Cheaper bass parts

• Thread starter bennerman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bennerman

Reaction score
Hey, I am working on a prototype for a line of guitars I hope to construct. The plan is to sell the basses for 400 dollars a piece. Problem is, hardware is 200 dollars, and I will be lucky if I can get the wood for 100 dollars. So that's 100 dollars a guitar I get for me. However, I guitar'll take 30 hours AT LEAST, so that's $3.33 an hour, which just isn't feasible. The parts are coming from stewmac, but does anyone know where I can get parts for cheaper than that?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Then go generic. Stew Mac deals primarily in high quality, name brand components. Places like Guitar Fetish, Rondo (the very few parts they have), Universal Jems, and eBay all offer cheaper, often Chinese non-branded parts.

Though, if you don't have the capital for parts, then perhaps you should evaluate your business plan.

bennerman

Reaction score
Then go generic. Stew Mac deals primarily in high quality, name brand components. Places like Guitar Fetish, Rondo (the very few parts they have), Universal Jems, and eBay all offer cheaper, often Chinese non-branded parts.

Though, if you don't have the capital for parts, then perhaps you should evaluate your business plan.

I'm still in the prototype stage. Our Razzy is the official tester for this venture

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not trying to bring you down or anything, but I really think you need to evaluate your short and long term goals and expenses. :2c:

Best of luck. :hbang:

bennerman

Reaction score
I do appreciate that you are trying to help, but everyone agrees I have a good idea. And many people in history have made it with a good idea and a lot less money to their name than I.

Edit: though the sources you have listed will be helpful, and for that I thank you :)

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
+1 for GFS
$60 can get you a bridge and wilkinson tuners. You planning on doing guitars too or just basses?

edit: also lmii has good deals on fretwire I think fretwire

bennerman

Reaction score
+1 for GFS
$60 can get you a bridge and wilkinson tuners. You planning on doing guitars too or just basses?

Just basses at the moment, though I do have a couple of ideas for a boutique and neon version. The standard line comes first though :D

edit: Max, although Guitar Fetish doesn't have all the parts I need, you have cut a good 40 dollars off my overhead, and in the long run, you have no idea how helpful that will be. Thank you so much :)

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
Not trying to bring you down or anything, but I really think you need to evaluate your short and long term goals and expenses. :2c:

Best of luck. :hbang:

This. Something has to give, and it should probably be your price point.

Do you have any experience running a company or starting a manufacturing business, or even building instruments?

How are you going to cover warranty expenses, QC, your costs, your time, and provide a product that is better than a $400 Ibanez, Squier, Schecter, etc.? Just saying, setting a price point that aggressive is tricky if you're not building in bulk in Asia.

Latest posts

')