Check out this cute little guy...

• Thread starter Jeff
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
http://www.peavey.com/news/article.cfm/action/view/id/210/20061407.cfm

Through a couple JJ's and swap the speaker for a Celestion, and that's a damn cool little practice recording amp. And they're only $199, maybe less if you can talk them down. I know the place I got my head from lists the head at $499 on the web, and I paid $450.

This looks mighty attractive, since I can't barely ever use my VK due to how loud it is.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've been tempted to try the Valve King head, I can get it for £275 new. Maybe I'll pick one of these up as a practice amp, 100W valve heads are too loud for home practice. Especially if they say "Laney" on the front.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
metalfiend666 said:
I've been tempted to try the Valve King head, I can get it for £275 new. Maybe I'll pick one of these up as a practice amp, 100W valve heads are too loud for home practice. Especially if they say "Laney" on the front.

Yeah I can't get above 1 without shit starting to rattle, and even though I do plan on getting a Hot Plate eventually, it'd be sweet to have this little amp too, to really drive the shit out of. Celestion makes an 8" speaker to swap in, and it only has 1 12AX7 and 1 EL84, so swapping in JJ's would be cheap. I bet I can get it (the amp) for ~ $175 or so at my local dealer. It'd be a damn cool recording amp.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
My Laney doesn't really start making anything over a whisper noise until it hits 1, then it gets loud very quickly. A hot plate is on my list of stuff to get if this amp sticks about.

I like the idea of one of these as a recording amp. Not sure how well the 8" speaker will handle 7 strings though, especially with my baritone tuned down to F#.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
The Dark Wolf said:
Very neat little amp. :yesway:

Yeah, and my in-laws are getting me a Keeley modded SD-1, and I bet that would send this little sucker over the edge.

But like Metalfiend said, it could sound farty with a 7, even tuned to B like mine. Still be cool with the sixxers though.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
playstopause said:
Anyone tried one?

I am not sure that they've shipped yet, but I am going to run by my dealer this weekend and ask.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score

He doesn't have one yet; he said the first week of December. And I am like the 5th person to ask for it!

I bet Peavey will sell a lot of them, because they're ideal for recording and practice. I'm definitely going to bring my 7 to the shop though to try it when he gets it, because I'd like to see how it does with that.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
You have to live on a farm to play very loud.

It's to noissy on the other house when you are playing with a 100 watts Tube Head?

Because here no one says me nothing, i will keep pleying hehe loud.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
He doesn't have one yet; he said the first week of December. And I am like the 5th person to ask for it!

I bet Peavey will sell a lot of them, because they're ideal for recording and practice. I'm definitely going to bring my 7 to the shop though to try it when he gets it, because I'd like to see how it does with that.

I know it's off-topic, but how is the ValveKing?

I played the 1x12" version. I'm thinking about the 2x12" or the head, is it good for really metal shit? If not, I'll end up getting a Madison.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
Lots of posts here discussing the valveking.

I've tried it once, but only for 10 minutes. Too many people around in the store... Gotta give it a 2nd try someday 'cause i wasn't convinced.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. And on top of that, every time I get to play one, there are no sevens around. I guess I'll have to bring mine sometime.

eviltoaster

Reaction score
an 8 speaker combo amp with 5 watts will handle the b string as bad as an amp can logically

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I know it's off-topic, but how is the ValveKing?

I played the 1x12" version. I'm thinking about the 2x12" or the head, is it good for really metal shit? If not, I'll end up getting a Madison.

The Madison probably has more gain on its own that the VK does, but I really like the ValveKing. Very dynamic, smooth sound, and with an overdrive pedal it does metal just fine.

The JJ Hign Gain kit will probably take the gain to where it needs to be, without having to use a boost pedal.

an 8 speaker combo amp with 5 watts will handle the b string as bad as an amp can logically

That really depends entirely on the speaker. If what you said were true 100% of the time, playing bass through my mixer, and then out my 8" monitors would sound horrible. But it doesn't. True, these are full range speakers as opposed to a guitar speaker, but if the speaker was done right, it can handle a B.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. And on top of that, every time I get to play one, there are no sevens around. I guess I'll have to bring mine sometime.

I suggest the head/cab route or changing out the speakers in the combo. I had a chance to crank the 212 and it sounded pretty bad loud. I did, however, play the head with 412 cab. It was considerably better, but the valve king speakers just don't do the trick IMO.

My $0.02

')