Chelsea Grin Megathread

neurosis

Reaction score
Wow...the overall consensus on the new album is crazy! Release date snuck right by me, so now I HAVE TO go pick up a copy and give this a listen!

I think you will like it. The only thing that's a bit overwhelming for me is how every single song except the transition or sort of interlude towards the middle of the album is all balls out. They really didn't cut back here and it's slamming all the time. Sometimes I would prefer the songs to breathe a little more, cause a lot of interesting shit is going on but I can't focus on anything in particular. But I have really enjoyed this thing as of late.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Petef2007

Reaction score
Literally the only thing keeping me from liking this album is the vocalist. Don't like his screams and the lyrics come across as real juvenile at times ("I stare from my window, looking outside/sometimes I wanna just die) but the guitar work is real tasty in a lot of places. Dust To Dust, aside from the lyrics, is on the verge of out-born of osirising born of osiris.

mcsalty

Keepin' it Kodos
Reaction score
Literally the only thing keeping me from liking this album is the vocalist.

:agreed:

I like a few songs from Evolve and a few songs on the new album; Richardson definitely helped step them up musically but the vocals are as bad as ever haha

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Beyond pathetic, they've abandoned everything that Chelsea Grin stood for. Well, they ALREADY did so with Evolve, but Evolve at least had the decency to be good. This album is just a boring mess of chugging, and they don't have talent in stringing breakdowns together like Emmure. Third-rate BoO clone. What adds insult to injury is that the new BoO is also horrible. Plus they're making fun of their old-time fans, the ones which made them famous, on every step. I'm not asking to bring back inhales and pig squeals and shit, I'm just asking you to make decent music, Chelsea Grin. Alex just blew his throat for the 10268234th time and can't scream for shit, his voice is even more withered than ever. No guts, no power, layered and processed to hell and back and still sounds weak. That feel when your drummer is a better vocalist than your actual vocalist. The lyrics were never good, but holy shit, this is some next-level 6th grader poetry. The album is bland, stale, beyond generic, and doesn't even try to be good. They like, threw out 90% of the riffs. The album is a disaster and Jason is surely wasting himself there. They found their sound by the time of My Damnation. All they needed to do is improve upon it. But they had to go for Evolve. That's okay I guess. Evolve was a cool poppy metalcore/deathcore album, they could stop experimenting at there, but no, let's be BoO. More disappointing than the new Suicide Silence, literally NO standout tracks here. worst thing I've heard this year/10

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
^Sorry you feel that way. Though, when you say, "let's be BoO"... you mean The Discovery? Or rather, "Jason Richardson featuring BoO"?

Chelsea Grin used to be kinda boring, now they're awesome. I easily give this album a 9.5/10. The chorus on "Cheers To Us" being the only thing that takes away that .5 :lol:

But, you also don't like the new Suicide Silence, so clearly we are not looking for the same things in our music haha.

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
I meant more like, "Tomorrow We Die Alive", comparing the new CG to the new BoO, they do sound very similar (but new CG manages to be worse, it doesn't have constant electronics to drive the endless chugfest forward). The Discovery is a pretty good album in my opinion, severely brought down by the guitar tone, so if they copied that it I would maybe enjoy Ashes to Ashes more. I really loved Jason's work on The Discovery, the solo on Dissimulate is just <3, so I'm disappointed that they aren't making a good use of him in Chelsea Grin (Well, maybe on Evolve).

Petef2007

Reaction score
After a few more listens, I do agree with Darkwolf - I think they need to let Jason off the leash a bit more. But that runs the risk I suppose of him writing stuff they can't play, and if he leaves they're in trouble.

Just kick the damn vocalist and the new CG will be fine by me. I can tolerate him more when hes in his low register but when he goes high, its tragic.

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Well as I've stated before, I like that Jason didn't just show off all over this album. His style works phenomenally as an atmosphere. I really do consider this album pretty much perfect. And I <3 Alex's vocals. His highs get a little black metal-esque at times, and I dig that.

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
After listening to this a bunch since it came out I must say I really really enjoy it. I normally don't like their full lengths (I like a couple songs here and there) but this album is just great. Loving Jason's leads, he did an awesome job! Overall, I've been pleasantly surprised by this release. :)

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Honestly, this album is their favorite material of mine. Just straight up deathcore.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Can you guys tell me which Chelsea Grin albums Jason Richardson is playing on?
Is he only on the latest album Ashes To Ashes or also on the album Evolve?

Joose

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm still spinning this one almost daily. If not the whole album, daily listens of Playing With Fire, Morte Aeterna, Illuminate, Angels Shall Sin Demons Shall Pray and Undying.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Does anybody know what tunings CG are using on their last two albums?
Is it drop G? It sounds very low, and I remember having read somewhere that they used to tune to drop A, so do they now use drop A but just a whole tone lower?

Pweaks

Reaction score
Digging this new album quite a lot. Though, I have to say that it's a bit too long. I feel like with 2 or 3 songs less the album would be stronger.

@Santuzzo: Yes, they play in drop G.

Latest posts

')