Clearing out the herd, a good idea?

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
...or should I just make a concerted effort to play it more and pick it up on a regular basis?

Do this for a month or two, and see if your thoughts change about it.

If they don't, if the finish is a bit beat, sell it to me and I'll strip it bare mahogany.* :agreed:

*assuming I can afford it after the assfucking VAT does to the cost of guitars imported into the UK. :/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Drew has a good idea... play it for some time.. and .. if nothing changes... Just sell it

Ryan

Reaction score
Here's what you should do: Try to inspire yourself with that guitar again by watching some cool vids with S models er something like that. Because what might happen is, after you sell it, you're going to see or hear something that will make you wish you hadn't. An S with a Lo-Pro7 and a HSS config isn't going to be released again you know. So for as much as you spent on it, I'd say give it a proper chance and try to like it before you drop it. I know what you're going through. I'm already thinking of selling my 2127X for a JP7. :/

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Here's what you should do: Try to inspire yourself with that guitar again by watching some cool vids with S models er something like that. Because what might happen is, after you sell it, you're going to see or hear something that will make you wish you hadn't. An S with a Lo-Pro7 and a HSS config isn't going to be released again you know. So for as much as you spent on it, I'd say give it a proper chance and try to like it before you drop it. I know what you're going through. I'm already thinking of selling my 2127X for a JP7. :/

Sell that to me also! :idea:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you do decide to sell it, you know how much I want that guitar. I'll even let you borrow it if you feel the need for a blast now and again :D

Hands off you bastards, I'm first in line! :squint:

No you ain't, I got in there weeks ago! About the same time as I borrowed his 5150 in fact. :fawk:

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a wall full of guitars I almost never play (and more stuck away in cases somewhere), since starting my Masters. It might not be the most rational decision but I have no intent to rid myself of any of them right now. They're like old friends that don't owe you any money and are always there when you need them. :lol:

Hell, if anything I plan to add more to the collection. :yesway:

I agree with Big555. Just keep the collection. I always hate myself when I start to miss the one that I sold! Keep them!:yesway:

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
If you do decide to sell it, you know how much I want that guitar. I'll even let you borrow it if you feel the need for a blast now and again :D

No you ain't, I got in there weeks ago! About the same time as I borrowed his 5150 in fact. :fawk:

I called dibs when I found out what he was getting from the states, mate. :fawk:

I hear you don't reply to drunken metal texts anymore. :squint:

Makelele

Reaction score
who really gives a shit if its rare, if you were a collector, then awesome, but as a player, theres nothing unique about that guitar that you cant get in a newer model s(7420 or 7320), if you buy guitars for investments,keep the guitar, if you buy guitars for playing, sell the thing

You can't get the HSS pickup configuration on the newer S7 models, and the guitar is also from the time when Ibanez made some of their best guitars ever, so I'd doubt you get the same quality in a newer S either.

+ the trem of course. Lo-trs isn't exactly the same quality as the Lo-pro.

Leec

Woopah!
Contributor
Reaction score
S7 with LoPro: it's a keeper for sure. Like you said, use it for a different tuning. It can be your 'jam along' guitar in standard, or use a more whacked out tuning. It's got a pretty versatile sound and config.

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
Guitars are meant to be played. If you've found others that get all the attention, sell off the ones that aren't getting said attention. Otherwise, you just being more of a pack rat. ;)

Matt Crooks

User
Contributor
Reaction score
7DT - I was in the same situation with the Jackson DW. It was one of a kind, the first one made, blah blah blah. I never bonded with it. I tried playing it. I tried different tunings. I just never bonded with it. It took a while to decided to sell it, but I'm glad I did. I can put that money to use on other things, and the DW is getting played (right James?) That gutiar was too awesome to just have sit in the case 364 days a year.

I think you should sell the guitar and move on. It's clearly not "the one" for you.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Guitars are meant to be played. If you've found others that get all the attention, sell off the ones that aren't getting said attention. Otherwise, you just being more of a pack rat. ;)

:agreed: Collections are worthless. You're a player, not a collector.

ibznorange

Chief Officer/RHLC ©
Contributor
Reaction score
if there is no attachment, id say sell it
only catch is that the 540s7 is so rare, as chris said you could have a really hard time replacing it later

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
if there is no attachment, id say sell it
only catch is that the 540s7 is so rare, as chris said you could have a really hard time replacing it later

...unless he sold it to me. In which case he would know where I live when he shipped it to me. :lol: :D

Shannon

Lord Super Awesome
Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed: Collections are worthless. You're a player, not a collector.
Drew, you've just stumbled onto the mantra of the gearwhore. :lol:
[action=Shannon]knows this mantra well.[/action]

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
this thread reminds me of a DC727 thread.. :lol:

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
I sold away my collection 2 years ago, it's very refreshing to just own 1-2 guitars.

+1 going to have to agree here... with as many guitars as I've owned, I really like only having a couple, maybe a few around at a time. Limitations can be the best inspiration, sometimes.

')