Chord Progression Basics

Reaction score
Have spent the last year trying to get the fret board under my fingers using pentatonics, modes, and playing those along with backing tracks and simply chord progressions I've come up with that seem to make sense from what I've picked up from learning the pentatonic scales.
Ex. A minor - I play with A, C, D, E, G chords while noodling on top.

Would like to spend more time learning the actual progressions, their names and beginning adding focused chord progression (and rhythm) practice to what I'd doing with pentatonics/modes.

The end goal is functional knowledge of these progressions so I can start writing.

Preamble Over:

I've done some internet searching and have a start, but was just wondering what resources some of you have come up with for this sort of focused practice - websites, progressions you like.

Writing with seven string in mind, standard tuning - just trying to get the process going a bit more.

Thanks in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.musictheory.net/lessons

Here, I would recommend "intervals", then "chords", then "roman numeral analysis". That'll get you up to speed with what people mean when they say things like "this is a I V IV bIV progression". It helps you take chords progressions outside of their key and generalize to any key, which is how most people operate in the "real world", if there is such a thing in music.

Also the special lesson on chord progressions after those three is good:
https://www.musictheory.net/lessons/57

Reaction score
Gah, thanks very much! What a great resource, hard to think I haven't come across it.
Thank you so much. I was deep into the numerals, which make some sense, but this will be HUGE. Thanks!

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Gah, thanks very much! What a great resource, hard to think I haven't come across it.
Thank you so much. I was deep into the numerals, which make some sense, but this will be HUGE. Thanks!
No problem. If you have the time, every lesson on that site is great. They also have an exercises section which contains a lot of good resources for practicing your ability to quickly develop musical intuitions.

That site was used a lot in my music degree, so don't discount it just because it is free. The pros definitely use it to practice.

')