Chords...

• Thread starter Brett89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Sorry for that... but I don't want to open a new thread for a quastion like this.

I wouldn't worry about it. There's no limit on the amount of threads you're allowed to start. A question's a question, even if it seems like a simple one. That's the whole point of the beginners' section.:)

Brett89

Reaction score
I have a quastion:

What notes can I add to the three main notes of a chord? For example I have a G major triad, it has a G, B and D note. I can only use these 3 notes + octaves or I can add other ones?

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Yes you can add other notes. And technically you can add any other note. But for now you might want to try adding the minor 7 (F), or the major 7 (F#). You could also try adding a major ninth (A), or a major thirteenth (E). I listed notes you can add to the chord that will tend to 'agree' with the chord well. There are many other notes you add to any but some of them can be quite dissonant, and require special care when used.

Gmajor = G B D
Gmajor, minor7 (usually abrev. 'G7') = G B D F
Gmajor, major7 (usually abrev. 'Gmaj7') = G B D F#
Gmajor, add9 (usually abrev. 'Gadd9') = G B D A
Gmajor, add6 (usually abrev. 'Gadd6') = G B D E

And here's a picture so you can play these chords.
(For six string so that people with out sevens can use them too)
GChords.jpg

Brett89

Reaction score
Could you tell me what does it mean "chord progression"? I only know that it means something like changing a few chords that contains the same notes... is it wrong? Or is it mainly about playing chords that are in the same key?

Thanks in advance!

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
Chord progression don't have to have all chords in the same key (but that tends to be easier to work with). It just means playing chords in a predefined order.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Just realised i play the guitar like... 1 year... (I suck)
At the beginning i learned some chords.. but now.. nothing i remember :lol:

I just play - Suck at playing but still play...

:ugh:

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
an easy way to learn how to "Comp" chords is to play the Root, 7th, & 3rd of each chord togther in that order....

so for example...

group

an a - 7

A , G , C
G_5___________
D_5__________
A___________
E_5__________
B___________

d - 7

D, C, F
G_10____________
D_10___________
A____________
E_10___________
B____________
A dominant 7th

A G C#
G_6___________
D_5___________
A____________
E_5___________
B____________

etc

keep it simple 3 note chords at first when learning 7th chords.

in the beginning before adding inversions and extentions.

Once you get that you can learn what is called "drop 2 chords"
where you are inverting all the intervals..

"Drop2" chords

B_5_8_12_13___________
G_4_5_ 9__12___________
D_5_9_10_14___________
A_3_7_10_14____________
Another cool approach is the Holdsworth "way"

Stack intervals...

stack Root, 4th, 5th, 7th

so a min = A D E G
E_3________________________
B_____5______________________
G__________7________________
D_____________7______________
A
E
B

I use these A LOT!

Peace

Santiago Dobles
www.aghora.org
www.myspace.com/aghora

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Agreed. Good info.:yesway:

The 'stacked interval' approach is especially fun, especially if you use lots of fourths and fifths.

Quartal voicings (stacked fourths) are extremely versatile for everything from funk rhythms to jazz comping.

E----6-----
B----6-----
G----5-----
D----5-----
A----------
E----------
B----------

Try moving that around over a static root note, and see how it sounds...

Fifths are fun too...there's the 'prog rock power chord'...

D---9----
A---7----
E---5----

...which is basically stacked fifths, or a powerchord with an added 9. Kind of a trademark voicing for John Petrucci and Andy Summers.

If you want it to be specifically major or minor, you can add a third on top...

Minor add9

G---5----
D---9----
A---7----
E---5----

Major add9

G---6----
D---9----
A---7----
E---5----

Finally, here's one of my favourite chords of all time, courtesy of the mighty Holdsworth!:) It's based mainly on stacked fifths.

E----12----
B----12----
G----18--
D----16--
A----14------
E----12-----
B----------

Another strategy is some thing I call 'Lifeson chords'. The idea here is to take your regular voicings, and add open strings on top. You don't need to understand what they're called for now...just try this with all your regular triads and barre chords...

For example...

A regular A major barre chord...

E----5----
B----5----
G----6--
D----7--
A----7------
E----5----
B----------

The 'Lifeson' version...

E----0----
B----0----
G----6--
D----7--
A----7------
E----5----
B----------

By adding the top two open strings, the plain barre chord voicing becomes a nice ringy A Major add9!:)

It sounds like a lazy approach, but you can come up with some really nice sounds this way. Alex Lifeson is the undisputed master of this sort of thing (obviously!), as is John Petrucci (check out the strummy acoustic part in 'Voices' for a good example of this...if you're not sure of the part I mean, he plays it in his 'Rock Discipline' video when he's demonstrating his live acoustic sound).

Santiago, have you checked out Scott Henderson's 'Jazz Chord System' book? If you're into the Holdsworth style of chording, it's got some amazing voicings...

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. Good info.:yesway:

Santiago, have you checked out Scott Henderson's 'Jazz Chord System' book? If you're into the Holdsworth style of chording, it's got some amazing voicings...

No I will pick it up. I actually know Scott though. Great guy & Player!
Huge influence on me!

Brett89

Reaction score
Hi there!

Today a wrote something, it sounds nice to me. It contains these "chords":

---------------------------------
----------------------------------
----------------------------------
---9------7-----7-----7----------
---7------5-----5-----6----------
---8------6-----5-----5----------

B A A A
E D D D#
C A# A A

First one: These are not real chords? They sound nice to me...

Secound: What can I solo on this? I don't find any scale that contains A-A#-B-C-D-D#-E . . . so, any idea what can I play? Or sould I use these notes?

Thanks in advance :wavey:

DDDorian

Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first chord is Cmaj7 with no 5th, the second chord is A#maj7 with no 5th, the third chord is an inverted D powerchord with an octave A note on top and the fourth chord is an A "tritone" chord with the root note, flat 5th and octave. To solo over a riff like that, you can pretty much just take the Kerry King approach and hit random notes with lots of whammy bar action, that's what I'd do, heh.

Aghorasilat

33rd degree
Contributor
Reaction score
What does polyrhytm mean?

Poly rhythm is when you super impose 2 or more seperate rhythms that have different tempos and or timing on top of a common pulse. So you would play for example a 4/4 and on top of that you are counting either a 3 against the 4 or a 2 against the 4 or a 5 or a 6 or a 7, etc...

Polymeter is when you superimpose a different time signature but with same tempo over a common pulse for example you play in 120 bpms 4/4 and another instrument is playing 7/8.

poly meter tends to give you more "over the bar line" stuff. Both are essential to know for good music :hbang:

I had to edit out my examples cause for somereason it wouldn't post as I had meant it o be expressed,

Peace

Santiago Dobles

DelfinoPie

Whoopsie Daisy!
Contributor
Reaction score
BUT I'M SOO FUCKING HAPPY THAT I CAN LEARN PLAYING THE GUITAR!!!

I don't think I've come across this thread before but straight away thats the right attitude to have man. Its awesome you're loving your tuition :yesway:

I've recently started working on my chord construction and refreshing some of my theory knowledge so that when the time comes for my to record I can do some experiments :)

Best of luck to you! Keep up the good work.:yesway:

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Sweep picking is a way to get from one string to the next with only one stroke (picking movement.)

So sweeping can be applied to anything that uses more than one string - scales, chords (arpeggios), random notes, anything.

Frank Gambale has many excellent instructional books & videos on sweeping.

')