Christians vs Atheists. whats the deal?

• Thread starter MorbidTravis
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vairocarnal

...is something.
Reaction score
Alright, before you say anything I'm not going to tell you to believe in God or you will go to Hell for an eternity. You are allowed to believe in what ever you want. But if you are a Christian believing in God to get away from Hell, you are a Christian for the wrong reason. so lets start.
no bullshit please, i want to have a serious conversation, and still be friends because i wont see you any differently no matter your religion, or no religion.

So, why is that atheists go around telling people that christians try to force our religion on you yet very few christians do that and every (non) religion does that? I understand that christians used to force natives to convert and some are still trying to convert other today, but now the atheists are having advertisements on public buses saying that there is no God. If atheists dont like christians trying to convert others, why are they putting up advertisements saying there is no God?

remember no bullshit this is supposed to be serious.

It's because history is doomed to repeat itself and unfortunately for the people of this planet the squirreliest motherfuckers usually end up at the top of whatever system's in control and pull some supremacist bullshit.

Long story short I don't think it's that two groups "Fight" per se but rather a third party that either starts a dispute or perpetuates it for their own gain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Jewish Crusade, witch hunt and holy war: Palestine.
The Palestinians are just as bad, but we're not talking about them.

Muslim oppression: India, resulting in the eventual creation of Pakistan.

I don't agree with the original point either though. The most a persecuted minority can usually hope for is a fast escape from their country as refugees before they're made extinct.

:agreed:

To say that the Israelis aren't persecuting the Palestinians is just ridiculous.

And let's not forget the original Crusades too.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
if you had scrolled through the rest of the conversation you would have seen it was explained to me. there are 2 types etc...

Well I've always thought for Arabic (Via Religious studies in school) It Meant to be hostile and in hebrew it means the wanderer.

Also I thought I read somewhere that the word means free thought or something like that.

:2c:

I've given up, personally, on the whole battle/argument - I'll live my life through no one but myself, doing things for myself and the people I care for :agreed: Although It'd be handy if god could get me a job :lol:

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score
Well I've always thought for Arabic (Via Religious studies in school) It Meant to be hostile and in hebrew it means the wanderer.

Also I thought I read somewhere that the word means free thought or something like that.

:2c:

I've given up, personally, on the whole battle/argument - I'll live my life through no one but myself, doing things for myself and the people I care for :agreed: Although It'd be handy if god could get me a job :lol:

You could always become a priest.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
I just saw this, and i thought it was really funny. If we look at the major religions, its actually rather the opposite. Who has oppressed muslims, ever? They make up a dominant part of the middle east, and have a huge population in china. Likewise, since roman times, when has christianity ever been oppressed? These are the two most violent religions of the past 1000 years.
Contrarily, Judaism gets repressed all the time, yet i havent seen any jewish crusades, jewish witchhunts or jewish jihads.

Well, fwiw, Mohammed was exiled during his lifetime which added a certain something to his teachings.

Anyway, with Islam being an expansionist religion with the ultimate goal being a global caliphate (at least according to some flavours of it) you can see that they could yell about being oppressed in any situation other then being in 100% control of that society.

As for Christianity being oppressed... well, in certain cultures it is and has been. The one thing to remember is that because Christianity depends so much in interpretation that various sects and factions have been oppressing each other since the start. :noplease:

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, fwiw, Mohammed was exiled during his lifetime which added a certain something to his teachings.

Anyway, with Islam being an expansionist religion with the ultimate goal being a global caliphate (at least according to some flavours of it) you can see that they could yell about being oppressed in any situation other then being in 100% control of that society.

As for Christianity being oppressed... well, in certain cultures it is and has been. The one thing to remember is that because Christianity depends so much in interpretation that various sects and factions have been oppressing each other since the start. :noplease:

But in fairness, Christianity is also an expansionist religion just as much as Islam. The bible is rife with aggressive language.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Marx was wrong in that regard. You can't compare Opiates with religion.

Because opiates are mind-expanding drugs.

By mind expanding you mean having mind and body do basically nothing but stare at the floral patterns on plates for hours on end?

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Not necessarily... Getting hit up with morphine after an operation ain't mind expanding but it makes the world a very happy place.

arktan

Icnomptenent
Reaction score
By mind expanding you mean having mind and body do basically nothing but stare at the floral patterns on plates for hours on end?

From my point of view still more mind-expanding than believing in

-a father of a zombie-son-of-god

-a god's prophet-warrior-leader who wrecked half of the middle east and was to afraid to stand and fight in a middle eastern city

-a god of slaves who didn't put up a fight against a tyrant

-a place where i go after i die with my bowels spread all over a battlefield.

-etc. etc.

Koshchei

Banned
Reaction score
Also, if i recall, the whole pakistan creation wasnt because of an active persecution, but more along the lines of muslims being shunned from normal society? Could be wrong.

There was a lot of violent persecution directed towards Muslims and Sikhs in India. Inasmuch as India is hundreds of years ahead of the world from a multi-culturalist and pluralist perspective, the population are really superstitious and uneducated, and as such are easy to incite, as Mahatma Gandhi did.

Regarding the persecution of Jews in Europe, I've always been fascinated with the Roma and their totally different approach to dealing with exclusion and alienation by the countries they inhabit. There's a deep cultural affinity between the gypsies and the Ashkenazim, which I don't fully understand, as they occupy diametrically opposite positions in society - the Roma are nomadic, existing on the periphery of society, whereas Jews are the entrenched centre of the merchant class - one would see the two as incompatible, yet there's a great deal of cultural cross-pollination, especially musically.

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Creationism 'should be taught in science lessons' - Telegraph

This bullshit has now spread to where I grew up. I am very, very, very annoyed about this. Coming from a family of teachers idiocy like this really gets my goat. If my father was still alive he'd be even angrier then I am.

Thanks, vocal moronic minority (I hope) of christians and their vocal moronic muslim friends...

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Christians vs Atheists?

bumpin' this little gem!

basically, if there was a war between Christians and Atheists as you are implying, then Atheists would certainly win. why you ask? well because while the Christians were praying for victory and reading up on The Bible (don't get me started on that), the Atheists would be thinking about practical ways to win, thus resulting in a better-prepared wage on the latter's half and an ensuing victory on their part.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Christians vs Atheists?

bumpin' this little gem!

basically, if there was a war between Christians and Atheists as you are implying, then Atheists would certainly win. why you ask? well because while the Christians were praying for victory and reading up on The Bible (don't get me started on that), the Atheists would be thinking about practical ways to win, thus resulting in a better-prepared wage on the latter's half and an ensuing victory on their part.

Ah! But the Fundis have all the nukes! ;)

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
This reminds me of Superman VS. Goku at this point.

')