Chord Finder

• Thread starter Mattmc74
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darbdavys

Reaction score
nice find :) 7string version would be uber awesome, but it's cool, too. also it's not really that hard to adapt to a 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
nice find :) 7string version would be uber awesome, but it's cool, too. also it's not really that hard to adapt to a 7

True. When I saw this I figured it would be a good tool to have on the site for any members to use as a chord reference guide. And your right it could be easy to adapt this to a 7.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
You're welcome dude - I had it bookmarked on my laptop and completely forgot I had done so until you mentioned it :D

Stickied for prosperity indeed - chord finder/scale finder pages can be an absolute godsend.

DeathMetalDean

ss.org Shredder
Reaction score
Tuxguitar has a chord finder thing which I just found out cuz I seen this thread. Figured it might have one and it did lol, if you download it (it's free) and then go to Beat > Chord > Insert Chord. I don't understand it completely though I've been looking to learn more chords..

Couple of questions:

What's the "Bass" then the selection of notes about?

And I don't really understand the list beside the Chord like;

M, 7, maj7, 6, m, m7, m/maj7, m6, sus2, sus4, 7sus2, 7sus4, dim, dim7, aug, 5.

Don't really understand any of them xD well except I assume M means major.. :scratch:

Then in the other list beside that it shows 9, 11 & 13 ??? I don't get that either :lol:

And there's another list :lol: which shows /5+ & /5-

Help's appreciated, thanks :metal:

Attachments

• Screenshot-Chord Editor .png
    Screenshot-Chord Editor .png
    30.5 KB · Views: 37

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Tuxguitar has a chord finder thing which I just found out cuz I seen this thread. Figured it might have one and it did lol, if you download it (it's free) and then go to Beat > Chord > Insert Chord. I don't understand it completely though I've been looking to learn more chords..

Couple of questions:

What's the "Bass" then the selection of notes about?
I'm guessing it's for inversions. Let's say we have a D major chord, D F# A. You can put one of the chord members (or an added chord member) on the bottom of the chord, say D/F#, which is a D chord with an F# in the bass. That would be this:
Code:
e-2
b-3
G-2
D-0
A-0
E-2

And I don't really understand the list beside the Chord like;

M, 7, maj7, 6, m, m7, m/maj7, m6, sus2, sus4, 7sus2, 7sus4, dim, dim7, aug, 5.

Don't really understand any of them xD well except I assume M means major.. :scratch:
M - Major triad - ex. EM - E G# B

m - minor triad - ex. Em - E G B

7 - dominant seventh; a major chord with minor seventh on top - ex. E7 - E G# B D

maj7 - major seventh; a major chord with a major seventh on the top - ex. Emaj7 - E G# B D#

6 - a major chord with a major sixth on top - ex. E6 - E G# B C#

m6 - a minor chord with a major sixth on top - ex. Em6 - E G B C#

m7 - minor seventh; a minor chord with a minor seventh on top - ex. Em7 - E G B D

mM7 - minor/major seventh; a minor chord with a major seventh on top - ex. EmM7 - E G B D#

dim - diminished triad - ex. Edim (also E°) - E G Bb

dim 7 - diminished seventh chord, also called fully diminished chord, or simply diminished chord; a diminished chord with a diminished seventh on top, built entirely of minor thirds - ex. E°7, or Edim7 - E G Bb Db

aug - augmented triad; built of two major thirds - ex. Eaug, or E+ - E G# B#

sus2 - a triad with a root, second, and fifth; is neither major, nor minor - ex. Esus2 - E F# B

sus4 - a triad with a root, fourth, and fifth; is neither major, nor minor - ex. Esus4 - E A B

7sus2 and 7sus4 - same as the above, but using a 7 chord. ex. E7sus2 - E F# B D, and E7sus4 - E A B D

5 - just a power chord. :flame: ex. E5 - E B

Then in the other list beside that it shows 9, 11 & 13 ??? I don't get that either :lol:
Those are extended harmonies. Just as there are seventh chords, there are ninth chords, eleventh chords, and thirteenth chords. You get these by stacking diatonic thirds. 9, 11, and 13 imply a dominant seventh. maj9, maj11, and maj13 imply a major seventh.

C7 - C E G Bb
C9 - C E G Bb D
C11 - C E G Bb D F
C13 - C E G Bb D F A

Cmaj7 - C E G B
Cmaj9 - C E G B D
Cmaj11 - C E G B D F
Cmaj13 - C E G B D F A

These are usually subject to alterations in jazz, which are indicated in parenthesis next to the chord name. For example:

C13 (b9#11) - C E G Bb Db F# A

And there's another list :lol: which shows /5+ & /5-
It seems that /5+ means that the fifth of whatever chord you have selected is augmented, and /5- means the fifth is diminished. For example,

Emaj7/+5 - E G# B# D#
Emaj7/5- - E G# Bb D#

I usually see these written as Emaj7(+5) or Emaj7(b5), though.

Hope that helped. :shred:

DixieMcFrost

Reaction score
Merry Christmas,

Thanks for posting the link I've been searching for guitar chords
that I can practice on but I can't find one that really work
and also nice thread you got here..

11afqkm.jpg