Cheapest way to achieve an acceptable tone for my 8 string.

• Thread starter Kavnar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kavnar

Reaction score
I'm basically scrapping all the gear I've got and starting over. This time building around a Meshuggah-esque tone. As my gear is not worth very much at the minute I'm going to struggle to afford any high end gear but I wont rule it out. I'm looking for a basic amp head and cab set up and as little effects and stop boxes as possible.

So what do you guys think is the cheapest way to afford an acceptable meshuggah-esque tone?:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rectifryer

Banned
Reaction score
Bah some are going suggest a POD but an Engl e530 preamp direct into a computer with impulses is the way I do it.

The song in my sig wasnt recorded that way, it was recorded with a pod and impulses as well as alot of EQing.

Kavnar

Reaction score
Bah some are going suggest a POD but an Engl e530 preamp direct into a computer with impulses is the way I do it.

The song in my sig wasnt recorded that way, it was recorded with a pod and impulses as well as alot of EQing.

The song in your sig sounds great, but I'm definitely looking for a basic head and cab setup. Cheers for the info though! :yesway:

Kavnar

Reaction score
I knew people would reply with the used Peavey's but they're not really an option. It's hard to find a used Peavey in England and brand new they cost a bomb. My budget for the head is around £600-700 at the minute. Just so i can spare some for a decent cab.

BabUShka

Reaction score
Check out Thomann Cyberstore
I bet they ship to England. I'm guying the Marshall JVM and Framus 212 V30 cabinet soon.
Good prices and good service.

PnKnG

Banned
Reaction score
The song in your sig sounds great, but I'm definitely looking for a basic head and cab setup. Cheers for the info though! :yesway:

I hope it doesn't bothers you but exactly why do you need a head cab setup? Do you play gigs?

My suggestion would be a used Pod X3 that you either run directly into the mixer at a gig or if you really want a head+cab setup get either a Solid State Poweramp and a 2x12 with speakers that are as "neutral" as possible and leave poweramp and cab simulation on or if you really need a tube setup get a tube poweramp and a 2x12 with speakers of your liking and shut of the poweramp and cab sim in the pod and use it as a preamp.

Kavnar

Reaction score
I hope it doesn't bothers you but exactly why do you need a head cab setup? Do you play gigs?

My suggestion would be a used Pod X3 that you either run directly into the mixer at a gig or if you really want a head+cab setup get either a Solid State Poweramp and a 2x12 with speakers that are as "neutral" as possible and leave poweramp and cab simulation on or if you really need a tube setup get a tube poweramp and a 2x12 with speakers of your liking and shut of the poweramp and cab sim in the pod and use it as a preamp.

The main reason for me wanting a Head a cab is because I'll be playing gigs yes, but I won't rule out any other options. I just want a good tone from something that's simple to set up and just play.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
The CHEAPEST way to get a meshuggah-esque tone in my opinion is to go POD, you don't even have to get the newest POD X3, you could get a used POD XT and still get good results.

Other options for a head/cab set up would be the Engl route or a Mesa Rectifier, both of which aren't exactly cheap.

Maybe even try to find a used Line 6 Vetta I or II. That would probably be your best bet, because a used Vetta I can be had pretty cheap these days.

brodjentle

Reaction score
what if you buy a combo just mic the combo or buy a 2x12 with the combo and have a bad ass sounding small rig to play gigs with. and it may be cheaper to do it that way thats a thought. mesas sound great ive got a mesa boogie rocket 440 that sounds great for any mushuggah tones i can get alot of great tones out of her and the clean channel isnt terrible either. hope this helps!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The cheapest way would be to run POD > Cheap SS Power Amp > Used Marshall Cab.

')