Chris Broderick's Pick Clip

• Thread starter shadowsea
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shadowsea

Reaction score

yeah saw a post on ss.org about 5 months ago mentioning this vid and chris' invention of the "pick clip"
Question:
anyone have any current info on a release date for the pick clip, or any info in general? haven't found anything new :/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mehnike

SS.org Peruser
Reaction score
Sorry for no help here, but definitely wanting to try one out.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
Same here. Ive been waiting on this one for awhile now. Try his forum. There might be some info there

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to bump this, but... I've been toying around with the idea of not having to use two fingers to hold the pick for a while. It just opens so many new doors. When I saw what Chris Broderick had done to his pick and what he's doing with it, I finally succumbed to the idea of getting one... I've been trying to make a usable thumb pick that can serve as an actual pick (for lead playing, good control over dynamics, heavy riffing, etc) and as a way to bring out the bass notes in fingerstyle playing and a way to use all my fingers and have a closer "connection" with the instrument.

I've actually glued a couple Jazz III's to a thumb pick (which I cut the tip from) and to a piece of shoelace that was made into a circle and then glued to the pick. They're both semi-functional, and are better than each other in different aspects and are more comfortable for different things, but they both feel kinda funny and have a couple playability issues. I'm looking for something that can combine the versatility of a thumb pick and the feel of a regular pick (preferably a Jazz III pick :lol:). I really want to try Chris' design out. Does anyone have any new information that he might've talked about about his pick clip? Maybe if it'll be released soon, or something like that.

Picky me. :wallbash: :lol:

tl;dr I want to know if anyone has any new information on these picks, or if anyone knows of any similar picks out there!

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
Had this existed and been on my hand I wouldn't of just lost my pick checking a book... hmmm I approve of this design should it be released. I would definitely like to try it.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
Double post.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score
As do I, good sir.

As far as the pick goes, it seems to be held in the same position as a regular thumb pick, so could you file a thumb pick to a shape of your liking?

Tried that. And while it isn't impossible, it's rather uncomfortable. The ring part of the thumb pick prevents me from movie the finger freely, and I can't really control the movement on the pick for dynamics and such. Also, the ring of the thumb pick comes in contact with other strings, which makes them resonate and it sounds really messy. I found a "design" that works relatively well for me so far. I got a small piece of some spare shoe laces I had from some Vans shoes I got ages ago, and made that small piece into a ring around my thumb. Then, I glued that to an Ultex Jazz III. It feels better, I get more control of the pick, and the fabric doesn't make the strings ring as much. But when I try to finger pick, it's a bit too loose, due to the fabric's softness.

Thanks for the input, though! :)

Last edited:

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Yea, been waiting on this too.. I have the Fred Kelly bumblebee pick, which is ok but its too flimsy and also too long..

I've been trying to think of how to make a similar style to Brodericks in the meanwhile, if I could find a way to bend a piece of metal in the correct position enough that it would stay solid, and not break.. just not sure how to do it on a DIY-home basis.. A paperclip would be too fragile to bend that much.. hmm

It has to be sturdy, so metal is the best choice imo.. string like you said is too soft and moves too much.

Alberto7

Contributor
Reaction score

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
For a while, I've just been taking the white Dunlop thumb picks and filing them down to Jazz III profiles, and it's worked out pretty well so far. One thing I've noticed is that it does cause a little more strain on my thumb than using a regular flatpick, but that may be due to the thickness of the part that wraps around the thumb. it's still easier than using a pick, so for now I mostly just use it for songs that have a lot of tapping or fingerpicking.

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
Delrin Bumblebee Jazz
Would that work as well? You can change how far the pick is out and the angle.

while you can change how far the pick is, its still no where near close enough for me (or most shredders probably too) - I had to shave the bumblebees down, so I dont even bother using them now.

they are also made with cheap plastic. doesnt sound good tonally imo.

So good idea, just bad execution

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
I have a bunch of these. I bought the "large" version and it's still too small for my thumb. But really, the biggest downside is that you can't do pinch harmonics.

using your index finger you can still get it to work, just takes practice.

Just wish they used better material than cheap plastic for them.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Bumping.

80e0e0b3fe7e4fc48d1d84e.png

Latest posts

')