Chinese Fakemachine build thread

• Thread starter mortbopet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mortbopet

I forgot
Reaction score
Just recieved an answer regarding the shipping time.
According to the seller, Europe shipping takes a bit longer than USA shipping, so the expected time is 10-20 days. And add another week to that if it gets snatched in customs (which it probably will).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
That product for that price damn :lol:

I've never really considered a fakemachine until now :lol:

Le Jeff

Reaction score
Looks good, except... That isn't actually a 5-piece neck, is our? I feel like you may have said earlier in the thread but I'm a little buzzed and at dinner right now :D

splinter8451

Reaction score
Looks good, except... That isn't actually a 5-piece neck, is our? I feel like you may have said earlier in the thread but I'm a little buzzed and at dinner right now :D

He said it is a decal :lol: classic Chinese.

EDIT: Also to the other people in this thread, I have talked to a few of the Chinese builders in the past and a couple said they are able to do baritone scale lengths. But there is no guarantee you will actually get the scale length you want. I wouldn't get too crazy with custom orders. Like people have said, these are not luthiers, just workers.

Jake

GAS Master
Reaction score
I mean the cost of one of these plus the cost of getting a hannes for it is about my tax return. It's actually kinda tempting.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Hmm, not to be a kill joy, but I'm actually thinking it doesn't look that good for $402. The staining is weird and doesn't have any depth, and that body shape is really odd.

I don't know. I feel like $402, plus whatever has to be done to get it to pay well, isn't really a bargain. It looks is ok, but $402 plus upgrades isn't chump change.

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
Hmm, not to be a kill joy, but I'm actually thinking it doesn't look that good for $402. The staining is weird and doesn't have any depth, and that body shape is really odd.

I don't know. I feel like $402, plus whatever has to be done to get it to pay well, isn't really a bargain. It looks is ok, but $402 plus upgrades isn't chump change.

Entirely disagree. If I paid $400 for an Ibanez, I'd still have to replace practically everything, as well as do a level, polish, and crown. At least this way, you can get exactly what you want instead of the bland $400 domestic offerings.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
^That's not at all what he was getting at. The finish is rather unimpressive (a little milky on the top and HS veneer? Hope it's the lighting), and the Vandy-esque ass looks weird on this body shape.

IF it turns out to be solid then it's fair and well, but not an insane bargain of any sort.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Entirely disagree. If I paid $400 for an Ibanez, I'd still have to replace practically everything, as well as do a level, polish, and crown. At least this way, you can get exactly what you want instead of the bland $400 domestic offerings.

Assuming that a full level, polish, crown, and setup will give you a playable instrument, and it isn't constructed too poorly to salvage.

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
Assuming that a full level, polish, crown, and setup will give you a playable instrument, and it isn't constructed too poorly to salvage.

That's the best part! If you don't like the 75:25 risk split, you can spend another thousand and get a guitar that's more likely to not be messed up. You can't completely get rid of the risk, but you can throw money at someone to mitigate it.

Why does everyone feel the need to criticize how other people spend their money? I'm not trying to defend his purchase, but it is how he chose to spend his money, and as I understand it, he has the right to do so.

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
^That's not at all what he was getting at. The finish is rather unimpressive (a little milky on the top and HS veneer? Hope it's the lighting), and the Vandy-esque ass looks weird on this body shape.

IF it turns out to be solid then it's fair and well, but not an insane bargain of any sort.

Were you actually expecting perfect fit and finish for $400? My point was that you aren't going to find that on anything domestic within that price point either.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
That's the best part! If you don't like the 75:25 risk split, you can spend another thousand and get a guitar that's more likely to not be messed up. You can't completely get rid of the risk, but you can throw money at someone to mitigate it.

Why does everyone feel the need to criticize how other people spend their money? I'm not trying to defend his purchase, but it is how he chose to spend his money, and as I understand it, he has the right to do so.

I'm not criticizing his choice of spending, I'm saying the risk is much higher than he seems to be accounting for, especially compared to other options :shrug:

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
Exactly how are you assessing his ability to manage risk? It's obviously a risk, but he can't get what he wants at that price point (or any other price shy of $1500 for a marginally better product and a year's wait), so why wouldn't he go this route?

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Were you actually expecting perfect fit and finish for $400? My point was that you aren't going to find that on anything domestic within that price point either.

Again, that's not what we're saying. Read it again- we're saying that it's not an irresistible deal at all. That kid of money will get you some kind of imported MIC guitar from a known brand, that you can check out before buying. This one is a little more special, but WAY risky and with some pretty crazy shortcuts (painted neck "laminations"? :nuts: ) so the thing here is- somebody's saying that this looks absolutely amazing, but it just looks... semi-alright for the price.

Upgrades, adjustments, fret job, etc. aren't part of this assessment, it just flat out looks cheap, which new parts and handiwork won't salvage (unless you refinish it, which is beyond the scope of this project anyways)

TL;DR- Worth the price? Perhaps. Super crazy awesome deal? Definitely not.

')