Check out my band's ANALOG recording (Engl, Orange, Emperor content)

• Thread starter rug
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
Man, I missed this thread, I saw your thread of the finished album. I'm the one who bought OMG's NO at the same time and preferred this. Still do :shred:

I was talking to my singer the other day about this and played he some (He dug it too btw) And we were talking about how you must have recorded the album. Neither of us guessed tape. But it sounds so fat and huge and awesome still.

I can now go show off and pretend I'm some kinda genius and I figured it out :lol::lol:

One question, what axe are you using on this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rug

Reaction score
Yeah man, I remember! :) I just used an Ibanez MMM1 baritone, stock pickups, for everything except my solo in the second song. The pickups in that guitar are really muddy, so the Engl does a lot of the work, clarity wise. When I started to track the solo it just sounded like garbage, so I used my LTD Stephen Carpenter 607B with BKP Warpigs, and it sounded a lot better. One thing that was kinda tricky was relearning how to play that solo on a 7 string as opposed to a 6 string - the intervals change on the higher strings so it took a few minutes to figure out what the hell was going on. You know, the classic recording horror story of band getting to the studio and then "oh God, the fucking guitarist doesn't even know his solo" hahahahahahaha.

I was hoping to have a set of BKPs in the MMM1 before recording but just didn't have the cash. Really looking forward to upgrading my rig with some Warpigs and a few other noise pedals for the next batch of songs. I bought one of the PT Grande pedalboards in anticipation of the new pedals and such, but right now it's a little sparse. One of my friends calls it "The American Dream", as a pedalboard manifestation of the US - densely populated on the East Coast, and wide open spaces to the west. :D

peagull

Urwało mi dupę
Reaction score
Oh Lord, I remember a while back asking for pup suggestions for a custom based on my 607b and I just realised it was you who suggested Warpigs :lol:

I'm having to sell mine to fun the Agile Pendulum I just scored :( never did get the custom or replace the pups...... ha ha

You know, the classic recording horror story of band getting to the studio and then "oh God, the fucking guitarist doesn't even know his solo" hahahahahahaha.

And every solo (I use that term loosely) I have ever recorded has ended up with the producer making me noodle for ages then pulling the best bits out and re-learning it in some semblance of order to do some proper takes.

Back on topic before I start to ramble wildly, again would never have guessed the MMM1, more pics and videos of your rig if you have em would be appreciated, really love your tone on the record :shred:

rug

Reaction score
Yeah...solos are tough to construct. For me anyway. This was one of the last songs written and our drummer said that we needed a song with a shreddy solo. Uh...ok, I guess! I got lucky and was able to come up with the basis for this one in 15 minutes, with minor tweaks as time went on. That's pretty much how the whole album went, really. The basis of our parts came together very quickly, and then we tinkered with things as time went on.

I don't have any video of my rig, but I do have partial shots of it in our recording photo album on FB. We had a bunch of our friends bring in their pedals after the main tracking was done purely to experiment and see if we could get some cool noise sounds to put in various spots on the album, so that's in there as well. Hopefully this link works...

Album Tracking @ Signaturetone | Facebook

Yeah, the MMM1 works for me with this particular band. With those thick ass strings it is a good facilitator to playing those dumb, caveman riffs and preventing me from trying to do anything too cute or note-y. The extended scale length also makes those low notes really clear, so that helps a ton too. Pretty sure it would have sounded like balls on a 25.5 scale or whatever.

Found that guitar on Craigslist for $250 and it was a total steal. Neck through guitar that stays in tune for days on end? Yes please.

Raayl

Reaction score
solos are definitely the hardest thing to write

but i just keep coming back to this thread. too much awesome happening here. fuck

callankirk

Reaction score
That would be SO sick if you guys came to Pittsburgh! I'd come out without a doubt. Lots of decent venues around these parts.

And as for the tone, honestly I think it's sick. You can really hear the Engl pushing hard, I love the way it sounds! The muddiness of the MMM1 pups worked out perfectly. Sludgy is as sludgy does. Loving it.

Smallz

Reaction score
That would be SO sick if you guys came to Pittsburgh! I'd come out without a doubt. Lots of decent venues around these parts.

And as for the tone, honestly I think it's sick. You can really hear the Engl pushing hard, I love the way it sounds! The muddiness of the MMM1 pups worked out perfectly. Sludgy is as sludgy does. Loving it.

Hopefully see us around that area sometime next summer. We aren't really able to do much out of regional midwest weekend stuff until then.

Silence2-38554

Mobius Guitars
Reaction score
This is right along the lines of Rosetta or North, both of which are a couple of my favorite bands. Very good job, fellas!

DeKay

Caynug
Reaction score
Wheres the instumental of this album? I need it guys, I stopped listening to this album since I cant bare the vocals for a long time. I freaking love the crushing instrumentals tho!

rug

Reaction score
Thanks dude, glad you like it! Necro bump FTW. :D

Sorry DeKay, no instrumental version though, just the regular one.

')