Choosing my first tube amp help

• Thread starter zipline7020
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zipline7020

Reaction score
So as of right now i have a POD HD 500, and i was looking around and decided I want to get into the tube game.I have a 6 string I like to play stuff like breaking benjamin, RED, chevelle, skillet, etc. I also have an 8 string that I like to play periphery, drewsiff stalin, etc on. Very different tones.

I was looking at either the Line 6 dt 50 with the matching cab, or the PRS archon.

now i know a lot of people shy away from line 6, but the tube option with the HD500 looks really cool! Ive heard some good recto sounding recordings come from it and I really like the sound. My problem with it is Ive never heard anyone go something "djenty" on it. the few good down tuned recordings Ive heard are all very mesaish, which works well for the 6 string option but not so much the 8 sting one. I've never heard a tighter metal sound out of it.

the archon sounded great too and seemed very "ENGL" ish from the recordings. Misha also did a demo on it that sounded really promising. but that kind of sound didnt seem to fit the skillet/breaking benjamin vibe.

what should I do? can I get both sounds out of either of these?
I believe I could, its just no ones done it yet and out it on youtube. But at the same time I want to know what everyone else thinks.
(btw, one being 100 watts and the other being 50 doesn't matter, both will be loud as hell.)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Gee, tough question. On one hand, the DT50 gives you all the flexibility that's available with linking it to the pod. On the other, the Archon is a superior bit of gear. The DT50 will allow you to build patches that change your amp channels and settings on the HD500. You can do that with the Archon, but will require another $180 piece of gear. $700 price difference at Sweetwater, with the DT50 being cheaper. The Archon will hold value better, though.

I kinda want to lean toward the Archon due to it being a better piece of gear that you'll probably never outgrow, but the techie in me that is using an HD500 with a MIDI switching amp kinda wonders how much fun a DT50 head might actually be. If I could get my hands on one used, I'd give it a bash, for sure.

Sorry I'm not much help. I do believe you can coax all the tones you're looking for out of both rigs, though.

zipline7020

Reaction score
So I've decided not to go with the dt 50, because i just don't want to stay digital, so i still have the archon in mind, but theres also the EVH, a mesa, and an ENGL. All 3 of which are tried and true.

so between the
-Archon
-EVH 100 watt
-Mesa (dual reto or roadster)
-Engl

which one would suit me best for both tones Im going for

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
Well, I had the DT25 and it's was quite a righteous little machine. IMO, for the most part, the tube power section is what really makes the difference. Emulation of the various ways a preamp creates tone seems much simpler to create authentically than emulating a tube power section.

That being said, I tired of trying to get my volume levels balanced with the DT25 and using the different negative feedback topologies it is capable of producing. I also didn't care the Pod HD500's affects for the most part.

Out of our choices, I'd give the Archon a shot. it's seems very impressive and quite capable of covering a diverse range of tones from what I've heard; I am pretty eager to try one.

zipline7020

Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8GU9osUXoY

this is the archon, and it sounds good, but i think my problem with the recording is everything is set to noon for it, so id like to hear what these players do when they can actually play with the knobs and better mics/mic placement

plus idk how good prs cabs are

sloanthebone

I power the chords
Reaction score
I think you should consider the EVH 5150 III 50 watt. Sounds fantastic at any volume, has a Marshally channel, an insane gain channel, headphone jack and Midi. I have switched over to the Kemper but I am hanging on to my EVH amp as my last tube amp. It just flat out rocks. It is a little noisy though so a gate pedal is advised.

Runander

Reaction score
That Archon seems like a good piece of gear. From what I've heard it's really versatile and has several sweatspots in the different tone zones. I would certainly like to get one :)

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I think you should consider the EVH 5150 III 50 watt. Sounds fantastic at any volume, has a Marshally channel, an insane gain channel, headphone jack and Midi. I have switched over to the Kemper but I am hanging on to my EVH amp as my last tube amp. It just flat out rocks. It is a little noisy though so a gate pedal is advised.

This. If you hang on to the POD, you can use it for effects as well as channel switching via midi. You could also use the POD to fix the volume jump between channel 1 and 2 with the level controls or a boost/cut on certain presets.

Not sure I'd use it in 4CM after reading the thread sage made a while back. Basically, since there's no master volume on the head, you'll get noise issues running it in 4CM since the effects return is always on full blast and you'd have to really lower the level of the POD signal.

With an overdrive and gate into the front of the amp and the POD for effects in the loop, you'll be able to get all of the tones you mentioned with ease. I use my 5150III for "core" styles and preogressive metal stuff mostly, but it's capable of much, much more.

cGoEcYk

Reaction score
You generally can't go wrong with Recto. It would be great for what you have in mind. I think Chevelle used Mark IV on the old stuff.

kaaka

Reaction score
Do you have to order before you try or can you try out some of the amps for yourself first?

Some amps I like instantly when i try them, while others grow on me and are harder to dial in which still make it hard. But it's easy to tell the overall character of an amp by just testing it for a few minutes.

The Archon i have never tried so i can't speak for that.
But the EVH amps, the MESA and the ENGL have all proven worthy. It's more a matter of taste. Expecially the ENGL and EVH are good in the modern tight as shit stuff with extended range, but the MESA is also very brutal. All amps have decent cleans and can do some rock tones.

Think about how much wattage you need - I would say that for the rectifyers I prefer the 25 watt mini - it is as good sounding on the distortion as the bigger ones - sounds stellar at low volumes and the vintage mode is to die for. It also has better cleans than the big brothers.

Also the EVH 50 Watt is to consider - some people prefer it to the 100W - altough they does not have as many EQ knobs (channel 1 and 2 shares). So think about it - the smaller amps are easy to carry around. They will definitely be loud enough for band practice and small shows with a 4x12 and if you gig - you will most likely mic them up nontheless.
(I own 2 big amps currently and think about selling one and get a small combo or lunch box amp to bring to jams and other stuff)

zipline7020

Reaction score
unfortunately no, I live in atlanta GA, and its uncommon to find PRS anything the music shops here, as well as any half stacks that aren't line 6 or marshall.
Im glad this forum exists thought.....because every music shop including guitar center here just tries to sell you a line 6 100watt and shoo you out of the store if you play anything besides blues or classic rock.

and after listening to the different channels it has, Ive decided to go with the archon. mainly because I don't really use a crunch channel, and my lead channel is just my dirty with some more effects.

if I need a crunch, I'm sure I could find what Im looking for with a good overdrive

fenderbender4

Reaction score
I might suggest (depending on a budget) a used VHT or Fryette Ultra Lead. Can be had used for a steal of a price. Very, very tight response and a more high-mid voicing.

')