Chords...

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Brett do you use 'B' for Bflat and 'H' for B in your language?

I know that's the way it works in German, but I'm not sure about Hungarian. If you do use music terminology this way that could be causing some misunderstanding in this post.

Well yeah I head a lot of misunderstanding, becouse in Hungary well call B note H, band Bflat B... so it looks like this... or not:lol:

A B H C Cb D Db E F Fb G Gb

:wallbash: D'OH!! I should have thought a tad bit more before making my comment. I am an idiot.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Ohhh, sorry, but I don't know how to say it... and I'm realy a beginer, but the main thing is that the 7th string (lowest) on a guitar, or the 5th (lowest) string on a 5 string bass is H in hungary and in a few other countrys...

No, that's cool. We all make mistakes, especially in the beginning - and especially with theory. Just remember that every note inbetween naturals can be referred to as a flat or a sharp (for example: Bb is also known as A#), but when going up, you always use sharps and, when going down, you always use flats. :yesway:

You seem to be doing pretty well for a beginner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Note

Look at the section: "History of Note Names"

I read it, but it didn't really say why... So I'm guessing that they don't know why. Maybe it's a "that's just the way it is" kind of thing.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
No, that's cool. We all make mistakes, especially in the beginning - and especially with theory. Just remember that every note inbetween naturals can be referred to as a flat or a sharp (for example: Bb is also known as A#), but when going up, you always use sharps and, when going down, you always use flats. :yesway:

You seem to be doing pretty well for a beginner.

I read it, but it didn't really say why... So I'm guessing that they don't know why. Maybe it's a "that's just the way it is" kind of thing.

I think they did.

Wiki said:
The remaining five notes of the chromatic scale (the black keys on a piano keyboard) were added gradually; the first being B which was flattened in certain modes to avoid the dissonant augmented fourth interval. This change was not always shown in notation, but when written, B♭ (B flat) was written as a Latin, round "b", and B♮ (B natural) a Gothic b. These evolved into the modern flat and natural symbols respectively. The sharp symbol arose from a barred b, called the "cancelled b".

In parts of Europe, including Germany, the natural symbol transformed into the letter H: in German music notation, H is B♮ (B natural) and B is B♭ (B flat).

Because the letter B with a natural symbol looked alot like the German letter H.

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Another reason for the H note is so that Bach could spell his name in notes. Other compserers that elude my mind at the moment have also done this.

Brett89

Reaction score
Well it' not about chords, but I gone tell you, I had my 4th or 5th guitar lesson and I LOVE IT!!! :D:D:D All I have to do is practice... till DEATH :ugh:

My teacher dimensioned a song from the band Cream - Sunshine of your love... is not hard read music though :)

So I learned the song and played for the teacher, after that, he suddenly said "OK Ákos now improvise a solo on it" . . . and I looked like WTF??? I never EVER played a solo, a never looked on a solo's tab, Soo a tried play something shity simple thing on it... but the main thing is that improviseing is not a soo difficult thing... just one thing, practive! :)

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well it' not about chords, but I gone tell you, I had my 4th or 5th guitar lesson and I LOVE IT!!! :D:D:D All I have to do is practice... till DEATH :ugh:

My teacher dimensioned a song from the band Cream - Sunshine of your love... is not hard read music though :)

So I learned the song and played for the teacher, after that, he suddenly said "OK Ákos now improvise a solo on it" . . . and I looked like WTF??? I never EVER played a solo, a never looked on a solo's tab, Soo a tried play something shity simple thing on it... but the main thing is that improviseing is not a soo difficult thing... just one thing, practive! :)

God, SSOYL was the first song I ever learnt! Glad you're enjoying it dude!:)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Soo a tried play something shity simple thing on it... but the main thing is that improviseing is not a soo difficult thing... just one thing, practive! :)

Well, it's both the easiest thing in the world, and the hardest.

Once you get the hang of it, it's actually not very hard to do. However, you'll spend the rest of your life trying to get better, and if you're like me, you'll never be as good at it as you want to. ;)

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
^

I guess it's when there is several time signatures inside a single song or piece of music. Progressive + jazz music have a lot of rhythm changes to mark sections and/or change "color" within a (long or not) song.

As a simple example, a song could start with a basic 4/4 tempo.
Then, at some point, it could switch to 12/8 and so on...
I could be wrong though :)

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Thank you very much! :wavey:

Well he showed me that some chords (I dont know the right word for that) can be moved on the fingerboard, like the E major chord, if I remember right :scratch:

Well he gived me a lot of homework... I most learn the basic major and minor chords, plus the intervals, plus a C major scale figure....

BUT I'M SOO FUCKING HAPPY THAT I CAN LEARN PLAYING THE GUITAR!!! (sorry for the F word but I'm realy happy)

It's fun for me, I like it, well he teaches a but fast, he thinks I understand everything at the first time, but he's a great player, he's a bluesy, jazzy guy...

So thanks again

We fucking love the fuckin' F-word around here man. :D

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
This can't be stated enough. :lol:

I don't drop the f-bomb in RL a 10th as much as I do on here.

I do. :lol: I tried giving up swearing for lent. I made it 10 minutes. I was actually in my car, by myself, on the way to work and some dude cut me off. I said out loud "Fuckin' dick", and immediately realized that I'd have to give up something else. :D

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol:

Shit, I wonder if I like, have to ban myself for derailing my own forum's threads.

NegaTiveXero

.... Your Face!
Contributor
Reaction score
I think I curse in real life more than I do here.

I curse A LOT, but then again, I don't really consider it cursing, it's in the english language, fucking use it.

Shit, I wonder if I like, have to ban myself for derailing my own forum's threads.

777th Fucking Post

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
^

I guess it's when there is several time signatures inside a single song or piece of music. Progressive + jazz music have a lot of rhythm changes to mark sections and/or change "color" within a (long or not) song.

As a simple example, a song could start with a basic 4/4 tempo.
Then, at some point, it could switch to 12/8 and so on...
I could be wrong though :)

You are wrong, snagglepuss!! ... :ugh:

Actually polyrhythms are when there are two (or more) different rhythms going on at the same time. Meshuggah is the main example given on this forum (but, in world music, African music would be a good place to look). For example, they might have the drums playing in 4/4 and the guitars in 6/4. Or, they might have the guitars in 4/4 and the drums switching between 3/4, 6/4, 2/4, and 6/8 (and altogether, the drums all add up to the same amount of measures as the guitars). Or they might have one instrument in 4/4 and another in 3/4 but slower than the one in 4/4 so they match up.

Poly = many
So, I can see how you might think that it would mean time signatures changing throughout a piece of music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm

wikipedia article said:
Polyrhythm is the simultaneous sounding of two or more independent rhythms. Polyrhythms can be distinguished from irrational rhythms, which can occur within the context of a single part; polyrhythms require at least two rhythms to be played concurrently.

A simple example of a polyrhythm is 3 evenly-spaced notes against 2, with the 3-beat pattern being faster than the 2-beat pattern, so that they both take the same amount of time. Other simple polyrhythms are 3:4, 5:4, 7:4, etc. Where one of the parts involves an irrational rhythm, the resulting rhythm could be said to be an "irrational polyrhythm"

Another form of polyrhythm, which might also be termed polymeter, would be phrasing to suggest a different meter than the one being played by the rest of the ensemble. A common example of this in jazz would be phrasing quarter notes in groupings of 3 to suggest 3/4 time while the ensemble plays in 4/4. Compare with hemiola (not a polyrhythm).

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
You are wrong, snagglepuss!! ... :ugh:

Actually polyrhythms are when there are two (or more) different rhythms going on at the same time. Meshuggah is the main example given on this forum (but, in world music, African music would be a good place to look). For example, they might have the drums playing in 4/4 and the guitars in 6/4. Or, they might have the guitars in 4/4 and the drums switching between 3/4, 6/4, 2/4, and 6/8 (and altogether, the drums all add up to the same amount of measures as the guitars). Or they might have one instrument in 4/4 and another in 3/4 but slower than the one in 4/4 so they match up.

Poly = many
So, I can see how you might think that it would mean time signatures changing throughout a piece of music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyrhythm

'Kashmir' is another classic polyrhythmic example. IIRC the guitar part is in 3/4, but the drums keep playing a 4/4 rhythm.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
'Kashmir' is another classic polyrhythmic example. IIRC the guitar part is in 3/4, but the drums keep playing a 4/4 rhythm.

:eek: I didn't know I was regularly playing a polyrhythmic song. I've always thought polyrhythms would be hard and never bothered trying to try doing it before, but I used to cover Kashmir/mess around with it in 2 different bands I was in (TDW and I made a really heavy version of it, which we arranged in a very very cool way, but we never got to record it or anything. :().

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
:eek: I didn't know I was regularly playing a polyrhythmic song. I've always thought polyrhythms would be hard and never bothered trying to try doing it before, but I used to cover Kashmir/mess around with it in 2 different bands I was in (TDW and I made a really heavy version of it, which we arranged in a very very cool way, but we never got to record it or anything. :().

:agreed: Man o man, it was the bomb diggity. It was penultiumate heavy.

')