Classic-looking 7 string; clear-sounding neck pickup

• Thread starter plf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
On the contrary that makes it perfect for jazz, as it remains clear while you roll off the highs with the volume and tone pots.
Exactly. When you roll the treble back, it mellows out but stays articulate instead of turning into mud.

Reactions: plf

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thorgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was looking for a similar pickup for my main 7 string, had good luck with the Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro 7 string; Dimarzio PAF 7 is a decent one as well, I ended up settling on the Fishman Fluence Javier Reyes set.

Was also considering the SD Jazz or 59, Dimarzio Ionizer, SD/Benedetto B7, and the Lollar Imperial/El Rayo both of which they make in 7 string; to be honest though the Javier Reyes Fluence set killed any desire for me to experiment any further.

plf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, all. Thanks for the advice! This has been super helpful

So, the ARZ307 I ordered on Reverb fell through, and I wound up getting the cheapest 7 string I could find-- a Jackson 22-7 Dinky-- to test the waters. I was pretty surprised at how solid this thing is for a $200 guitar. Surprisingly good fretwork. I can't really say anything bad about the guitar, other than a tall nut (to be expected) and uninspiring pickups (for my admittedly unusual use case.)

I wound up deciding not to keep it. The extra low notes and increased range in one position were great, but it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't be able to hit the E string with my thumb, which I do a lot. So the 7 opened up some new arrangement possibilities, but meant I would have to rework all of my existing arrangements. So, with that in mind, I'm looking into baritones now, and trying to get my RH artificial harmonics good enough to effectively add an octave to my reach... The quest continues.

Sparky8691

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hmm...if you like the idea of a 6 string baritone this one would be good to check out: https://www.schecterguitars.com/PT-EX?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=1100

I reckon that's still a classy looking guitar - understated colour and classic block inlays - but it wouldn't look out of place in the hands of a metal guitarist either. Schecter's in house USA pickups sound great, the set in that one should cover pretty much anything. 5 way switch too, doesn't say exactly what each position is but Schecter would probably reply if you emailed to ask. I believe on those switches it's bridge humbucker / both inner coils / both humbuckers / neck humbucker in parallel mode / neck humbucker. Could be wrong though. You have pretty decent specs on that too, stainless steel frets, locking tuners etc.

plf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hmm...if you like the idea of a 6 string baritone this one would be good to check out: https://www.schecterguitars.com/PT-EX?quantity=1&custitem_color_master_list=1100

I reckon that's still a classy looking guitar - understated colour and classic block inlays - but it wouldn't look out of place in the hands of a metal guitarist either. Schecter's in house USA pickups sound great, the set in that one should cover pretty much anything. 5 way switch too, doesn't say exactly what each position is but Schecter would probably reply if you emailed to ask. I believe on those switches it's bridge humbucker / both inner coils / both humbuckers / neck humbucker in parallel mode / neck humbucker. Could be wrong though. You have pretty decent specs on that too, stainless steel frets, locking tuners etc.
That looks great. It's down to something like that or a parts tele with a Subsonic neck. Tele world is where I feel comfiest, so it's nice to know that there are a few options

7stringDemon

Reaction score
That looks great. It's down to something like that or a parts tele with a Subsonic neck. Tele world is where I feel comfiest, so it's nice to know that there are a few options

Tele with the baritone neck is a killer choice. Bonus points for a Thinline Tele.

The sub sonic necks are great. Every bit as good as any Mexican player series neck. I almost got one, but went with a Warmoth instead for the longer 28.625” scale length.

')