Chriskanluthier - *First Fanned Fret Build!*

Reaction score
Hey there!

My name is Chris, I am from Montreal, Canada. I graduated from a luthery school in Quebec where I built 3 guitars (2 classicals and 1 acoustic). A year later, I decided to build myself my first electric guitar. My friend Oremus91 suggested me to show my work-in-progress in this thread/forum for any curious eyes to take a look and get some feedback from you! Here are my first steps into my work: neck and head angle, starting the fretboard and getting the body ready for more work to come.

Enjoy! and Merci! :)

The neck blank 3 piece flamed maple
wUeSnIe.jpg

Ebony fretboard
kGbTKNv.jpg

12 degree headstock angle cut
KUlQ83J.jpg

SvnRZ3u.jpg

j45X1yu.jpg

Flamed maple top + alder body
Rno3Crh.jpg

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
This weekend, I progressed as much as I could. The fretboard has been slotted for the frets, I still have to sand the thickness down a little though. The top has been glued to the body and the neck is waiting for the headplate and it is all traced up to the final dimensions. Also some templated has been designed but not yet finished. A little detour to the shop will be needed to continue!

6DcHk9F.jpg

Qbhh2Lc.jpg

sKjc5iK.jpg

bbHbEbj.jpg

qJxJEa3.jpg

oremus91

Melodeth-er
Reaction score
The neck looks fantastic. I'm interested to see how the headstock turns out too, it looks like it might be a 2+4 to get straight string pull like an inverse JP6 sort of style layout.

Reaction score
It will be a 6 in line on the left side of the headstock. I don't mind that the strings aren't straight pull, many builders do it like that.

Reaction score
if you look at most acoustic or classical guitars, the strings doesn't always follow a straight line, even on electric guitars they are not 100% straight. never had any problem with that! But I will take any advice in consideration and my headstock is still not cut so I am not that worried at the moment

HaMMerHeD

Reaction score
Looks crisp and clean. I like it.

I think the 'straight string pull' thing is one of the single most over-rated features of guitar construction.

Reaction score
Little update: the very flamed maple head plate is glued. A little black veneer in between to make a nice contrast with it. Next steps: shaping the head stock, channel the neck for the truss rod and glue that fretboard over. After that the fun part: shaping the neck!

LbJPMCB.jpg

Zo4jSaa.jpg

Thrashman

Got Groove?
Reaction score
Really excited to see how this turns out!

And yeah, that headstock design is not suitable for a 6 in line config. The strings don't need a straight pull, sure, but yours would be overdoing it in that state.

Reaction score
How would you know? I've drawn it many times on my plan, on the headstock itself, I have reviewed my head design it is not over-doing it.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe he's an amateur luthier.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Looks crisp and clean. I like it.

I think the 'straight string pull' thing is one of the single most over-rated features of guitar construction.

I tend to agree. Thinking about it rationally, why is a sharp downwards angle over the nut considered superior, but if it goes even slightly off to the side it'll suddenly be a tuning nightmare due to friction? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Bodes

Reaction score
ewww..... non-straight string pull.... It'll never work...

JS30KE-IFRSW_headstock-front.jpg

300px-KorinaexplorerHeadstock.jpg

I35D4_headstock-front.jpg

Yeah. Sorry buddy, no one ever designed a non-straight string pull that works. Gonna really have to redesign it [/sarcasm]

GuitarBizarre

Listen to physics.
Reaction score
I tend to agree. Thinking about it rationally, why is a sharp downwards angle over the nut considered superior, but if it goes even slightly off to the side it'll suddenly be a tuning nightmare due to friction? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Because the directions the forces are being applied in are conducive to a downwards angle, but not a sideways one. Not to mention you NEED a downwards angle in order to avoid sympathetic ringing of the strings behind the nut, but there's no mechanical need for a sideways one - only disavantages.

I own guitars with non-straight string pull that work fine, but that doesn't make it better - those guitars DO need more fiddling tuning wise because it does have an effect.

Considering the first defense of the idea in this thread was "Many builders do it", all I can really say is, fanned frets without a straight string pull seems anachronistic to me - Why utilise such a forward thinking design in some places, then ignore an obvious design improvement elsewhere?

If your best defense of an idea is that it's been done before, it's probably wise to consider whether it's the best idea.

')