVA

Do You Even Riff?
Reaction score
I A/B'd the KRKs to the Yamahas with a mix I'm familiar with, and the KRKs were much much clearer and more responsive to my ears. So that's what I got.

noise in my mind

Reaction score
I'm gonna go against the grain here. Recording monitors and room treatment is an area you don't want to cut corners on. You would probably be better off spending the money on a nice pair of headphones.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I've had to work with KRKs on far too many occasions and I absolutely hate the bastards...

To echo what's said above, don't cut corners here, cheap is basically useless most of the time with monitors.

If I were you I'd save up and rather look into something like the Adam A7 or Focal CMS50s, you could probably find them second hand in your country for a reasonable amount and if not they're not the most heinously priced things new.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Get yourself some nice headphones if you wanna go the cheap way :yesway:
Although I have a pair of Rokits here (other than that I use Barefoot and HS80M monitors) and I like them :lol:

morethan6

Reaction score
The advice here is all good - there is always a better set of monitors for more money.

The best deal at the moment is Rokit G2s. Get them. Then treat your room really really well.

Give me average monitors in a great, well treated room over expensive monitors in a untreated space any day of the week.

Acoustic treatment people! I say it every time :)

Daybreak

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of M-Audio BX8:s last week. Got to listen to those, a pair of Rokits and a pair of Adam A5X:s, and although the Adams sounded the best, they aren't really in my price range. I listen to the Rokits just after that and compared to the Adams, it sounded muddier and much more treble than the Adams, didn't like them all. BX8:s sounded even across the frequency (although not as even as the Adam's) and had really nice bass response, so I went with them.

Just my two cents though!

Narrillnezzurh

Sir Clipsalot
Reaction score
the krk unfortunately tend to not be flat, and this is what you need from a monitor. If they're not flat, you might as well keep the pc ones and mix with them.

Flat is the last thing you need from any speaker you plan to mix on, you'll adjust to the frequency response naturally over time. What you need is good transient response and as little resonance as possible.

I listen to the Rokits just after that and compared to the Adams, it sounded muddier and much more treble than the Adams, didn't like them all.

This was my experience as well when I tried the Rokits. They struck me more as a hi-fi speaker than a monitor.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
^ well yeah. They might not be the greatest speakers for mixing but goddamn they're awesome for listening music!

Weareclocks

Producer/Musician
Reaction score
I'm gonna go against the grain here. Recording monitors and room treatment is an area you don't want to cut corners on. You would probably be better off spending the money on a nice pair of headphones.

+1

OP; I recommend alot of the Beyers that are in your collective price range, but if you want to stay a bit more on the cost effective side look no further than Sony MDR-7506's.

Monitors can be great for referencing the extremes of your mixes, but honestly flat response headphones are the best for detailing the midrange of your mixes as well as developing your ear.

Plus, monitors, as others have mentioned, will sound drastically different from room to room unless each is properly treated: an investment you might want to wait a while on if you're just getting into mixing/production.

Best of luck in your search!

')