Check this out. Just opened guitar that arrived in post.

• Thread starter IbanezDaemon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
NGD NGD NGD

What like anyone has anything better to do than a proper NGD and demo these days! )

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree. The force required to pop that out would otherwise damage the guitar.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
How??? Impossible. Must have shipped it like that.

Pic taken by the seller the day before the guitar shipped to me:

rg3270.jpg

GoldDragon

Reaction score
Try removing it by hand. You will see that under tension, with the springs in place its impossible. If you cant remove it by hand, no bump during shipping will do it.

The only way maybe it could happen is if the neck wasnt under tension. Is that a thing when shipping guitars?

Is it also possible that the seller swapped the bridge before shipping it?

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Try removing it by hand. You will see that under tension, with the springs in place its impossible. If you cant remove it by hand, no bump during shipping will do it.

The only way maybe it could happen is if the neck wasnt under tension. Is that a thing when shipping guitars?

Is it also possible that the seller swapped the bridge before shipping it?

I have guitars shipped regularly with the strings slackened off and never seen this. Dunno why he would swap the bridge out or ship it with the bridge in the position I received it. I paid by Paypal and he knows I could easily have put a claim in.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
I have guitars shipped regularly with the strings slackened off and never seen this. Dunno why he would swap the bridge out or ship it with the bridge in the position I received it. I paid by Paypal and he knows I could easily have put a claim in.

I think you know it defies the laws of physics, which is why I'm trying to see if there is another explanation. He might swap bridges if the one in the pics was a nicer condtion. I just don't know.

Louis Cypher

Reaction score
Nice score again @IbanezDaemon. Really glad you got it sorted out so easily and there was no damage to the guitar or bridge, but it is a real weird one. Happy NGD though!

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I think you know it defies the laws of physics, which is why I'm trying to see if there is another explanation. He might swap bridges if the one in the pics was a nicer condtion. I just don't know.

:shrug: Your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea as to how it happened. It's same bridge in the pics he sent me as the one I have here...same tarnishing marks and the saddles are in exactly the same position. Even with the bridge popped out like that I couldn't budge it at all. Had to slacken off the trem claw and remove all the springs. Mystery.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
:shrug: Your guess is as good as mine. I have no idea as to how it happened. It's same bridge in the pics he sent me as the one I have here...same tarnishing marks and the saddles are in exactly the same position. Even with the bridge popped out like that I couldn't budge it at all. Had to slacken off the trem claw and remove all the springs. Mystery.

Freaking weird.

My guess is that he did a last minute setup adjustment which involved removing the bridge, for some reason, maybe he took a shim out of the neck pocket. And when he put it back together, he was in a rush and didn't slot both knife edges in the posts....

Thats all I've got.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Freaking weird.

My guess is that he did a last minute setup adjustment which involved removing the bridge, for some reason, maybe he took a shim out of the neck pocket. And when he put it back together, he was in a rush and didn't slot both knife edges in the posts....

Thats all I've got.

I'm starting to think that way. The bridge all strung up and with 3 springs in the back isn't shifting like that...the knife edges or trem posts would have had to be damaged and they are fine. Has maybe attempted a set up and either botched it or panicked with a courier imminent and shoved it in the case anyway. I might check the file information on the pics he sent me and see if I can actually see the date the pics I got were taken.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
I'm starting to think that way. The bridge all strung up and with 3 springs in the back isn't shifting like that...the knife edges or trem posts would have had to be damaged and they are fine. Has maybe attempted a set up and either botched it or panicked with a courier imminent and shoved it in the case anyway. I might check the file information on the pics he sent me and see if I can actually see the date the pics I got were taken.

He probably had better springs in there which he swapped out for some others. Or maybe a pickup swap.

He had it face down on a bed, when he popped out the springs, the bridge fell out of the posts on one or both sides. He screwed the back plate on. May or may not have seen that the bridge was misaligned, but didn't have time to take off the backplate again and address it, so he just shipped it as is. Maybe he didn't get the price he wanted and decided it was an appropriate F-U.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
He probably had better springs in there which he swapped out for some others. Or maybe a pickup swap.

He had it face down on a bed, when he popped out the springs, the bridge fell out of the posts on one or both sides. He screwed the back plate on. May or may not have seen that the bridge was misaligned, but didn't have time to take off the backplate again and address it, so he just shipped it as is. Maybe he didn't get the price he wanted and decided it was an appropriate F-U.

Good points man. I've had the humbuckers out and they are Paf Pro's as stock. Don't care about the single coil as I never use it too much. Maybe he had a Tremel-no system installed that he wanted to keep so pulled that out and wrongly installed the trem again? I'd been watching this one for weeks and whilst he did drop his price incrementally I paid his asking price the first time I got in touch...no haggling or anything like that. I've had some contact with him and he's adamant guitar was shipped fully functional and packaged well.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Nice score again @IbanezDaemon. Really glad you got it sorted out so easily and there was no damage to the guitar or bridge, but it is a real weird one. Happy NGD though!

Cheers mate. Def a head scratcher for sure but I got trem and parts checked over very quickly and all set up again so no issues. I just now need to clean board, polish frets and new strings. I'll fire up an NGD soon. Looking about the house for a high E string...I broke 3 last week...lol....but there has to be one somewhere.

GoldDragon

Reaction score
When you put it back on the posts, was it in tune?

If it was in tune, there was no way it jumped the posts and the seller is lying.

If the strings were slacked, then maybe it could have jumped.

Doesn't matter now. Nice guitar. The good news is that its very unlikely it got a damaging jolt during shipping.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
When you put it back on the posts, was it in tune?

If it was in tune, there was no way it jumped the posts and the seller is lying.

If the strings were slacked, then maybe it could have jumped.

Doesn't matter now. Nice guitar. The good news is that its very unlikely it got a damaging jolt during shipping.

First thing I did was remove the locking pads and the strings, then I backed off the trem claw screws but marked the position the trem claw was in with masking tape, popped the springs off and took the trem out completely to check everything over, posts, knife edges etc. I then reinstalled the trem and put the trem claw back into same position and strung her up, tuned and the intonation was spot on. It's functioning perfectly now, super low action but I'm gonna do a bit more work to it. It's a cool guitar...thanks....and really appreciate all your input on this.

')