Circle of Fifths.. helpful learning video

• Thread starter Sinster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Good one, learned this stuff a long time ago, but wish they had explained it to me like this.\
Might have made it a bit easier to pick up.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
Man, that's a confusing way to learn it. :lol: But, hey, if it works for you, more power to you. I like the link.

I had the hardest time with the CO5th's.. I sat, stared, and read this site Interactive Circle of Fifths numerous times. But it never fully clicked.. Even though everyone said it was easy to decipher. I came across this and it clicked..

Fixed.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
That is a much easier way of doing things than memorizing from charts like they made us do in music theory class.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
That is a much easier way of doing things than memorizing from charts like they made us do in music theory class.

Yeah, the whole circle thing is kind of unnecessarily confusing. I made a grid thing that took up a hundredth of the space one of those damn circles did when I was learning this stuff. :lol:

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, the whole circle thing is kind of unnecessarily confusing. I made a grid thing that took up a hundredth of the space one of those damn circles did when I was learning this stuff. :lol:

I actually meant it the other way around. I suck at flat out memorization, but the circle is (to me, at least) very simple, and it would be a lot easier for me to memorize and visualize the circle than to memorize which key has how many sharps or flats.

Mr. Big Noodles

Theory God
Reaction score
There's about a thousand ways to look at it, if not more. So long as you know the order that the accidentals are added, you're pretty much set. My first semester theory teacher gave us a few tricks for keys: the last sharp in a sharp key will always be the leading tone, the penultimate flat in a flat key will always be the tonic. Of course, these are only for major keys, and the penultimate flat trick doesn't work in F, but that one's easy enough to remember.

')