Choosing gear for Lamb of God tone, need opinions!

• Thread starter TristensMusic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
they've used mark iv's and now i believe mark iv's or v's with a royal atlantic, but that's only what they advertise, so prolly mark iv's

they f-in rawk!!!!

flint757

Reaction score
/Edit - I only ran my Mark IV on Full power / Pentode mode though as the other modes sounded a bit too spongy for my taste so that might explain the volume difference. :)

There's your problem. :lol:

I have mine on triode, simul-class and tweed mode.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Willie uses Seymour Duncan Distortion pickups, and Mark is using the DiMarzio Dominion (his signature pickup). I have both pickups, and feel that the Dominion is able to nail the LOG tone better than the Distortion. He hasn't used the '59 that is stock in his signature guitar for a very long time. I have played the '59 bridge pickup and there are many pickups I would choose over it to get a LOG tone. The JB does a decent job in the right guitar. I would imagine it would sound good in your Les Paul. I would recommend the DiMarzio Dominion as my first choice though. It is perfect for what you're looking for.

The best amp to get their tone would be the Mark IV.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
There's your problem. :lol:

I have mine on triode, simul-class and tweed mode.

The last time I tried that before I sold it I think I still could only get up to about 1.7 on the master before neighbors complained. Think that was using 6V6s too, lol.

OP, if you don't want to worry about the volume issue, the HT5 is a fine choice. It has a nice dry gain sound which you can crunch up pretty nicely using a different 12AX7. Use a tube screamer with a bit of gain and high level to boost for some extra gaininess to the sound. If you want to get super granular with it, grab an MXR EQ and throw it in the loop.:yesway:

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
The Blackstar HT5h can get pretty solid tones. With an EQ in the effects loop, I could get pretty close to master of puppets (Recorded with a marshal and mark3 if I understand correctly), and As the Palaces Burn.

Reaction score
Oh my gosh! I had no idea I'd get so many helpful replies, thank you everyone!! I haven't completely made a choice yet. I'm kinda leaning towards the SH-6 as far as the pickup choice goes.. I think the dominion, as mentioned earlier would be a good choice too, but I can't find any for sale for some reason?

After reading some of the replies and listening to more demos on youtube, I don't want the blackstar, which leads me to believe I will have to get a higher wattage amp to get any tight metal tone at all, let alone LOG's. I've looked into the Mesa DC3s which seem totally awesome, although they seem hard to find! And another amp I just found online was the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, which seems like a real bang for the buck. It's also appealing to me because I can buy it new (with a warranty) for around the same price as a used DC3. I know it wouldnt be as close to LOG as a Mesa, but would the 6505+ get a similiar tone?

Mordacain

Reaction score
Oh my gosh! I had no idea I'd get so many helpful replies, thank you everyone!! I haven't completely made a choice yet. I'm kinda leaning towards the SH-6 as far as the pickup choice goes.. I think the dominion, as mentioned earlier would be a good choice too, but I can't find any for sale for some reason?

After reading some of the replies and listening to more demos on youtube, I don't want the blackstar, which leads me to believe I will have to get a higher wattage amp to get any tight metal tone at all, let alone LOG's. I've looked into the Mesa DC3s which seem totally awesome, although they seem hard to find! And another amp I just found online was the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, which seems like a real bang for the buck. It's also appealing to me because I can buy it new (with a warranty) for around the same price as a used DC3. I know it wouldnt be as close to LOG as a Mesa, but would the 6505+ get a similiar tone?

I wouldn't judge the HT5 off of Youtube demos. Personally, if it were me, I'd wait until the HT metal line comes out and try it in a store. You really don't need reams of headroom for a tight metal tone at home. 5 watts is ridiculously loud in a bedroom through a good cab and the HT5 sounds at its best when you are no higher than noon on the master volume.

As cool as the DC3 and F30 are, they have that pronounced midrange of EL84s which can be problematic. Aside from that, Mesa does something funny with their DynaWatt amplifiers that runs the EL-84 crazy hot. They really don't have much headroom. The DC5 or F50 will fair better in that department.

The 6505 is a great amp but as Flint said, not really a LoG tone to be had in it.

Reaction score
Ok, well I guess ill just have to wait to hear the blackstar, if you really think its going to be great. What cab would you get for the best sound out of either the metal or normal HT5R?

Mordacain

Reaction score
Ok, well I guess ill just have to wait to hear the blackstar, if you really think its going to be great. What cab would you get for the best sound out of either the metal or normal HT5R?

Honestly, any Rectifier cab is hard to beat IMO but really any decent 2x12 or 4x12 will work. Can always get an Avatar Contemporary and load a mix of speakers.

MikeSweeney

Reaction score
It will be abit easier to get in that territory at $1500 you will have a hard time getting a combo amp or a head and cab from mesa under that. You are deff going to want a boost pedal like a maxon 808 or ibanez ts9 type.
Mark uses the Green Rhino

sandalhat

Reaction score
I'll add my 0.02 about the Mesa DC-3. I have one myself and it's kind of a unique beast. It is a Mark-style amp so to speak, but those El-84's, like already mentioned, make it quite a bit different. It's got a Mark style setup and voicing in the pre, it seems, but the power section really has a lot of sparkle and midrange. It does lead stuff, low and high gain, really nicely and loves boosts, but it's not the tightest of amps so that may be detrimental to your goal.

damico529

Reaction score
you should check out the new diavlo series from randall, I can get some pretty good log tones with my rd45 and green rhino.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the dominion, as mentioned earlier would be a good choice too, but I can't find any for sale for some reason?

Where are you looking? There are many available brand new on Ebay. They're available in just about any color combo DiMarzio offers.

Reaction score
Where are you looking? There are many available brand new on Ebay. They're available in just about any color combo DiMarzio offers.

Yah I found them on ebay, and did some more research and I'm going to buy them! Will either the F spaced or the other fit?

')