Chelsea Grin Megathread

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Production isn't that amazing on my end, clips at a few points and it sounds a bit crowded at many parts when being played very loudly. At home with my own EQ and great headphones I can compensate and make it sound much better but it could definitely use a bit of work IMO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I don't know what you're listening to it on, but I actually thought this was one of hardest hitting albums i've heard in a long time.

9/10 on production from me.

Studio quality headphones. And I'm comparing it to other bands of the genre that sound better from a production standpoint.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Studio quality headphones. And I'm comparing it to other bands of the genre that sound better from a production standpoint.

Interesting. Guess it's all just opinion; because in my Boston equipped car, my Bose Earbuds and Bose headphones, it sounds incredible.

Regardless, the songwriting is just ace, in my opinion.

HoKrll

Reaction score
To me, it seems they went with a fuller, bass heavy mix. Instead of having the bass only be pronounced with the quick drum.
This would make it seem to "hit" less.
A bit different for this genre, but meh, I like it. Guitars are a bit low sometimes though

Reaction score
This album absolutely smashes their previous ones, aside from the 3 or 4 weaker songs. Playing with fire is a hell of an opening track and easily my favorite off the album followed by Nightmares. My only complaint is I would have liked to hear Jason whip out some insane solos.

Reaction score
I was not expecting anything from this album, but it is now my top "core" release so far this year. The songs are all fairly catchy and the dirty vocals are all clearly distinguishable. Lots of interesting plays on the classic parts of the genre. Really fun listen to get pumped up for the gym.

CTID

Pondering My Orb
Reaction score
I just got a new, much better car stereo, and with a flat EQ on it, this album makes me have to turn it down compared to others because it's so bass heavy. Not that I dislike the album itself, just something I've noticed.

I really enjoy the album though, and I'm actually glad that Jason isn't always shreddy, that was what made me meh about Evolve after awhile. I actually prefer Michael Stafford's leadwork on My Damnation over Jason's stuff because imo it's more tasteful.

Draceius

I hate everyone on this site
Reaction score
Parts of the album sounds like they took some of the samples and leads from Jason's song Thought, and put spread out the parts into different songs and it's worked really well. I like this album a tonne better than evolve, but I still hate Alex's vocals, I think this is going to be the thing that gets me about all of their music, but at least this time I can look past it.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I have listened to the album a lot now. I can't wait to get my pre-order package.

Illuminate and Morte Ætérna are easily my favorites.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I've been spinning this EP lately, so I guess that's why it probably sounds weak to me. :lol:

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I have listened to this album so many times, it's ridiculous. Talk about exceeding my expectations. The album comes out swinging with "Playing With Fire", brilliant opening track, really sets the tone. "Morte Ætérna" is probably my favorite track, it's just so nasty. "Illuminate" is easily the next favorite, very tastefully done song. Does anyone else find "Nightmares" to be brilliantly creepy? Seriously, the way the music and layers are composed, the way Alex's vocals sound, the lyrics... I find it to be a very eery song and I love it. I think the only song I can't totally get down on is "Cheers To Us", but I still like parts of it. Nothing feels like filler.

I only wish Alex wasn't so hit and miss live. Because the vocals on this album are ace, to my ears. There are multiple parts where I got a Dimmu Borgir vibe, which I wasn't expecting.

Another one I really enjoy, that they just put on their Vevo channel, is "Sellout". I'd bet money that Jason wrote the lyrics, guess I'll find out when I get my physical copy. There's even a signature BoO pinch harmonic in there... :lol:

They also put "Clockwork" up. Ready for them to put up Morte Ætérna though so I can whore the shit out of it.

Vigaren

Reaction score
Clockwork is just amazing. The best sounding growls I've heard in years, Alex is really impressive! The mix sounds great too

Reaction score
Parts of the album sounds like they took some of the samples and leads from Jason's song Thought, and put spread out the parts into different songs and it's worked really well. I like this album a tonne better than evolve, but I still hate Alex's vocals, I think this is going to be the thing that gets me about all of their music, but at least this time I can look past it.

They merged Jason's instrumental Thought into the last song Dust To Dust with some changes and adjustments.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Ok so, the new album is officially out. I'm assuming my pre-order will be here in the afternoon. Anyway, now that it's out... can I just say, I have no Earthly idea who can take Album Of The Year (for me) from CG. Fvcking incredible. Jason adds so much to the band, without overdoing it; which we know he could, but clearly the man understands songwriting is more important than showing off with CG. I'm sure we'll get plenty of solo stuff from him.

Heres one of my favorites from the album; Jason does some rad shit in this song.

"Undying"

KJGaruda

Likes a good riff
Reaction score
These guys don't normally blip on my radar, but I can definitely give some credit where it's due. I first heard Clockwork, and that one sucked me in, and then soon afterwards, the blast-beat section in Sellout made me rewind it a couple times.

In my opinion, it'd be cool if they went the way of JFAC and went from super chuggy br00tz to tech-death giants.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
Loving the new album, and I wasn't really a fan of anything they did previously.

Everything Jason touches turns to gold.

neurosis

Reaction score
These guys don't normally blip on my radar, but I can definitely give some credit where it's due. I first heard Clockwork, and that one sucked me in, and then soon afterwards, the blast-beat section in Sellout made me rewind it a couple times.

In my opinion, it'd be cool if they went the way of JFAC and went from super chuggy br00tz to tech-death giants.

I see what you mean here, man. And I agree 100%. There is potential for them to grow their crowd into a more ¨adult demographic¨.

Since Evolve I have been into them, mainly because of how they push back the relentless chugging you see in the genre in favor of nicer orchestration and overall interesting arrangements.

I ignore what their capacity was before and if Jason really has affected them so much but while the EP was an instant hit for me and a surprise coming from them, this album has been a slow burner that has effortlessly held on to its slot in my listening list.

I think they have been playing with interesting ideas, like that Korn cover they did, demonstrating they are so much better than that.

I hope you are right and they move further from the core element. Here is where they are becoming a seriously interesting thing to keep an eye on.

Latest posts

')