Cheapest smallest frfr speakers for axefx?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
Looking for something at home to play at bedroom levels..anything?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Personally, I have a set of KRK Rokit 6 monitors that I really quite like. Depending on how much volume you want & how much you have to spend, there are lots of options. MF has 5" JBL monitors for $150 each and I've heard good things about them.

Studio Monitors | Musician's Friend

It's a bit of a balancing act, really. If you're on a tight budget you want to get a good deal but at the same time, you really have to look at the frequency response range. I had a set of Fostex monitors that sounded decent for the price I paid ($179 for the set) but they weren't so great with the high end (they peaked out at 22 KHz). I spent a bit more on the KRKs because they go up to 35 KHz and the difference was night & day. It made the old ones sound like they were still in a box or something, the new ones were so clear sounding.

So yeah, if you set a price range, it'll be a bit easier to narrow down what to recommend.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Agreed on the above, headphones or studio monitors (or monitor) will be the smallest and probably cheapest option.

Personally I would go with a single studio monitor over headphones, but that's just me. What is your price range?

SnoozyWyrm

Reaction score
Posting in thread cause I am interested in getting headphones for silent practice with the POD as well. I was looking at the M50x,the beyerdynamic dt770 or 880 and the akg 271. Any preferences from those?

WolleK

Reaction score
I know everyone has his preference but i recommend ATH M50. Bought mine 3 years ago, used it all the time with my Kemper, never looked back using another headphones.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I've recently posted this in a similar thread but a lot of folks dig the ATH M50x headphones. I'm cheap so I got the M30x cans and I love em

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Between Shure, Sennheiser, Sony, AKG, AT, etc. basically the "audio brands" once you hit about $150 you're going to be getting roughly the same sound quality so let features and comfort guide you from there.

If you expand your budget to $250 you'll find some objectively better sounding headphones, but it starts getting into the audiophile zone.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
I've recently posted this in a similar thread but a lot of folks dig the ATH M50x headphones. I'm cheap so I got the M30x cans and I love em

I really depends on how much you use them. I had been using the M20 headphones for a while but since I use headphones 80% of the time, I decided to suck it up and buy a pair of the M50-X, half expecting to return them after not noticing enough of a difference to justify the price. I ended up keeping them because the difference was very noticeable. The 20's were a bit dark & muffled compared to the M50X mainly because of the lower frequency response range. You wouldn't think 20 KHz vs 28 KHz would be that drastic but it certainly is. The M50X are so much clearer, it really is worth it if you a) can afford them and b) if you spend a lot of time using headphones for practice.

If you either can't afford them or don't use 'phones a lot, then the M30 set should work just fine.

eh6

Reaction score
Laney IRT-X, which is a powered FRFR. I use it for Kemper and it feels much more real to me than headphones or monitors. Is also light, has a ton of connections, and can get pretty loud if you want it to, so also useful for travel (plug in a pre-amp, plug in an amp sim from your phone, etc.).

Spinedriver

Reaction score
:lol: I'm sure you and I have had this same discussion in another thread, but im pretty broke

I hear ya. :lol:

The ATH-M20/30 are still MILES ahead of using just regular headphones that you would use with a stereo or mp3 player (ie: Skullcandy, Beats, etc..) and they aren't all that expensive.

bnzboy

Asian Dying
Reaction score
I use an EV ZLX-12P and it kicks ass. It can cover from whisper quite level to wall shattering loud.

Latest posts

')