Cheap, solid, metal 7 recommendations

• Thread starter MarcusWester420
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new 7 string on the cheap. I've been playing 7's and 8's (mainly 7's) for about 5 years, and have used Schecter, LTD, Ibanez, and PRS 7's. I have played nothing better than the PRS 7 string. Was absolutely in love with the feel, sound, and the 25.5" scale, but had to let it go recently. Now it's time to get back in the saddle, and I've got a budget of about 400. I need recommendations for a battleaxe that brings the thunder in the styles of Northlane, After the Burial, In Hearts Wake, etc. Something hella metal, something hella cheap. :hbang:
Been considering Agiles and low-end Schecters, possibly swapping out the stock bridge with SD's Nazgul.
Bring the rec's!

:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

androponic

Reaction score
go to zzounds.com and look at the schecter banshee. its on clearance for 499. the passive model comes with the nazgul and sentient combo. the active one is the same price. its about a 60 percent savings of the normal price. I know ita a little over your budget but you cant lose since you could easily sell it for close to what you pay if you dont gel with it. and if you dont buy from them, any other major reseller will price match the price. i had musicians friend match it for me on two of them.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
Go on the classifieds here and get an old RG7X2X. They can be had for right around your budget and they slay. Often they come with pickup upgrades, and if you're lucky you can find one for far below your budget.

A few years ago I got an RG7620 with a case from a fellow SSO member for $450 and I liked it so much that I got an RG7421 last year that was in pretty bad shape for $220. I'm almost done with my refinish/mod project and I think I'll have like $500 invested (including BKPs) when I'm done.

Reaction score
go to zzounds.com and look at the schecter banshee. its on clearance for 499. the passive model comes with the nazgul and sentient combo. the active one is the same price. its about a 60 percent savings of the normal price. I know ita a little over your budget but you cant lose since you could easily sell it for close to what you pay if you dont gel with it. and if you dont buy from them, any other major reseller will price match the price. i had musicians friend match it for me on two of them.

I'm sorry, did you just say Zzounds had a Banshee for about $300 off? Uh, HELL YEAH.
:hbang:

JustinG60

Reaction score
eh, something about a Schecter i just don't like. oh yeh, it's the neck. i know people will rip on me for it but the neck of every Schecter i have ever played has a cheap feel to it. the rest of the guitar always exceeds expectations for the price though. personally i have found if i am going to own an import guitar it's going to be a Jackson.

I would look into the SLATTXMG3-7 for a standard bridge. should be pretty easy to find one in your price range. my other guitarist is even more of a USA guitar person than i am and he has been impressed by every import Jackson we have used as a demo guitar.

...further, after playing Jackson Broderick Pro he has decided he doesn't like his limited edition Jeff Loomis graphic Schecter and it's been in it's box ever since. very very rare even picks up his KM7 now too. seems like playing my Jackson made him just want to stick with RC7's or nothing at all haha

PFlynn

Reaction score
You could get a Jackson JS22-7 or JS32-7 and have some money leftover for a Duncan set. Agile has quite a few in that price range too.

Latest posts

')