Classical players that also multi-finger tap

• Thread starter LI3G3KILL3R
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LI3G3KILL3R

Reaction score
So I'm a classical player for which I'm getting a degree but in my off time I play as much 7s as possible. I've been getting more and more into advanced tapping techniques but feel extremely limited in my ability to multi-finger-tap because of my right hand nails. I have shaped my nails in such a way to accommodate, as best as I can, tapping with the right hand. Does anyone else have this issue? And because of my nails I tap by pulling off upwards. Is this method uncommon? I mostly see players pulling off downwards. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

:metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

zak

Reaction score
I find if you keep your nails at a moderate length (mine aren't haha), and you flatten your approach so that your finger is almost flat on the string. The nails don't get too much in the way and you can pull off normally. But try it and see for yourself!!!!

shredfiend

Reaction score
My nails on IMA aren't very long. They work better for me that way, and they are ramped a little bit(Like Pumping Nylon describes). But my thumb nail is very long......almost freakishly long. Just what works for me....to get the right attack given the angle of my hand. To get the flesh and nail to hit at the same time my thumb nail had to grow out quite a bit.

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a long-standing issue for me (I'm in the same boat with a music degree as a classical guitarist and long term love of 8 finger tapping.)

I keep my nails as short as I can get away with, but I also prefer to tap on instruments with the tallest frets I can find. This makes a huge difference in comfort and being able to use the same tapping technique with both hands - and not have to flatten my right hand fingers too much.

If your frets are not very tall a different guitar or an investment in a re-fret with super jumbo frets may be worthwhile.

This company makes huge frets:
http://www.sintoms.infonet.by/FretsProduction.htm

Also consider stainless steel frets for their lack of wear.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
This is a long-standing issue for me (I'm in the same boat with a music degree as a classical guitarist and long term love of 8 finger tapping.)

I keep my nails as short as I can get away with, but I also prefer to tap on instruments with the tallest frets I can find. This makes a huge difference in comfort and being able to use the same tapping technique with both hands - and not have to flatten my right hand fingers too much.

If your frets are not very tall a different guitar or an investment in a re-fret with super jumbo frets may be worthwhile.

This company makes huge frets:
http://www.sintoms.infonet.by/FretsProduction.htm

Also consider stainless steel frets for their lack of wear.

:agreed: Good advice all round. Interestingly, this came up on Chris Broderick's board a while ago, when someone asked him how he deals with performing his eight-finger electric stuff, and still keeping his nails for classical guitar. He said he's started using these fingerpicks which are designed to simulate the sound and feel of your real nails, so he could have totally bare fingers for the electric and still perform on the classical. Unfortunately I can't remember what they were called, or I'd link to the site for you.:(

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
^ well no you can't because fake nails are glued on and not easily removable. The point is to be able to do 8 finger tapping and classical fingerpicking any time.

Unless you know some kind of fake nails that aren't glued on; I may well be years behind the times in my knowledge of fake nails:lol: