Choosing Multi fx

• Thread starter Calija
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Calija

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been looking to get a multifx for a while now and have been mostly looking at the boss gt1 but recently the valeton gp 200 has caught my eye. With the gt1 being $200 cheaper there are clear differences, and with the valeton gp 200 being within my price range I am more inclined to buy that as it seems to be pretty good, but I was wondering if it was a trusted brand or if there were some better valued multi fx available.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
With the multi-FX units, you pretty much get what you pay for. The main aspects are the UI, connectivity, latency and the variety and quality of effects.

Although I've never tried the Valeton unit, it's generally considered to be worth considering the price point. As with most of the units, building presets from scratch is the key, as the factory presets (even more so on the cheaper units) are sometimes weird or just not on par with the units capability. With +100$ you might be able to find a b-stock Line6 Pod GO, which is very good. I myself use the Headrush MX5 and I've been happy with it so far. Yes, the factory presets aren't nothing special, but I've made like ~30 of my own that I really like a lot.

Third party IR's are king, so whatever you end up buying, make sure that it has the ability to load IR's.

Bevo

Reaction score
I have the PODGo and literally yesterday I was going to sell it but decided to give it a solid try.
The key was the actual edit software and plug ins, I never set up on my compute, dumb….

Night and day difference.
Whatever you get make sure it can do the IR loading and has the edit software.
A used better quality closet queen is my recommendation

littlebadboy

Reaction score
I'm a Boss fanboi. Had the GT-3, GT-6, was pleased with the tiny GT-1 that I upgraded to the GT-100 which was better! Then, I felt left behind the IR feature, so I shifted to Headrush with their Gigboard. The newer technology was a lot better especially on tonal options. IRs are really nice! Like @cindarkness mentioned, take a look at the MX-5. When the Boss GT-1000CORE came out with IR loading capabilities, I was excited to go back to Boss! But... it failed my expectations. It's true that it has a lot of effect choices, but... the Headrush just sounded better. I'm sure that Fractal, Kemper, and Neural's Quad Core will sound better, but I couldn't afford them, so I haven't tried them.

I have since then opted using software. I sold all my hardware and is now using Neural Archetype plugins. They can also be stand alone in case I gig again (most likely not). So, I kept an FRFR cab and a midi pedal to control it. I am loving my setup now as I am gearing towards a minimalist approach! I just have a laptop (+ 2 more screens), interface, and studio monitors stuffed in a small closet, but I have a huge library of tonal options in my laptop more than enough for my needs!

I'm not much of a guitar player or audio producer, but if you are curious about my mfx journey and has the time to scroll search through, I used each of what I had into my projects since the GT-6, they are in my YouTube channel. I don't mean to promote it.

Last edited:

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Something from left field: If you're reasonable techie, have an audio interface, have a Raspberry Pi, there's a bunch of different amp/multi-FX sims available. I currently have MOD Devices' MODEP software running on a 8gb RPi4 and will likely upgrade it to a RPi5, when they come out later this month.

metalheadblues

Reaction score
Something from left field: If you're reasonable techie, have an audio interface, have a Raspberry Pi, there's a bunch of different amp/multi-FX sims available. I currently have MOD Devices' MODEP software running on a 8gb RPi4 and will likely upgrade it to a RPi5, when they come out later this month.
So your saying get thre raspberry pi to run a daw using vst like arch type gojira into and interface into a pa or amplifier? Is it easy to do? I was considering using my laptop for live gigs but if this is easier I'd give it a shot

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So your saying get thre raspberry pi to run a daw using vst like arch type gojira into and interface into a pa or amplifier? Is it easy to do? I was considering using my laptop for live gigs but if this is easier I'd give it a shot
The MOD Audio software basically runs a MOD Dwarf on your hardware. See: https://wiki.mod.audio/wiki/MOD_Web_GUI_User_Guide

There's three ways to build it on a Raspberry Pi:If you go the Blokas route, they have a audio board and pedal case. The pi Stomp code can be used with a multi-effects DIY case build, or in a RPi case w/ and audio interface.

I went this last route https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/going-the-modep-rpi4-pisound-route.351301/ I'll likely do another thread when I get the RPi5 and migrate to the new hardware. There's another thread where @josefvin talks about the same.

You can also run GuitarX or one of the other virtual amps.

I have not run a DAW on linux, but they do exist.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I've been a long time line6 user and think they make amazing products at all price points. I have an HXstomp that is my backup to my Kemper, and I feel like the tones available on it are absolutely competitive to the much higher priced Kemper.

If you want or need amp sounds the stomp is a fantastic piece of gear, if you just want effects the HXFX is the way to go in my opinion. If these are out of your budget then I'd suggest looking for a PodGo, same tones but limited routing and I/O.

I'm sure there are other great products that can give you what you want, I just don't have any experience with them to give a recommendation.

Latest posts

')