Chrono Trigger Tribute - Chrono Rawk!

• Thread starter Shrikkanth
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shrikkanth

Reaction score
bump.

Anyone had a listen? I'd really appreciate some production tips here. I think my rhythm tone is good for what I've got. My lead tone I have no idea what to do with :'( And drums... I'm clueless

iceythe

SS.org Irregular
Reaction score
Definitely nothing wrong with the tone at all. I'm enjoying both leads and rhythm characteristics.

Hi-hat sticks out from the rest of the mix, even apart from the cymbals. It has a bit of highs that sets it apart from the rest.

Note that this next bit is very opinionated; but I'd start off with having the cleans playing the repeating intro part for two reasons. It should blend better with the strings VST you have going (which also should have some stereo widening to it), and to seperate and emphasize the actual lead performance that starts at 0:11.

You could also boost the low-end of the string vst to emphasize its beats. I'd give it a boost at 80-150Hz and pass it through a compressor with 50ms attack to get it spiking. Should be no problem to automate away this spiking as you fade away / bring in more elements like rhythm later on.

For the actual lead, it could do with a bit more reverb and less stereo delay, but not by much. Some figures to work with for reverb; 3-4 seconds reverb, hi-pass reverb at 2kHz, pre-delay it anywhere between 40-80ms and a mix around 7-10%. Longer pre-delay adds more space.

I definitely enjoy this. Do make more like this. There's nothing like these kind of music.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
LOVE Chronotrigger and its soundtrack. It constantly comes up on my shuffle play list. This is sweet man. Really cool, MAKE MOAR.

EDIT: I'd add a touch more gain to your lead tone, but only for the sake of sustain. By no means does it sound "bad". Great mix too. Nice and clean.

Shrikkanth

Reaction score
Hey thanks a lot guys! I'll definitely refer to this feedback for sorting out my drum and lead guitar issues :) Really appreciate it.

Also this whole experience has inspired me to play Chrono Trigger from scratch again. SO freaking good :')

Latest posts

')