Chinese Fakemachine build thread

• Thread starter mortbopet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vansinn

Reaction score
I've been following this, and have a couple of comments..

Isn't it so that there's often a (maybe even heated) debate against Chinese stuff?
I've only dealt with a few, and not yet with guitars, but always had good contact.
WRT safety on the buy, as mentioned by someone, there's the buyer-protection escrow mechanism, so how bad do things absolutely have to get..

I'll agree that $400 may be a Bit steep for the seemingly medium finish (but hey, so far we haven't seen hi-quality pics) - however, we don't know how it'll flex once in the buyers hands.

As a comparison, you can find comments dating many years back against basses from Wolf Guitars (smaller Korean biz, ocmpared to the larger ones). I've now had my 7-string Wolf bass for a few years, and regard it a fine piece of gear, though not a Conklin (sorry 'bout speleng).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
One thing I noticed when browsing was some kit guitars. Some come with Basswood bodies which is fine, but also come with Basswood necks... I've never encountered a Basswood necked guitar so I'm no expert, but I can guess that it's a disaster waiting to happen...right?

flint757

Reaction score
I assume that would be a disaster considering basswood is probably the softest wood around. I'm going to assume it's a typo (or a disaster waiting to happen :lol:). A lot of the things I read in English off of Chinese websites read like someone just typed it into google translate.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
That was what I thought. I was trying to find the listing again but it seems to have disappeared and a new one has taken it's place...with Maple neck this time!

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
I just emailed the seller for a quote for this guitar with these customizations:

sdthklnst_zpsd2ilfkxw.png

Les Paul labeling on front of headstock removed
Serial Number & "Made in USA" stamping on back of headstock removed
Satin/Matte finish
Back of body & neck to be stained like included picture (it's normally cherry on this model)

xohsfgyj_zpsl0no4zjc.png

Hoping it doesn't cost too much extra, but if it's good I might do a few more things to it, like maybe get those cutaways on the back & neck joint, or a maple fretboard with no inlay :idea:

mortbopet

I forgot
Reaction score
I just emailed the seller for a quote for this guitar with these customizations:

Les Paul labeling on front of headstock removed
Serial Number & "Made in USA" stamping on back of headstock removed
Satin/Matte finish
Back of body & neck to be stained like included picture (it's normally cherry on this model)

Hoping it doesn't cost too much extra, but if it's good I might do a few more things to it, like maybe get those cutaways on the back & neck joint, or a maple fretboard with no inlay :idea:

Pretty sure you can get your specifications, but i'm almost 100% sure that they wont be able to do the cutaways. You have to remember, there's an established production process, and the guitar must not deviate from that. That's why these aren't custom guitars, but semi-custom/customizable.

ThatCanadianGuy

Where am I? D:
Reaction score
Pretty sure you can get your specifications, but i'm almost 100% sure that they wont be able to do the cutaways. You have to remember, there's an established production process, and the guitar must not deviate from that. That's why these aren't custom guitars, but semi-custom/customizable.

They pretty much send a sheet with specs to the factory. If you ask for pictures, you can pretty much say, "That's not the guitar I asked for," and the rational sellers will have it fixed before they send it.

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score

The guitar with cutaways in the picture is another les paul from his shop, otherwise I wouldn't have asked him. He actually just got back to me & said it would only be about $20 more for it & a matching flamed maple top on the headstock, so it's going to be about $300 will all of the customizations.

mortbopet

I forgot
Reaction score
The guitar with cutaways in the picture is another les paul from his shop, otherwise I wouldn't have asked him. He actually just got back to me & said it would only be about $20 more for it & a matching flamed maple top on the headstock, so it's going to be about $300 will all of the customizations.

Ah, perfect then! didn't consider that they had the design in another guitar.
did you also get the maple fretboard in the deal?

spn_phoenix_92

The Black Winter
Reaction score
Ah, perfect then! didn't consider that they had the design in another guitar.
did you also get the maple fretboard in the deal?

Nah I decided against it, I feel like it would steer too far from the classic LP look. I did get a flamed maple veneer on the headstock that matches the body, so it wont's be so plain with that Les Paul labeling removed. I'm thinking of someday getting a custom headstock decal made with my symbol in my avatar, it's like my label I put on all my music stuff.

mortbopet

I forgot
Reaction score

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
The only thing that irks me is the flat arse on that guitar haha.

Tesla

Augmented User
Reaction score
I take it those new pictures aren't actually the newest, seeing as it has the plastic nut..?

Looking good though, anticipating the hands on review. Wouldn't mind one myself!

Renkenstein

Reaction score
I actually hate picking on curve transitions and whatnot because they're the individual's art, but they're often the first thing I notice. Hard curve transitions that look out of place and aren't blended make me want to buy every builder set of french curves.

I'm obsessive when it comes to curve transitions though, so much so that I've final shaped entire templates with card scrapers to make sure they all flow.

')