Claas custom headless NGD - review

• Thread starter dragonbiscuit
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dragonbiscuit

G.A.S. Therapist
Reaction score
Let me start this review off by stating that I am NOT on a mission to destroy this guy’s reputation. Check out my review and decide for yourselves. I simply feel obligated to present this information as objectively as possible and to that end have uploaded many hi-res pics that back up everything I will describe. The pictures speak for themselves. I sincerely hope this thread does not turn into a Claas bashing hate fest (or result in any animosity toward me). Let’s keep it respectful to all. I also want to quickly apologize for putting out info about this situation on Zsharp’s NGD thread. It was not my intention to harsh his NGD buzz or take away from his enjoyment in any way. It’s obviously a very pretty guitar.

This will be a somewhat detailed review - so for the impulsive folks (like me) here’s a link directly to the pics on photobucket:
http://s749.photobucket.com/user/dragonbiscuit2001/slideshow/Claas%20POS%20Damage%20Pics

Damage to guitar body: breaks in two places that he poorly attempted to cover up and NEVER disclosed. First is below the bridge along the outer edge of body front, and second is on the outside edge of the body close to the upper recessed strap lock on the player’s side. Yikes

If that wasn’t bad enough… There was an obvious break where a chunk of maple came right off the fret board that was also horribly repaired. I mean look at the pics - Uggh

Moving on… The fret slots were made very deep and then apparently filled with some type of clear adhesive. Crazy glue? You can see the big gaps from the side view. The worst part of that situation is the way he installed the frets. Look at the fret tangs - my god they’re terribly crooked and bent. Very bad work - that was undoubtedly rushed. In fact, I’m guessing the whole build was terribly rushed - hence the poor quality. What other conclusion can I make? He’s clearly capable of doing good work on other people’s guitars.

Nut: There was no nut or form of string guide - at all. Check the pics - the strings moved back and forth laterally along the zero with the slightest pressure resulting in a loud ping noise. While I was still thinking about salvaging this guitar I went ahead and hand filed a black tusq nut that ultimately worked quite well - waste of time of course, but again - this build was rushed - big time. I mean no nut at all? Nothing?

Placement of the lower recessed strap lock makes it impossible to rest my forearm on the body. Even if everything else was done properly - this would be something big enough to prevent me from playing the guitar - at least with a strap.

Everything on the guitar was mounted crookedly - I mean everything. Essentially this means all the threaded inserts were installed crookedly in haste. Even his own name plate was mounted crookedly and not flush with the body. The rear trem and control covers were very bad, to the extent that one end of the metal cover was sticking way up past the body and the other end was recessed below it. Also, all the bolts were installed crooked. Check the pics showing the bolts holding on the neck. They were not even put in straight and again - some of them are up past the body while others are very recessed. This is obviously due to a rush job when installing the threaded bolt inserts.

The way he mounted the trem claw was obviously an attempt to find a workable solution with his body design while installing the Strandberg trem that went horribly wrong, and probably part of the reason (along with the improperly installed threaded inserts) the control cover was mounted so badly. As I attempted to remove the trem cover so I could adjust the trem claw screws (as the floating bridge was nowhere near parallel upon receipt), there was a loud crunch when one of the bolts that he haphazardly installed and inadvertently cross threaded, again due to the misaligned inserts, pulled the whole insert straight out of the body along with a nice chunk of mahogany. Check the pics to see the disaster that was behind the cover. It’s easy to see this was a terrible botch job, and because of the way he mounted the trem claw it was impossible for me to change string gauges or tuning. I mean look at the trem claw - it's right up against the body!

The way pickups were mounted make it impossible to adjust their height - no joy.

Finish: there’s some kind of weird finish flaw on the body that resulted in a very unsightly streak that is both highly reflective and a completely different texture from the rest of the body. Perhaps something was spilled on it? Clear coat? Who knows - it’s unsightly and again, could have been mentioned or repaired.

There’s actually more a lot more to say but I’m growing tired, and getting emotional about this again - so I’ll wrap it up.

Beyond the very obvious and major flaws in this instrument, I’m deeply troubled by the fact he never mentioned any of the issues with this guitar, and instead tried to hide them. Even the way he photographed the instrument and posted the pics on his FB site were an obvious attempt to obscure the very big flaws. It’s an integrity issue (or lack thereof) first and foremost. I demonstrated good faith by paying 100% of this build up front, and even if I had waited to pay the balance after he finished the guitar, I would not have been able to detect the damage due to the way he photographed it. The only way I could ever be compensated fairly in my opinion is with a full refund including shipping wired back to my account before I shipped back the guitar. I mean that’s only fair considering I showed absolute faith going into this by paying the full balance up front. Will it happen? I highly doubt it. I’m left with a very expensive guitar that will never be played and cannot be sold. I’m a man of modest means and spending $3-4K on a guitar represents a tremendous sacrifice to me and my family. They are the only luxury type item I spend money on. Yes, I know it’s a first world problem and I am truly grateful to own the beautiful guitars I have (love my Suhrs and Strandbergs). I perceive this review as a way to help others make an informed decision regarding a very substantial purchase, and an opportunity for Alexander to do the right thing and refund my money. We all deserve second chances and by no means am I perfect. I hope he owns up to this lapse in judgment and chooses to reimburse me instead of trying to dispute the obvious (I mean look at the pics) but that’s up to him. Enough said. I wish everyone health, happiness and most of all - plenty of time to play guitar! Peace :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
Yikes, man! That is rough. I can only imagine what you must've felt opening the case the first time and seeing all that. Horrible. I hope it all works out for you and you get refunded. Keep us posted...

beneharris

Reaction score
That's too bad. Sorry to hear all that. :mad: I suppose its fitting some of those pictures were taken over the toilet.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Man, compared to the other ones, this looks like a practice guitar or a Chinese knockoff. :noplease:

Have you reached out to him directly?

dragonbiscuit

G.A.S. Therapist
Reaction score
Yikes, man! That is rough. I can only imagine what you must've felt opening the case the first time and seeing all that. Horrible. I hope it all works out for you and you get refunded. Keep us posted...

It actually took a bit for me to realize the extent of the situation b/c I had planned to sell it upon receipt in order to raise funds for an antique strat that popped up. So I didn't look closely enough until already in the process of selling it. I silently backed away from that endeavor in utter humiliation and feeling like an idiot...

Neilzord

.Metal.
Reaction score
Dude that sucks. That's literally terrible :(

I want to know what he has to say for himself as that's just awful. The alignment of the string anchors makes me sick.

Ethericlaas?

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
Holy crap. No way I would put up with the amount of defect on that guitar. I thought these things were top end.

dragonbiscuit

G.A.S. Therapist
Reaction score
What's he said about the whole thing?

Expressed surprise and concern after seeing my post on the other thread asking why I hadn't contacted him (which I did). He also mentioned knowing about and repairing one of the breaks. That's it so far.

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
Looks like the pores weren't even attempted to be filled. Looks like Mahog right?

IMG_3404_zpsc63a5204.jpg

jamesfarrell

Use to Djent
Reaction score
Man I'm pissed off and this isn't even my guitar. I deal with this sh|t all the time with guitars on Ebay. They take deceptive photographs, then I ask for detailed photos and they tell me "The guitar is brand new"

IDGAF if it's new or used. Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's not full of flaws. I'd get paypal involved and get a refund, if that's how it was paid for. I'll say it here and now. I don't know how the other guitars he makes are, but based on this, I am going to say that this guy is a hack and has no business building guitars.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
Wow that is just straight terrible! some of those flaws you wouldn't catch on a 50$ chinese ripoff.

I hope you get it all sorted.

ClaasGuitars

Reaction score
Hello,

I am Alexander Claas and I definitely do not want to start any fighting in this thread so this is my one and only comment on this topic. I do not want to sound rude, I just think I got the right to write, how I see the things.

Dragonbiscuit got his guitar for 2500€ including case and shipping in November from me and I almost got an heart attack, when I read his comment. I directly send him an e-mail.
I never heard from him since I shipped the guitar until today, when he awnswered on my email.
He writes in this post, that he tried to contact me, but I allegedly did not reply:
We exchanged 29 e-mails during the building and since then I did not get any message from him. Also not on any other way like SSO, Facebook or phone call.
The ones who already talked to me, know that I always try to answer in a short amount of time.

I never had problems with any of my clients and if he would have just said anything after he got the guitar, I would have done anything I could to make things right. But I only saw this post this morning, almost three months later, and did absolutely not know what happened.

I offered him to send me the guitar and I will look over and fix things for free.

As I said, I do not want to fight, because that would not be appropriate in this forum, and everybody can have their opinion.
I only want you all to please look up other posts and forums, Facebook e.g. for information about me and my work. Talk to other clients and and please talk to me! I am happy to have a phone call to anybody who is interested but has some
concerns now or is not sure what to think. I am always open to ideas and also to
constructive criticisms. But I only can repeat, that I have to know if there is something wrong, otherwise I cannot act.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Do you really expect people to believe that you were unaware of those issues ? Butchered fret tangs, crooked inserts and unfilled wood pores under the finish don't just appear like that during the shipping (and nuts don't disappear either)...you let the guitar leave the shop with those issues. If the guitar had only arrived with issues that are likely to happen during shipping (like breaks in the wood) I wouldn't blame you but come on, most of those issues just scream "this wasn't quality-checked". I'll never understand how builders think they can get away with this. I don't care how you justify or apologize, you let that guitar leave your shop in a pathetic condition. Don't expect people NOT to think you're shady after that. If you had quality-checked this (and cared about it) you would never have shipped this guitar like that.

mniel8195

Reaction score
Alexander lets just cut to the chase. Your full of shit! Look at how horrible this guitar turned out! How can you even defend this work? Your a joke and you should return this poor mans money.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
I'll take a less aggressive stance than the last two posters and say that a lack of complaint from a customer doesn't mean a product is free of defects, or that defects are unimportant if the customer does not complain. Further, if a job is not done right the first time, it would be unwise to send the product back to the same person for a second attempt at the same job.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
Alexander lets just cut to the chase. Your full of shit! Look at how horrible this guitar turned out! How can you even defend this work? Your a joke and you should return this poor mans money.

Legit problems or not, this is completely unhelpful :noway:

dragonbiscuit

G.A.S. Therapist
Reaction score
Unfortunately it was bank wire to Germany. Learn from my mistake folks
Man I'm pissed off and this isn't even my guitar. I deal with this sh|t all the time with guitars on Ebay. They take deceptive photographs, then I ask for detailed photos and they tell me "The guitar is brand new"

IDGAF if it's new or used. Just because something is new, doesn't mean it's not full of flaws. I'd get paypal involved and get a refund, if that's how it was paid for. I'll say it here and now. I don't know how the other guitars he makes are, but based on this, I am going to say that this guy is a hack and has no business building guitars.

')