Choir-ey music

• Thread starter Duelbart
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Duelbart

Reaction score
Hello SSO! As always, when I look for new music, I turn to you :)

Right now I'm searching for music that has some epic (for a lack of a better word) and pompous vocal work, in particular choir parts!

Now, the first example of what I'm looking for may not be in this forum's taste:

1:03 - 1:34 is the type of stuff I'm looking for

And this example is one I'm sure you will like more!

4:45 till the end

I'd really appreciate suggestions that gravitate towards rock/metal, however I am open to anything that has this pompous quality and is not purely a vocal piece :) Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bhakan

Reaction score
The Dear Hunter uses a lot of choir type vocals.

It's used throughout most of their stuff. I'm not sure if this is necessarily the best example but I'd suggest just listening to some of their stuff.

This song is just an intro to an album, but choral vocals are the main focus

Duelbart

Reaction score
Oh, I know and love TDH, but I'm trying to find something else.

I used the adjective pompous several times because it's kinda difficult to describe otherwise. I suppose what I want is something that has an anthem-like quality. Apart from those songs I posted, think Bohemian Rhapsody.

Rizzo

Reaction score
Maybe some Devin Townsend (mostly featuring Anneke Van Giersbergen) tunes, or Blind Guardian? Just two that came up instantly in my mind, pardon me if it isn't what you're looking for.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Two Steps from Hell, seriously trust me on this. They normally do music for trailers, video games and adverts but contain some of the most condensed epicness you will ever hear (IMHO).

Exhibit A:

Murmel

Reaction score
I totally dig choirs in music too. I don't know many tunes though, and I can only come up with this one right now because my brain doesn't want to cooperate.
When this song comes up on a drive when you feel a bit shitty/down, it always brings me back up.

TIMEwaveXERO

Reaction score
Good spot, they're in the same line of work as TSfH (producing music for trailers).:yesway:

A like and a pos-rep cookie for you.:agreed:

Thanking you :cheers:

I think that song was used on the Life of Pi movie trailer. Although I've been listening to Audiomachine for well over a year now.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
Sounds like you're looking for more of a gang/chorus rather than choir, difference being the singing style. Not as melodic, but lots of Thrash and Punk does this. Choir-like would be more like Bathory.

Duelbart

Reaction score
Well, if you're talking about that punky "chorus" where several people do the screaming and it's not really melodic, that's not it. I'm thinking about this epic, energetic, harmonised anthem-like vocal melodies :)

As for what has been posted thus far, thanks for the suggestions! Imagine Dragons and TDH's Writing on the Wall would be closest to what I'm trying to find. The other two, in particular Audiomachine, are good, but they lean more towards the "classical" side and the vocal work there sounds like it's more in the background.

AdamMaz

Reaction score
The purpose of my post was clarify your terminology, as to aid you in finding what you are looking for.

I understood that you are not looking for thrash/punk, the technique however is the same.

Ikiharmaa

It's all white.
Reaction score
the latest extol album's cleans remind me of a choir, has the harmonies going. Nothing like Devin Townsend though, but perhaps they picked some inspiration from devin.

I imagine you could have luck with some power metal bands as well, but tbh only thing that came to my mind is this
Wildfire - Sonata Arctica - Subtitulado - YouTube

')