Clearing out the herd, a good idea?

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Well, this month I've just been thinking about letting the 540s7 go, it's again, not that I don't like it, but just never really play it at all, if anything, it's all about the old UV's for me, and nothing else pretty much gets touched anywhere near as much. So, the question is, is it worth keeping something you don't really ever play? I like the guitar, i fixed it up, rewired it, put a good switch in it etc etc, and it sounds good, slight rocky vibe to it, but I just never touch it.

So should it be moved on, or should I just make a concerted effort to play it more and pick it up on a regular basis?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a wall full of guitars I almost never play (and more stuck away in cases somewhere), since starting my Masters. It might not be the most rational decision but I have no intent to rid myself of any of them right now. They're like old friends that don't owe you any money and are always there when you need them. :lol:

Hell, if anything I plan to add more to the collection. :yesway:

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
Nope, no sentimental value really, if anything, the UV's and the LACS and a beat up RG have the most sentimental value to them, this one I've never properly bonded with, even though I do like it.

I think I am going through a weird phase of thinking of ditching a load of stuff! :lol:

Shorty

Guitar Buying Frenzy!
Contributor
Reaction score
if you have no sentimental attachment, let her go. I got rid of my Giger RG for the same reason. Just never really bonded with it and the ESP Standard Horizon I got in trade + LCD monitor more than made up for it (and wow, have I bonded with that horizon!).

D

Desecrated

I sold away my collection 2 years ago, it's very refreshing to just own 1-2 guitars.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with selling something rare like a 540S7 is that if you change your mind down the road, it'll be difficult to find another one. In other words, I'd think long and hard before selling it.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Once I started thinking about a guitar like this, I am never able to stop myself from selling it. If you don't like it, you don't like it, and you probably won't ever like it. I say get rid of it.

7 Strings of Hate

Mid-Level Asshole
Contributor
Reaction score
who really gives a shit if its rare, if you were a collector, then awesome, but as a player, theres nothing unique about that guitar that you cant get in a newer model s(7420 or 7320), if you buy guitars for investments,keep the guitar, if you buy guitars for playing, sell the thing

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
i've been thinking the same thing. i've got my RG570RM that i used to play the hell out of. now, i only really play my RG7620 Of Doom and the XV500. the RG570RM NEVER gets played anymore, but it was the first guitar i ever bought myself. but then, i never play the fucking thing :lol:

i think i need to sell it. the thing is, if i want to replace it, RG570's aren't hard to come by. if you sell the 540S7 (to me), then it will be harder to replace, as mentioned already.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
it's a nice fucking guitar, that's why :D

but yeah, keep the 540S7, sell the 5150 :yesway:

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
keep it.
6 months down the road from now you may find that you are glad you kept it.
I know what you mean though, I wish Istill had my Loomis and my 7620, but if I still
had them right now they would just be sitting in their cases.

D

Desecrated

who really gives a shit if its rare, if you were a collector, then awesome, but as a player, theres nothing unique about that guitar that you cant get in a newer model s(7420 or 7320), if you buy guitars for investments,keep the guitar, if you buy guitars for playing, sell the thing

+1

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't play it and have no attachment to it sell it. If you think you'll miss it, keep it. The only guitar I really play now is my seven but I can't bring myself to the point where I'd sell my Epiphone. It's nowhere near as nice as the 7420 but I know I would regret it if I let it go to pick up another fixed bridge sixer.

I am looking for a 540S7 too:squint:

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't sell it. It's definitely one of those super rare machines that you'd regret selling down the road.

That being said, I have an alert on ebay to notify me whenever the term 5407 shows up. So yeah. I'll stand in the line to buy it if you end up selling it.

')