Chords...

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Stick with it. You'll have to be really patient as you get the fundementals down. Just set manageable goals, and you'll find your skills improve over time. For instance, rather than sitting down and saying, 'I've got to learn all these chords', say 'Today I'm just going to practice changing between A minor and E minor chords', and work until you nail that. Do that each day, and eventually it'll all become second nature.

Don't get disheartened; developing skills on the guitar takes time. I guarantee you all accomplished players felt the way you do when they first started. If you need help with anything, there's plenty of people here who are willing to offer advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Brett89

Reaction score
Stick with it. You'll have to be really patient as you get the fundementals down. Just set manageable goals, and you'll find your skills improve over time. For instance, rather than sitting down and saying, 'I've got to learn all these chords', say 'Today I'm just going to practice changing between A minor and E minor chords', and work until you nail that. Do that each day, and eventually it'll all become second nature.

Don't get disheartened; developing skills on the guitar takes time. I guarantee you all accomplished players felt the way you do when they first started. If you need help with anything, there's plenty of people here who are willing to offer advice.

Thank you:wavey:

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Please kill me!!!:wallbash:

Oh man, I'm idiot I know, but I practice the chords, pratice the scales and I don't know... it feels shit, I mean I'm not comfortable with the thing, it sound shit, and sometimes I feel it's better if I put down a guitar... I feel frustrated...:ugh:

I think that it doesn't matter how many scales and chords I know, even If I pick a single note it sound terrible... :(

What's the problem, what sould I practice? Or my approach of guitarplaying isn't good?

Meh, probably just having a few off days. Everyone gets em *cough Yngwie video* They blow major ass.

I usually just avoid playing and go do something else until I get that druggie sensation where you crave the feel of the guitar in your arms. I find that when I do that I feel alot more relaxed and have alot more fun, and then I suddenly realize that I'm making progress on the things that were frustrating me previously.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
While that's true, Mastadon. Brett is a beginner and, at the beginning, everything is uncomfortable. Sometimes it's hard to fret a simple note. I've taught the E minor open chord to several people before (possibly the easiest open chord) and not one person I taught it to could fret it without buzzing or complaining that their fingers hurt. To fix the buzzing, I just told them to put their fingers as close to the fret as possible without being on it and then I told them push down hard. That reduced the buzzing, but didn't completely get rid of it. I remember that it took a while before I could comfortably switch between open chords, but I just kept practicing. When my fingers started to hurt, I would push my fingers even harder against the frets until they were a reddish-purple. That helped me develop callouses faster. I remember how awkward scales were at first. I made mistake after mistake after mistake. If you practice and keep on trying hard, you'll get used to it.

Keep trying, Brett! :yesway:

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
^ That happened to me too.

It's just practice. The more you try, the better you get. Stick with it man. You'll be glad you did later.

Brett89

Reaction score
Thanl you for the help! :)

Two more quastion...

If I do big bends I touch other strings in the direction where I bend the string, and it makes unwanted noises... what do I do wrong?

Other... when I play scales the string the I dont play are ringing, so If I start the scale from the E string, and step to the A string, the E string rings out after that... I hope you get what I mean :scratch: So how sould I mute it?

Thanks in advance!

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
While that's true, Mastadon. Brett is a beginner and, at the beginning, everything is uncomfortable. Sometimes it's hard to fret a simple note. I've taught the E minor open chord to several people before (possibly the easiest open chord) and not one person I taught it to could fret it without buzzing or complaining that their fingers hurt. To fix the buzzing, I just told them to put their fingers as close to the fret as possible without being on it and then I told them push down hard. That reduced the buzzing, but didn't completely get rid of it. I remember that it took a while before I could comfortably switch between open chords, but I just kept practicing. When my fingers started to hurt, I would push my fingers even harder against the frets until they were a reddish-purple. That helped me develop callouses faster. I remember how awkward scales were at first. I made mistake after mistake after mistake. If you practice and keep on trying hard, you'll get used to it.

Keep trying, Brett! :yesway:

Ah , right that completely slipped my mind.

Bret89 said:
Thanl you for the help!

Two more quastion...

If I do big bends I touch other strings in the direction where I bend the string, and it makes unwanted noises... what do I do wrong?

Other... when I play scales the string the I dont play are ringing, so If I start the scale from the E string, and step to the A string, the E string rings out after that... I hope you get what I mean So how sould I mute it?

Thanks in advance!

I'm trying to figure out a reason why the other strings would wring while bending but I couldn't make it happen.

I think I can answer your second question though.

When you lift the last finger left on the low e string it has the same effect as doing a pulloff.

So for example, if you're playing an A minor scale starting at the 5th fret of the low E.

D|-------------------5
A|----------5--7--9--
E|--5--7--9----------

The pattern would be index, middle, pinkey, index, middle, pinkey, index.

As you lay your middle finger down be sure to leave your index finger on the 3rd, and as you lay your pinkey down be sure to leave your middle and index in place.

As you place your pinkey on the 7th fret begin moving your index finger to the next string. When you put your index down on the a string make sure the very tip of it is making light contact with the e string.

That way the e string will be muted when you lift your pinkey from it.

I hope I made sense.

Brett89

Reaction score
Thank you for the help!

Wel I try to explane my problem, I try my best :)

So, I do a bend on the A string, a big bend, and I pull it in to the direction of the D string. And sometimes, my finger, which bends the A string touches the D string, and it makes unwanted noise, or I bend the D string a little, but I don't want...that's all...

Sorry for my english :bowdown:

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
There's absolutely no need to apologize for your english. If anything it's admirable.

I just realized that I made a few errors in what I said earlier.
The example I wrote is actually Major, not minor.

I also should have written this:

mastodon said:
As you lay your middle finger down be sure to leave your index finger on the 5th, and as you lay your pinkey down be sure to leave your middle and index in place.

As you place your pinkey on the 9th fret begin moving your index finger to the next string. When you put your index down on the a string make sure the very tip of it is making light contact with the e string.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanl you for the help! :)

Two more quastion...

Other... when I play scales the string the I dont play are ringing, so If I start the scale from the E string, and step to the A string, the E string rings out after that... I hope you get what I mean :scratch: So how sould I mute it?

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like a damping problem.
I hold the tip of the pic very very close to the side of my thumb - so that the side of my thumb damps any string that is lower-pitched that the one I'm picking.
I also use the side of a fretting finger (usually the index finger) to damp strings that are higher-pitched than the one I'm playing - similar to what Mastodon described.

This works very well for scales & riffs, and can also help for the bending situation you described. But if you watch most blues players (a style where bending is especially important) you'll probably see them bending with their 2nd & 3rd fingers together while damping the strings they bend into with their index finger. Also a good way to go :yesway:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I also always dampen strings I'm not using so they don't ring out.

Brett89

Reaction score
Is it Ok or I wrote something wrong?

G minor

E----------------------
B----------------------
G----------------------
D-----0----------------
A-----1----------------
E-----3----------------

... notes are G, B, and D...

did I change the G and D note right? Is still a G minor chord?

E-------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------3------
G----13------------------------------3------
D-----x------------------------------0------
A----14-------------------------------------
E----10--------------------------------------
or an easyer way.... is it OK??????????

... and the other thing

I picked this G minor, and if a put a B and a D in it, it would look like this...

E------------------------
B-------3----------------
G-------3----------------
D-------0----------------
A-------1----------------
E-------3----------------

So it has a G,B,D,B and a D note.... is it correct? Is it a realy chord?

Thanks in advance!!!

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I picked this G minor, and if a put a B and a D in it, it would look like this...

E------------------------
B-------3----------------
G-------3----------------
D-------0----------------
A-------1----------------
E-------3----------------

So it has a G,B,D,B and a D note.... is it correct? Is it a realy chord?

Thanks in advance!!!

That's a G Minor, but I'd recommend you avoid doubling the third in your chord voicings. This would be a better version of that voicing for instance...

-----3------
-----3----
-----0----
-----0------
-----1----
-----3-----

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
A correction for you Brett:

did I change the G and D note right? Is still a G minor chord?

E-------------------------------------------
B------------------------------------3------
G----12------------------------------3------
D-----x------------------------------5------
A----13-------------------------------------
E----10--------------------------------------
or an easyer way.... is it OK??????????

hope that helps:yesway:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Brett do you use 'B' for Bflat and 'H' for B in your language?

I know that's the way it works in German, but I'm not sure about Hungarian. If you do use music terminology this way that could be causing some misunderstanding in this post.

Brett89

Reaction score
Brett do you use 'B' for Bflat and 'H' for B in your language?

I know that's the way it works in German, but I'm not sure about Hungarian. If you do use music terminology this way that could be causing some misunderstanding in this post.

Well yeah I head a lot of misunderstanding, becouse in Hungary well call B note H, band Bflat B... so it looks like this... or not:lol:

A B H C Cb D Db E F Fb G Gb

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Well yeah I head a lot of misunderstanding, becouse in Hungary well call B note H, band Bflat B... so it looks like this... or not:lol:

A B H C Cb D Db E F Fb G Gb

Uh, could you tell me "why"? :lol:

I mean, first of all, that order seems weird.
A A# H Bb C C#

Does the Hungarian alphabet go A H C D E F G B I J K etc.?

And seeing as B isn't flatted, why would it be called...? :scratch:

That's just really confusing.

PS: Your alphabet is wrong. The note that would come after A would be A# (A sharp). When counting up, it'd all be sharps. If you were counting down, it'd be flats. Like this:

G Gb F E Eb D Db C B Bb A Ab

Brett89

Reaction score
Uh, could you tell me "why"? :lol:

I mean, first of all, that order seems weird.
A A# H Bb C C#

Does the Hungarian alphabet go A H C D E F G B I J K etc.?

And seeing as B isn't flatted, why would it be called...? :scratch:

That's just really confusing.

PS: Your alphabet is wrong. The note that would come after A would be A# (A sharp). When counting up, it'd all be sharps. If you were counting down, it'd be flats. Like this:

G Gb F E Eb D Db C B Bb A Ab

Ohhh, sorry, but I don't know how to say it... and I'm realy a beginer, but the main thing is that the 7th string (lowest) on a guitar, or the 5th (lowest) string on a 5 string bass is H in hungary and in a few other countrys...

')