Clearing out the herd, a good idea?

• Thread starter 7 Dying Trees
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
I just spent a week recording with this guitar, and bonded with it rather well :lol:

halsinden

it's a british thing
Reaction score
I just spent a week recording with this guitar, and bonded with it rather well :lol:

if by “bonding” you mean that awkward grunting easily audible through your floorboards, the ceiling nearly falling onto me & beth and the household supply of baby oil suddenly diminishing, then…

H

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
I'm another on the "sell" pile, I've recently come to find myself only really playing my H7, so I've dropped from 9 axes to 4 in about 4 months, and I'm still trying to shift my two 6 string V's

Aled Smith

Reaction score
i have a few im keeping for now which i never play, my fender Jag-stang never gets played. im thinking of keeping it because its rare, but the S7 isnt really rare, personally id go for an old UV

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
S7's aren't rare, but a 540S7. And that's the reason he's thinking it, because he always plays his old UV's.

supertruper1988

Reaction score
Since you dont play it alot but it is so rare i would say keep it under your bed for about six months or long enough to forget you have it and then when you stumble upon it you will be inspired to write some new stuff on it and if its in a different tuning than the rest of your guitars then it could be refreshing to hear something with a different tonality :yesway:

Lethe

Reaction score
I think I am going through a weird phase of thinking of ditching a load of stuff! :lol:

I think I know the feeling. Sometimes so much crap has stacked up around you, it feels like you have to get rid of some of it. What I do then is clean out my apartment, keeping only the stuff that I really need or that's of importance to me. Sometimes in such a phase I tend to ditch the girl I'm with at the time aswell. :lol: When I'm done, it feels a lot better and I promise to myself to keep things simple in the future. I never do.

How do they say? The things you own end up owning you. :rolleyes:

7 Dying Trees

Forum MVP
Reaction score
7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
i have a few im keeping for now which i never play, my fender Jag-stang never gets played. im thinking of keeping it because its rare, but the S7 isnt really rare, personally id go for an old UV
I have the old UV's, and this is one of the 540s7's which are less than 500 or so, it's a nice guitar, neck is reminiscent of the old uv's I have, and it sounds good.

It's just that I pretty much only really play the old uv pwh I got a while back, and love that above pretty much everything else, despite it now having microphonic pickups :lol:

I am in no rush to make up my mind, but it kind of seems silly having it at times, but then at the same time I've never given it a proper run...

I think the wait a few months and see is a good idea really...!

Lethe

Reaction score
Also, you might want to try this:

Remove all guitars from the room you're normally playing in except for the 540. Use it exclusively for a week or two, pretend it's the only guitar you own and everything you want to play has to be played on it.

After that, return the other guitars and see what happens. If you return to your old habit of not playing it, either put her in a nice display or let her go. Putting her into a display might tease you into playing her at some later point, because you walk by every day, so there might be a happy ending after all.

The downside to it is that even though it's a rare and very nice axe, it doesn't look like much so you might get some weird looks when putting her in a display.

But it's all for the greater good.
THE GREATER GOOD!

:lol:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nope, no sentimental value really.

Case closed IMO. If you're not playing it, and it has no sentimental value, why bother? It's not like you're a rich dude who couldn't use cash to put towards other things.

I would most definitely sell it if you aren't playing it. It's cool to have 'stuff' for the sake of having it, but if it's not being used or appreciated it seems hollow. I consolidated my collection (down to 3 now) because I felt silly having guitars I couldn't use with the band or at least play regularly. No regrets here.

MatthewK

Reaction score
I sort of regret selling the RG7620 I had. Bought it new from the store a few years ago... can't really get a new RG7620 anymore :/

InTheRavensName

Dog says yes ^.^ Yes
Reaction score
Case closed IMO. If you're not playing it, and it has no sentimental value, why bother? It's not like you're a rich dude who couldn't use cash to put towards other things.

I would most definitely sell it if you aren't playing it. It's cool to have 'stuff' for the sake of having it, but if it's not being used or appreciated it seems hollow. I consolidated my collection (down to 3 now) because I felt silly having guitars I couldn't use with the band or at least play regularly. No regrets here.

down to three Ricos... :squint:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Once I started thinking about a guitar like this, I am never able to stop myself from selling it. If you don't like it, you don't like it, and you probably won't ever like it. I say get rid of it.

I'm just like you. If you have that feeling, you're never gonna get rid of it. I mean, you'll miss the guitar, but if you haven't sold it, you wouldn't play it anyway. So what if it's a rare guitar? What's the point of having rare guitars that you don't play?

I never completely liked my Ibanez S7420FM (because thin necks crample my hands) and even all my friends tell me that I shouldn't sell it, I don't care...

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
I'm just like you. If you have that feeling, you're never gonna get rid of it. I mean, you'll miss the guitar, but if you haven't sold it, you wouldn't play it anyway. So what if it's a rare guitar? What's the point of having rare guitars that you don't play?

I never completely liked my Ibanez S7420FM (because thin necks crample my hands) and even all my friends tell me that I shouldn't sell it, I don't care...

:squint:

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a wall full of guitars I almost never play (and more stuck away in cases somewhere), since starting my Masters. It might not be the most rational decision but I have no intent to rid myself of any of them right now. They're like old friends that don't owe you any money and are always there when you need them. :lol:

Hell, if anything I plan to add more to the collection. :yesway:

:agreed::yesway:

')