Chris Letchford leaves Strandberg for Kiesel

• Thread starter AkiraSpectrum
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also, notice that in the more recent months, Strandberg was sending Chris the Korean-made OS Bodens, which are now becoming widely known for their quality control issues and for being made of cheaper materials that do not exactly hold up to the quality expected by the high price tag. Ola with his tight-fisted business tactics probably did not want to cough up a Japanese-made or Swedish-made Strandberg (even for an artist) which are also severely overpriced. (Notice that no one owns a Japanese-made or Swedish-made Strandberg. Seems like it is OS or bust, which makes me wonder if the Japanese-made or Swedish-made Strandbergs are just a ploy to try to sell the OS models by making them look like a better deal than what they really are.) With the switch to Kiesel, Chris now can get free or discounted USA-made semi-custom production line guitars; and despite Kiesel's history of quality control issues in the past (that they tried to sweep under the rug), you cannot deny that their quality 100% will be above the quality of any cheaper Korean factory.

Source for any of this? I'm not a Strandberg fanboy or anything and I don't own one but I also don't recall seeing anything about quality control issues on the OS series... even the Chinese ones posted here have been solid according to the owners. I think you're reading way too much into Letchford touring with what were essentially readily available OS models instead of his customs :2c:

Also in all seriousness if you don't stop posting stuff to stir drama over a certain douche who has been fired you are going to get perma'd. We get it, you have a personal axe to grind, but you're not doing it here anymore.

schwiz

Lefty
Reaction score
Congrats to Chris on his new endorsement. I'm sure he had his reasons for leaving Standberg, most of which probably won't be apparent to us internet dwellers.

bonga

Reaction score
:rofl: Yeah agreed, personally I love sparkle finishes but $600 for that seems oddly high, especially considering the pricing from folks who do sparkle finishes all the time. I get that it's more of a pain to shoot them and that cleaning the paint guns afterwards is more work, but I don't know that the price tag attached matches that. :2c:

On one of the recent Facebook live videos that Jeff does, he mentioned that the reason sparkle finishes cost so much that it's new, time consuming and they don't have any orders for it. I do image by the statements made by Jeff that if enough people order one, the price could go down by $100-$200.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score
Here are the controls, guys.

Volume knobs, tone knob, one switch is the pickup selector, and one switch is a coil split.

In regards to Chris switching over the Kiesel, the endorsement had to have included some sort of cash incentive on top of free or discounted gear, which is typically the case for securing exclusivity deals with an artist (especially artists whom have been known for playing multiple brands in the past). As you all know, it is tough being a professional musician nowadays, and I'm sure that the cash incentive for sales of guitars is far more valuable than just "more gear" that will sit around at home.

Also, notice that in the more recent months, Strandberg was sending Chris the Korean-made OS Bodens, which are now becoming widely known for their quality control issues and for being made of cheaper materials that do not exactly hold up to the quality expected by the high price tag. Ola with his tight-fisted business tactics probably did not want to cough up a Japanese-made or Swedish-made Strandberg (even for an artist) which are also severely overpriced. (Notice that no one owns a Japanese-made or Swedish-made Strandberg. Seems like it is OS or bust, which makes me wonder if the Japanese-made or Swedish-made Strandbergs are just a ploy to try to sell the OS models by making them look like a better deal than what they really are.) With the switch to Kiesel, Chris now can get free or discounted USA-made semi-custom production line guitars; and despite Kiesel's history of quality control issues in the past (that they tried to sweep under the rug), you cannot deny that their quality 100% will be above the quality of any cheaper Korean factory.

Seems like it was a win-win for Chris. Despite my personal conviction against supporting Kiesel because of their excessive overhyping campaigns and their shady tactics with hiring that Internet jackass Khoury, I really don't blame Chris for switching. He is a musician that is finding ways to survive in the industry nowadays by doing endorsement deals, multiple projects, lessons, instructional DVDs, books, clothing, etc.

If I didn't suspect you are really serious, this could actually have been funny.... :ugh::nuts:

PS: I actually own a Swedish Strandberg... I must be part of the conspiracy too!! :lol:

Back on topic, the Vader is not to my taste but goood thing for Chris if he could get a good endorsment deal! And so what if financial considerations are part of the decision? music is their JOB! He has to care about money. When you are offered a new job is the new salary a consideration? I hope it is... ;)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd gladly play any of this guy's signature guitars, if one was handed to me. :2c:

To be frank, I don't care at all for the finish, though. It's not the worst I've seen, but it is on the tacky side of what I consider acceptable.

And to upcharge $600 for that finish, well... I guess I'll just say that I like Chris's taste in guitars.

I own neither a Strandy nor a Kiesel. I probably will own neither, but if I didn't have an Oni that was absolutely perfect for me for the past several years, I would be all over whichever Strandy, Vader, or Skervy I could afford.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
What sorts of OS QC issues are you referring to? I haven't heard those sorts of things about that line. Also plenty of people have bought customs and Boden Js so have them be a ploy to sell OS models seems unlikely. For what it's worth, from both my own experience and accounts of others, Ola seems too honest to refuse to deliver a Swedish or Japanese model to his artists. I'm thinking either Kiesel gave Chris a really good endorsement deal, or maybe he just likes the Vader a lot. We're not really to say until he does. Just my $0.02
The QC issues are out there. But then again, it is made in a Korean factory, so some tiny things (bad frets, sharp fret ends, neck pocket gap, poor wiring, cheap wood, etc.) are to be expected.

And as far as quality of materials, I have a connection who used to work at the factory, and he told me that Strandberg could charge $1K for an OS and still make a killing.

Oh, and just to clarify, when I say "Swedish-made" Strandberg, I don't mean an Olaberg. I mean a production model guitar built in the new Swedish factory that Ola switched to after he split ways with Washburn/Parker in the USA.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
The anti-Carvin boners on this site are ridiculous. They make good guitars. They always have. Remember when the DC800's came out and the entire site collective sh!t a brick and fangirl'd like there was no tomorrow?

They're a good company that makes good guitars and they arent afraid to try new stuff. I think Chris made the right call switching to a company that lets him stay headless but can support all of his needs. Who cares if Jeff is a douche?

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
The QC issues are out there. But then again, it is made in a Korean factory, so some tiny things (bad frets, sharp fret ends, neck pocket gap, poor wiring, cheap wood, etc.) are to be expected.

[citation needed]

TheDandy

Reaction score

And as far as quality of materials, I have a connection who used to work at the factory, and he told me that Strandberg could charge $1K for an OS and still make a killing.

Oh, and just to clarify, when I say "Swedish-made" Strandberg, I don't mean an Olaberg. I mean a production model guitar built in the new Swedish factory that Ola switched to after he split ways with Washburn/Parker in the USA.

Won't speak on the QC issues as I don't own on, but a lot of the cost comes from the technology (EndurNeck, hardware, body shape, etc.) which isn't available anywhere else. And not only do many people own Olabergs, but plenty own Swedish customs as well.

Casper777

Slow Player
Reaction score

But are you serious?!?
Do you really think than Asian workers, yes those who manufacture your TVs, PCs and your smartphone can't file a stupid fret end?!? That those who produce some of the most reliable cars in the world (yes more reliable than US ones!) can't solder a 4 conductor pickup!?!!? what is this load of c..p you spread here? :wallbash::wallbash:

PS - 2: Yes I own a production Swedish model. They exist for real you know!! :ugh:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
The anti-Carvin boners on this site are ridiculous. They make good guitars. They always have. Remember when the DC800's came out and the entire site collective sh!t a brick and fangirl'd like there was no tomorrow?

They're a good company that makes good guitars and they arent afraid to try new stuff. I think Chris made the right call switching to a company that lets him stay headless but can support all of his needs. Who cares if Jeff is a douche?

Not to mention that when the Vader was announced, the reactions on this site were >80% positive.

I think things turned around when a couple customers here got screwed over by piss poor customer service and then the company reacted to this forum's reaction unprofessionally, but that's just my observation from outside all of this.

I honestly am a little put off by how the company has managed public relations, but I've seen far far worse, and I do like their guitars.

.strandberg*, on the other hand, from what I can tell, is on the up-and-up.

As for Chris making the decision to move, I think he's smart in doing so, even though I don't understand all of the reasons why, and I think the finish on the Kiesel is distracting in a lot of wrong ways.

I wish all three parties all the best moving forward.

Fred the Shred

Shrederick
Reaction score
First off, here's hoping the best for Chris and his new partnership with Kiesel. :)

Also, major kudos for gracefully accepting a business decision while acknowledging the artist's past contributions to Ola. It's not just polite - it shows character and what I deem as a very correct posture in light of this sort of thing. :yesway:

Not to mention that when the Vader was announced, the reactions on this site were >80% positive.

I think things turned around when a couple customers here got screwed over by piss poor customer service and then the company reacted to this forum's reaction unprofessionally, but that's just my observation from outside all of this.

I honestly am a little put off by how the company has managed public relations, but I've seen far far worse, and I do like their guitars.

.strandberg*, on the other hand, from what I can tell, is on the up-and-up.

As for Chris making the decision to move, I think he's smart in doing so, even though I don't understand all of the reasons why, and I think the finish on the Kiesel is distracting in a lot of wrong ways.

I wish all three parties all the best moving forward.

Pretty much, yes. Things can easily go overboard when it comes to people's reactions. It's one thing to see poor customer support decisions regarding some stuff going .... up and rightfully pointing that out - if nobody says a thing when you screw up, then it is likely to never be addressed, and it can come back to bite you in the ass as time goes by. What the couple posts I saw with that sort of event happening ended up being was a full-on "Kiesel is God" / "Kiesel is the Devil" debate in which attempting to stick to the subject, namely that specific guitar and proposed solutions, was bound to fail since extrapolations were the key.

Am I a fan of the PR approach Kiesel has chosen to pursue? In many cases, not really. Even with the few and far between guitars that came out subpar, it's most certainly not enough to immediately have a horrible image of the company. Quite the contrary, since it remains some absurd bang for the buck in the US if you choose specs wisely. If they learn from their mistakes as they consolidate their recent change of approach, all parties win, and that's what matters.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
But are you serious?!?
Do you really think than Asian workers, yes those who manufacture your TVs, PCs and your smartphone can't file a stupid fret end?!? That those who produce some of the most reliable cars in the world (yes more reliable than US ones!) can't solder a 4 conductor pickup!?!!? what is this load of c..p you spread here? :wallbash::wallbash:
This literally might be the dumbest comment that I've read on this forum in a very long time. Someone please remove this child from the forum.

You are aware that there are many guitars released under many brands that are made in Asian factories (Korea, Indonesia, China, etc.) and that have suffered from flaws and quality control issues? And you know what? They are documented. Why, I just stumbled upon yet another example yesterday that included not only one but TWO Korean-made Legator guitars that suffered from poor quality control. Clearly someone could not file a fret end...amongst other things.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izZiJmJye2o

Zinter

Canuck Guitar Tech
Reaction score
This literally might be the dumbest comment that I've read on this forum in a very long time. Someone please remove this child from the forum.

You are aware that there are many guitars released under many brands that are made in Asian factories (Korea, Indonesia, China, etc.) and that have suffered from flaws and quality control issues? And you know what? They are documented. Why, I just stumbled upon yet another example yesterday that included not only one but TWO Korean-made Legator guitars that suffered from poor quality control. Clearly someone could not file a fret end...amongst other things.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izZiJmJye2o

First off, chillout dude. Can we keep this civil?

Second, you realize there are quality levels within those factories? Or did your insider friend not know that and was in shipping? Did you know Indonesia is not in Korea? Neither is China. A poor comparison.

Third, you were asked to provide evidence of the many faulty OS series you've seen and decided to link to a Legator guitar...? :scratch:

')