Choosing the Right Woods for a Custom 7 Baritone?

• Thread starter Carl Kolchak
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I have a custom build starting in a couple of months. It's a 7-string with a 27" neck that will be tuned to G standard and hit with a lot of gain. I was thinking of going with a basswood body and a maple neck, as I'm not digging swamp ash or mahogany atm on account of the extraneous flub.

So might there be a better choice than basswood for more focused mids and highs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I always worry that folks who go for a custom instrument and then feel the need to ask for advice have probably bitten off more than they needed to chew so to speak.

That said, I always think that in general, alder tends to be a bit more focussed in mids and highs than basswood which tends to sound more spongy to my ears, but I also think that having the right pickups for the woods help as well.

Questioning the general consensus on woods, but so many djent machines are made from swamp ash because it fights the flub, that I wonder what sound you’re going for that you think it’s a ‘flubby’ sounding wood?

TimSE

Tone Chasr
Contributor
Reaction score
Your pickups are vastly more important than the woods, so I wouldn't stress over it too much.

As for Basswood, it would be a good choice. I used to hate it on the old ibanez guitars I had but completely 180'ed when I got a JP7 (all basswood body) with a BKP miracle man bridge pup. I had that down in A and was a monster! Basswood with a high output pickup will be just right for what youre after I think

akinari

Reaction score
I have a basswood guitar with a maple neck tuned down to Ab and it's one of the most aggressive sounding guitars I have. You should be fine, just get a badass pickup.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
wood really doesn't matter for solid body guitars ime. Pick woods for aesthetic reasons. I've had bright and tight mahogany, swamp ash, alder and limba guitars. I've also had dark and murky sounding mahogany, basswood and pine guitars. All of which were either helped or hurt by pickup swaps and amp settings.
It's hard to figure out how to tailor the sound of a guitar until you spend some time with it.

Reaction score
Honestly, wood doesn't matter as much as you might think. However, swamp ash or similar looks killer, especially with a porous finish.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Construction? Pickups?

With baritones bright woods + pickups can quickly get harsh and very hard to dial out. I see a lot of people order baritones and then end up selling them when they didn't spec them out right. If you're looking for tight hi-gain in low tunings I'd recommend a black limba body. It doesn't have the flub mahogany can have.

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Your pickups are vastly more important than the woods, so I wouldn't stress over it too much.

As for Basswood, it would be a good choice. I used to hate it on the old ibanez guitars I had but completely 180'ed when I got a JP7 (all basswood body) with a BKP miracle man bridge pup. I had that down in A and was a monster! Basswood with a high output pickup will be just right for what youre after I think
This is good, because "old basswood Ibanez" is what I'm shooting for.

Wolfhorsky

Regular idiot
Reaction score
Construction and pickups play far more important role. The neck wood and construction have vastly greater influence on the final result. The alder is one of the most consistent woods out there. It is quite important to point out that when we compare the different pieces of the same wood species we have a big varietyof resonance frequencies, stiffness, density etc. Maple-alder or maple-ultralight swamp ash is my fav combo.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Just have fun with it!©

I mean, get a used prestige.®

Seriously, though, I'd talk to the builder first and go from there. Honestly, different specimens of the same species of wood can colour your sound in vastly different ways, and your builder will likely know best.

chance0

Reaction score
Yup. Tonewoods aren't really a thing for electrics. Just get what looks best.

Masoo2

Reaction score
If you don't even know what woods you want, don't buy a custom.
I put woods (other than top and fretboard woods for aesthetic reasons) at the bottom of priority list when it comes to judging or speccing guitars. Heck, I'd argue I don't even consider it practically at all.

See no problem in ordering a custom without caring about the body wood when there's other more essential specs you're concerned about, such as scale length, fretboard radius, neutral fret, neck profile, body shape, weight, top wood/finish/aesthetic, electronics/wiring, bridge, ergonomics, etc. all of which are much more legitimate of reasons to order a custom than "yeah but what if this Ibanez had a swamp ash body?" imo.

That being said, go aesthetic if there's something that catches your eye. Black limba, deep mahogany, roasted ash, or see through/porous/sandblasted ash are my favorites assuming it's not a solid finish over the back. If not, stick with the classics like basswood, swamp ash, alder, or mahogany.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Different woods won’t fix flub but pickups will.

The best guitar woods are the ones that give you a very light weight but, very rigid overall construction. In my experience at least.

I would do the body out of roasted ash and the neck out whatever is lightest but, have him add carbon fiber or graphite reinforcement rods

syndrone

You Must Listen To SYNDRONE
Reaction score
In my opinion it is not about the wood per se but more about the density of the chosen piece. A dense piece of swamp ash will sound significantly different than a very light one.
Construction, setup and how you play that instrument will probably have the most influence on how it sounds, though. :2c:

Carl Kolchak

Reaction score
Different woods won’t fix flub but pickups will.
Not always.

I swapped the stock pups (Lithiums) out of a flub prone Kiesel DC700 with a BKP VHII. That, according to the magic pickup proponents, should have fixed things, shouldn't it have? Yet it didn't. The Kiesel still sounded, for all intents and purposes, tonally the same, except now it's noticeably clearer sounding thanks to those BKPs.

So no, in this case, pickups did not fix the flub.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
What did the builder suggest?

')