Check out this awesome bass player

• Thread starter Philligan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if this should be in Basses or GMD. Sorry if I'm wrong mods :wub:

Inspired by theoctopus's ACG thread, I started googling them, and stumbled across this awesome video. The guy starts out with an ADAE tuning, and has a Hipshot Xtender for each tuner, so he changes the tuning for each string as part of the riff.

He's got embedding disabled, so here's the link. Pretty awesome stuff :yesway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bieskA5R7hY

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yup, first thing I thought of was Manring, too. This stuff is a pretty neat trick.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
When he first started playing, I thought it was just going to be a cover of Manring's Selene. As the song went on, I wished it were.

Also, since Manring's already been posted, have some Adrian Legg:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
That Michael Manring dude is nuts... :holy:

Also... Any clue what electronics he's running? I can't get my harmonics to come out anywhere near that loud.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Man! you gots to be fast with the levers! :eek:

I had not heard of Manring either - thanks for that! That is some good stuff!

OP's vid ... the composition was a bit sleepy but he has a good tone - I love the sound of a fretless bass! That growl! :bowdown:

jonajon91

New Picture
Reaction score
Can anyone link me to somewhere where I can buy those tuners or let me know how much they cost?

---edit---

Never mind, I googled it.

angus

Reaction score
He's good for sure, but to my ears he was just biting Manring's style, and not doing it as well.

That's what all of them do- poor-imitation-bordering-on-satire of Manring. Same technique, but missing the substance, motion and content in the music. They love the idea of the technique moreso than using it as a tool to achieve a sound.

Herrick

Hello Mangs
Reaction score
I thought the video in the OP was a little boring. It made me want to listen to Mangring. Then I see someone posted Mangring and I was like, "Sheeit, negro!"

That Jon Gomm mang is pretty amazing. I never heard of him before. You can tell he is one of those musicians who is At One with his instrument. Very talented.

')