Close call - I almost crashed my car head on

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
So long story short, I was driving my car (duh) in the freeway and I was about 60 mph. There was 3 lanes and I was in the middle one. So there was an exit that was jammed and blocked the right lane (exit) and the middle lane (because stupid people decide to exit right on the fucking turn and stop their cars fucking perpendicular to the damn road). So I'm driving, music, talking to my mom (shotgun) and I was coming close to that exit, when all of a sudden a fucking, out of his/her mind, person (that was probably sleeping or fucking high or something) realizes that it's kinda too fucking late to get that exit since the car is on the other side of the damn road, so the most reasonable thing to do is... Yes, you're right... turn your car to the right (aka, throw your car into all the other cars driving on the other lanes).

So, I spot the asshole going from far left to far right in a split second, and at the same time the guy in front of me slammed the brakes, locking the tires instantly. When I didn't even start THINKING about opening my mouth to say "Oh shit", my foot was already half-way down the brake pedal and my arms beginning to turn the steering wheel to the left... It all happened in like 2 seconds. It was so fast (remember I was at like 60 - 65 mph). When I passed the car finishing the "-hit" part of the sentence all I heard was a bunch of tire screeching and one huge thud. I guess someone else wasn't lucky enough as me.

I was fucking shaking, the adrenaline was fucking everywhere... That was the fastest reflex I ever had in my entire life... After I sat home and ate some cold pizza (Corbretti style) I realized:

1- I could have died, including my parents.

2- Thank god ABS really works.

3- Stairway to Heaven was playing on the radio at the moment (I'm not kidding at all) :ugh:

4- Should have said "Holy motherfucking shit" instead

5- NOW I know how americans manage to crash everyday in flat, straight, 5+ lane freeways. Every day.

So, here I am.. Alive, watching nothing more, nothing less, than my personal hero's tv show: Bear-fucking-Grylls

PS: New bear gryls show coming up in may, "worst case scenario" FUCK YES YES YES!!! :metal:

Sorry for:

1- The long read! Just felt that I needed to share this near death (possibly) experience.
2- Murdering all english grammar rules in existence
3- Any typos.
4- Excessive use of lists :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

emperor_black

Reaction score
Wow. Yeah, that sort of happened to me, but no one cut me off. Like you were saying, the lane leading to the exit was jam packed and so someone decides to block a fast moving lane in an attempt to merge to that lane. Almost hit that person. Stupid people!!

BTW, Bear Grylls is awesome. But I like the other guy Les stroud better. The survivorman guy. Damn! I miss watching Animal planet.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Jesus Christ! I'm glad you're alive O_O

Had a friend almost get herself killed just 10 minutes ago -__- but she sucks at driving and it's snowing like an asshole over here.

m3ta1head

Contributor
Reaction score
Happens pretty much everyday in LA....that's what you get when everyone is coked out their fucking minds

glad to hear you are OK though :yesway:

Reaction score
Hey I'm watching Bear too :wub:
but sadly drivers like that are everywhere, and I'm really not trying to instigate anything here, but....has anyone ever noticed that you never see 2 guys in a wreck? It's always a woman yelling at her husband on her phone and a guy who doesn't give a shit...or 2 women yelling at their husbands on the phone.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
christ! no-one likes a close call! that sounded really intense... what was the "thud" caused by? was it indeed another car that smashed into it? was it wrecked to all fuck? were people hurt?

i think it's funny to think about how easy it is to kill with a car, and how incredibly often people get killed by cars (every day, in large numbers), yet it's such a normal everyday thing, and people take it so lightly and don't really think about it.

and those highways you guys have are really scary. you lose the sensation of speed when you're on them, yet you're going faster than all hell on them. then there are many lanes, and you can change between them. then there are confusing signs and misunderstandings that make people lose their turns, and when they realize that they're about to miss it, they do drastic things, because they'll have to drive for another eternity and a half to get there, because there are no other ways to get there. this is a pretty bad problem in highways. if you miss your turn, you sorta have to ride it out for a long time, before reaching a place where you can turn around and go the other way for another long drive.

BTW, Bear Grylls is awesome. But I like the other guy Les stroud better. The survivorman guy. Damn! I miss watching Animal planet.

YES! that guy is for real. bear grylls is illustrating the worst that can happen, and it's all examples and possible scenarios, and it's always super-urgent. it's just unrealistic. that Les guy, however is really awesome. i saw an episode where he was going to try himself on the south pole with only a few supplies etc. he was actually alone, and had to set up the cameras and stuff himself. they left in alot of footage of him coming back to pick up the cameras after filming himself walking away, and he talked about how tiring the whole ordeal was with the cameras. that show is self-concious, and it's realistic. the guy was never really in trouble. he talked about what could've happened, but it never did. he just made it work using ingenuity instead of just having tons of supplies.

he doesn't eat everything that crawls (or used to crawl) though, so that's one reason to look at bear grylls hahaha! :lol:

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Nice to hear the ABS pulled you through. I don't even have ABS and there is only one airbag in my car (most cars now have 4 at an absolute minimum, and some have like 7 or 8). Nothing but grit and skill keeping me alive, I've had to do some evasive moves in the past.

The thing that annoys me most on motorways (highways) is people who breeze along at the speed limit, blocking the view ahead, drive right up to a hazard and slam their brakes on, nearly causing you to smash into the back of them, rather than just anticipating the hazard and slowing down gently.

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
christ! no-one likes a close call! that sounded really intense... what was the "thud" caused by? was it indeed another car that smashed into it? was it wrecked to all fuck? were people hurt?

It was surely a crash alright. I have no idea how bad it was, because I couldn't see through the mirrors and, frankly, I was in "survival mode" at that point and couldn't give a rat's ass about anything else but the road.

YES! that guy is for real. bear grylls is illustrating the worst that can happen, and it's all examples and possible scenarios, and it's always super-urgent. it's just unrealistic. that Les guy, however is really awesome. i saw an episode where he was going to try himself on the south pole with only a few supplies etc. he was actually alone, and had to set up the cameras and stuff himself. they left in alot of footage of him coming back to pick up the cameras after filming himself walking away, and he talked about how tiring the whole ordeal was with the cameras. that show is self-concious, and it's realistic. the guy was never really in trouble. he talked about what could've happened, but it never did. he just made it work using ingenuity instead of just having tons of supplies.

he doesn't eat everything that crawls (or used to crawl) though, so that's one reason to look at bear grylls hahaha! :lol:

I always get that. The thing is that the two shows are completely different. Bear shows stuff that could happen if you get lost somewhere and how to circumvent them. Stroud packs his shit and goes off to some random location to spend 7 days alone, simulating a lost occasional tourist or whatever... They are both awesome, but I like Bear's personality the most, he's fucking Rambo dude hahahah, SAS and shit!

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
i hate to sound like a dick, but this happens to me at least once a month up here in Michigan. In Drivers Ed., they teach you how to swerve and monitor your corners subconsciously all the time so you are prepared to make that maneuver. I have been in that situation multiple times, usually around 70-80 miles per hour. I guess you are lucky that you live in an area that has significantly safer drivers and don't have to deal with that kind of bullshit all the time.

Glad you are OK. stay safe. :cheers:

EDIt

Bear Grylls = GOD

Reaction score
One of my mates just wrapped his car around a tree. Well, 3. Went through the first 2 and the 3rd stopped him. Was presumed dead when services arrived but walked away with a few cuts to his face. His car is barely recognisable.. if he'd have been wearing his seatbelt then he'd have been crushed.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear you're ok! Did the crash make the news?

60mph isn't slow - 80mph is 135km/h, and the fastest regular highway speed I'll personally drive is 130km/h if traffic is really moving

13point9

Now with Less Hair!
Reaction score
Glad you're ok man trust noone on the roads lol

Ive always been more of a Ray Mears than Bear person myself, Ray seems more genuine...

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
One of my mates just wrapped his car around a tree. Well, 3. Went through the first 2 and the 3rd stopped him. Was presumed dead when services arrived but walked away with a few cuts to his face. His car is barely recognisable.. if he'd have been wearing his seatbelt then he'd have been crushed.

So not wearing his seatbelt saved him? Surely if he hadn't been wearing it, he'd have ended up headfirst in the first tree he hit :scratch:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
Glad you're safe. I've had a few similar close calls. I swallow my heart every damn time.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Fucking crazy. I know what you mean about fast reflexes taking over - My story is nowhere near as crazy as yours :lol: But the other night I was driving out of a carpark and just stopped in the middle of nowhere for a moment to sort something out. Next thing I know I see some ass reversing about to hit the back side of my car in no more than 2 seconds. I was fiddling with shit, my feet weren't even on the pedals and my handbrake was on, but I was away in no time at all, and I'm usually pretty bad at pulling away :lol: Granted I shouldn't have stopped there, but I was there plenty of time for him to have seen me.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
So not wearing his seatbelt saved him? Surely if he hadn't been wearing it, he'd have ended up headfirst in the first tree he hit :scratch:

It all depends on the situation. I've had a few friends who only survived their crashes because they weren't wearing their seat belts, and were thrown from the car before the worst point of impact, usually landing mostly-safe several yards away.

It can go either way, really. Seat belts can be a life saver in MOST situations, but there are some situations in which they can actually be the life ender. Regardless, just about any EMT will tell you you're better off with it than without it.

Necky379

Reaction score
abs kicks ass. i drive a bronco without abs, had an f-250 without abs and a yota pickup without abs. the only time i ever rear ended (or been in an accident for that matter) anybody i was driving a bmw with abs :lol: . but ive had some big close calls because i dont have abs. last week i was coming home from work in a snowstorm and almost got hit by an 18 wheeler because i couldnt stop coming down a hill to an intersection. i ended up just cranking the wheel, put it to the floor, spun the ass end around and hopped the curb into a mound of plowed snow to stop. glad your okay :yesway: .

it's kind of a nice feeling afterwards knowing you're capable of reacting that fast and making quick effective descisions with an adrenaline rush isn't it?

estabon37

Melodica Attack!
Reaction score
Close call dude, not a fun experience by the sound of things.

The town I live in has only recently had an internal bypass put through it as part of the highway connecting Melbourne and Sydney (about two years ago). Unfortunately, most of the people who live in this town either have never lived in a city (like me), or have zero experience driving in a city (unlike me) and are driving in 110km/h zones still doing 60km/h and driving like they're still in a paddock.

Major props to anyone who has spent a lot of time driving in a city and has maintained their sanity.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
It all depends on the situation. I've had a few friends who only survived their crashes because they weren't wearing their seat belts, and were thrown from the car before the worst point of impact, usually landing mostly-safe several yards away.

It can go either way, really. Seat belts can be a life saver in MOST situations, but there are some situations in which they can actually be the life ender. Regardless, just about any EMT will tell you you're better off with it than without it.

Not just EMTs, but statistics too. The chances of you being "thrown clear" are minimal compared to the chance of not slamming your face into the windscreen or whatever. If you are strapped to your seat you are a part of the vehicular mass to absorb an impact, but if you are not strapped in, as you decelerate, your body will absorb the maximum potential force. Hence why racing drivers just 4 or 6 point harnesses. When I change cars I will probably be getting something with Recaro racing seats and 4 point racing harness belts.

troyguitar

Reaction score
i hate to sound like a dick, but this happens to me at least once a month up here in Michigan. In Drivers Ed., they teach you how to swerve and monitor your corners subconsciously all the time so you are prepared to make that maneuver. I have been in that situation multiple times, usually around 70-80 miles per hour. I guess you are lucky that you live in an area that has significantly safer drivers and don't have to deal with that kind of bullshit all the time.

Glad you are OK. stay safe. :cheers:

Yep, that's just normal everyday driving around here. Idiots everywhere, many of them driving way over their heads.

Latest posts

')