Chelsea Grin guitar and bass rig (Axe FX + more!)

• Thread starter Varkatzas
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I just realized that you have 4 Axe-Fx Ultras and 2 that are something else.

Holy fuck.

j_m_s

Reaction score
CTID, my bad I meant to just type JPs in general! Must've typed JP6s because thats what I'm after now. *facepalm*

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
In that last picture the neck on the sunburst JP looked really wide, I thought it was an 8 string and nearly had a heart attack.

Sweet rigs :yesway: do you notice any big differences between the Axe Fx 1 and 2?

amarshism

Reaction score
are you just using the cabs for stage volume and sending the axe direct to foh, or actually micing them up?

Varkatzas

Reaction score
are you just using the cabs for stage volume and sending the axe direct to foh, or actually micing them up?
We have tried running DI, but we find that it sounds too "shrill" and thin. We double mic our cabs with an SM57 and Marshal MXL 2001. We use Mesa oversized 4x12's.

9swfw6.jpg

Varkatzas

Reaction score
In that last picture the neck on the sunburst JP looked really wide, I thought it was an 8 string and nearly had a heart attack.

Sweet rigs :yesway: do you notice any big differences between the Axe Fx 1 and 2?
There isn't a real difference in tone between the Axe Fx Ultra and 2, but the convenience of a USB port, bigger screen, more effects/comps etc etc is pretty nice.

Levanther

Reaction score
We have tried running DI, but we find that it sounds too "shrill" and thin. We double mic our cabs with an SM57 and Marshal MXL 2001. We use Mesa oversized 4x12's.

So DI with the Axe FX's isn't the best thing for you guys? even when using the Axe 2 with the stereo cab option?

Varkatzas

Reaction score
So DI with the Axe FX's isn't the best thing for you guys? even when using the Axe 2 with the stereo cab option?
Yep. Nothing like double micing and getting actual air movement from the cab to the mic. We don't always play on the best PA's, and running DI on a shot PA is just the worst.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
haha YES. I live in NZ so there arent many venues here with amazing p.a. I'm moving to a D.I rig but keeping my poweramp as a backup as 60% of our shows are vocal/kick in small p.a only.

Levanther

Reaction score
So what everyone is basically stating is to have a really good power amp, preferably a real amp and not just like a Art Sla2?

It's great to get your opinion on this as you're a touring musician and have had experience in this!

Varkatzas

Reaction score
So what everyone is basically stating is to have a really good power amp, preferably a real amp and not just like a Art Sla2?

It's great to get your opinion on this as you're a touring musician and have had experience in this!
There is nothing wrong with using a dedicated power amp, it's just all upon opinion and preference I guess. We use our heads just because we like the tone we get, and we are afraid of change. Also, if for some reason there is a problem with an Axe Fx one night, we can just unplug the loop and run direct through the 6505.

')