clear finish over acrylic

• Thread starter awjb68
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

awjb68

Reaction score
Hi,

I am currently building a new guitar and am putting acrylic paint on the body. What product should I use for a clear finish that will protect the acrylic paint work and provide I nice glassy top coat?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
You have a lot of clear coat options, actually. Once it is cured, acrylic/latex paint is pretty inert. I've even sprayed nitro lacquer over latex.

Is this paint layer smooth, or is there a lot of texture to it (i.e. you painted a picture on the guitar). If there is a lot of texture, pretty much your only option to get a mirror gloss is epoxy.

awjb68

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That is good to know.

I am blending paints to get an effect that's hard to describe. It is the paint in combination with this product called floetrol and when you add the different colors together they form cells. The end result means there's a very small amount of texture. So the paint is poured onto the guitar body and then you use a straw to blow here and there on the surface to create effects similar to what's shown on the following facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1203742323082084/

I am curious as to how to add epoxy to the surface. I can imagine it would be hard working over the three dimensions and keeping it even. Are you able to recommend a procedure to do this as well as which specific product to use?

Thanks again

karnivorus

Reaction score
Automotive urethane clear goes on pretty much anything. Just spray it thick enough until you don't see the texture of the paint on the surface. 3 or for 4 coats should do it.

Never heard of people using epoxy on guitars.

awjb68

Reaction score
will the automotive urethane produce a hardened, glasslike appearance finish?

karnivorus

Reaction score
will the automotive urethane produce a hardened, glasslike appearance finish?
Yes its the stuff guitar companies use. Its also called 2k clear , it comes in various sheens from matte to high gloss.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
"flow painting". I've done some of that myself. Very cool stuff.

I've finished a guitar with epoxy but, yes, it is difficult to get even coverage on a 3d surface. Lots of sanding involved. Using it as a clear coat isn't very common though it is often used as a base layer in factories. I like it because it's less bad for you and I'm paranoid about that stuff.

awjb68

Reaction score
Hi,

>>"flow painting". I've done some of that myself. Very cool stuff.
- yeah it is cool stuff for sure.

>>I've finished a guitar with epoxy but, yes, it is difficult to get even coverage on a 3d surface. Lots of sanding involved.
- Sounds like it's possible but alot of work.

>>I like it because it's less bad for you and I'm paranoid about that stuff.
I get what you're saying. Someone I knew recently passed away from COPD - a very cruel way to go indeed.

However, I'm one and done with this guitar project, so I will apply all the protection I can and leave it at that.

awjb68

Reaction score
So I have just finished the artwork on the back of the guitar body and it looks awesome. However I the paint drips around the side (which is good) and underneath on the top of the body (which is very bad).

I cleaned that mess up and reprimed and base coated the top of the body and am now preparing to repeat the process.

The question is, do you have any tips for keeping the paint from running over the work that i have already done? I was thinking vaseline or some pasty substance that would not react with the paint but create a border that the paint couldn't crossover. and then when fined could simply wipe away.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Never tried petroleum jelly. It might work, but it might mess with the paint that's already there, so at the very least, try it on a test piece first. I always mask off with painter's tape. You do have to make sure to get the tape really tight so that nothing gets under it, but when used properly, it tends to work... properly. :lol:

awjb68

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
In the end I decided to embrace the chaos and let the paint do as it will. Turns out there's only a little touchup up to do on the back.

Here it is without the clear coat.

Attachments

• guitar.jpg
    guitar.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 10
')