Check my squat

• Thread starter Tiger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger

Reaction score
Theres a few guys on here who know what they are doing.

I added squats to my regime about four months ago off and on. I couldnt do them consistently cause I burn out my legs and couldnt run as well.

Anyway, I took this vid for my Air Force buddy but you can look too.

P1270038 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Nothing special, its the 5th set so weight is down, currently I can do 250 comfortable but considering my bench is 240 I'd like to see it go up into the 300's in the next month or two. Yes I squat deep.

Tell me if Im fucking up, yes it got away from me on the 4th one so I racked it.

(Pride protector: This is after I swam 2 hours)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SevenStringSam

Beware the glube!
Reaction score
keep your back very straight. and look up to the sky with your head. try to get your but straight with your knees. like your taking a dump. breath in going down. breath out going up. i do 500 for my max a 340 comfortable. even at 250 if you mess up you can be put in a wheelchair and trust me on this. it happened to my teams left tackle. remember. back. sky. breathing. and dump. this will help very much and your legs wont burt out as fast after a while

Tiger

Reaction score
This weight feels very comfortable even after a lot of sets, but you hit it on the head, I want my form perfect before I go trouncing off into 300+ territory.

-K4G-

Go Auckland Blues!
Reaction score
keep your back very straight. and look up to the sky with your head. try to get your but straight with your knees. like your taking a dump. breath in going down. breath out going up. i do 500 for my max a 340 comfortable. even at 250 if you mess up you can be put in a wheelchair and trust me on this. it happened to my teams left tackle. remember. back. sky. breathing. and dump. this will help very much and your legs wont burt out as fast after a while

:scratch: look up to the sky? That should put further unnecessary strain on your neck.
Actually Tiger, you've pretty much nail it. Just get a spotter to make sure that your knee doesn't pass the toe line and your back doesn't arch too much. :yesway:

SevenStringSam

Beware the glube!
Reaction score
yes i did. and your form is very good but if you refine it and do what i said. your lifting would be improving drastically. your form now is how i used to squat then my coach told me what i told you and i tried it and my squats increased exponentially

jam3v

wat
Reaction score
Your form is mostly good, and you're supposed to look forward, NOT up.

The only thing I noticed is that your form quickly deteriorated after your first rep. I noticed that you didn't go as far down on the 2nd rep as you did the first. Look at your video and use that first rep as a benchmark. You should be going that low EVERY time.

A lot of people cheat squats and that's why you see them doing lots of weight; they don't go all the way down. This will put you in the position to easily injure your back.

Maybe it was because you swam, or whatever, but for this particular situation it looks like you should have been doing slightly less weight.

Not going all the way down will you leave you vulnerable in other exercises that require the specific muscles that get worked when you DO go all the way down. The same is true for benching. You need to go all the way to your chest without touching it. If you don't you will neglect important muscles that will make the exercise more dangerous.

Remember, go DEEP for squats. Check out this link : http://www.aceathlete.com/hatch/video.htm Under "Olympic Lifting" on the right hand side, click the "Back Squat" video. That's perfect form.

Tiger

Reaction score
Thanks all, good advice. I generally try to do everything I read here:

How to Squat with Proper Technique without Injuring Yourself | StrongLifts.com

I struggled on that one just from being tired. My workouts are so ridiculous these days, I love it but its rough. I honestly feel I can do more weight, in about four days Ill go back and add to it when Im fresh. One of these days Ill invent time and have a dedicated weight day.

-K4G-

Go Auckland Blues!
Reaction score

Labrie

King of the Swing
Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me. I have really bad knees but I love doing squats. I find if I use a wider than normal stance it takes a bit more stress of my knees.

Latest posts

')