Closed-Fist Technique Question

• Thread starter pestilentdecay
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pestilentdecay

Reaction score
I've recently tried switching from open hand technique (w/ pinky anchoring) to closed fist technique after noticing some pain in my elbow (I like to play fast palm mute runs etc.) and hearing that anchoring is generally a bad habit to get into. I've also been trying to practice wrist motion as opposed to elbow motion, and relaxing my arm.

My issue is that I find my knuckles are touching the strings when using closed fist technique, so is the middle finger, ring finger, and pinky supposed to be 'above' the index finger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm having trouble envisioning what you're describing. I use a slightly modified version of the closed fist technique... where my hand is just slightly open vs. a tight fist (I've used both over the years), but I don't anchor at all.

Can you maybe post a picture of your hand while holding a pick the way you normally do?

EcoliUVA

Not Gifted
Reaction score
I've dabbled in the "closed fist" approach, but had the same problem you're describing, and quickly went back to open palm. Relaxation is key to keeping your hand open - don't anchor (adds unnecessary tension), just let your hand rest and float. Logistically, I prefer keeping my hand open to help mute higher strings.

You can see what I'm describing on my channel, linked in my sig. Perfect? Dunno. Works for me. :shrug:

Sonic Anomaly

Sound or Music?
Reaction score
The Master:

in my opinion you don't tuck in your three last fingers all the way, you have your finger tips "pointing" downwards instead.
watch paul closely.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
I've dabbled in the "closed fist" approach, but had the same problem you're describing, and quickly went back to open palm. Relaxation is key to keeping your hand open - don't anchor (adds unnecessary tension), just let your hand rest and float. Logistically, I prefer keeping my hand open to help mute higher strings.

You can see what I'm describing on my channel, linked in my sig. Perfect? Dunno. Works for me. :shrug:

This is what I do.

I have tried playing with a closed fist, but its an epic fail:wallbash::lol:

stuglue

Reaction score
I tried the Paul Gilbert way years ago, and found it very useful but over the last 9-10 months i've found its weakness and have reverted to anchoring one finger (my pinky)
What i'm finding beneficial about anchoring is that it stops me tilting my picking hand which improves the clarity of my upstrokes as the pick isn't angled.

Secondly anchoring the pinky takes gravity off my hand and wrist, its not floating as the pinky takes all the weight off meaning instant relaxation.
I'd stick with anchoring if i were you but try and identify why and what is causing your pain.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
I do have some of the knuckle issue mentioned here (knuckles occasionally hitting the strings inadvertently), but I had to change years ago after I started developing severe pain in the big knuckle of my index finger. Years of sideways torque on that knuckle (from the thumb pushing down all the time) just took it's toll, and the pain became unbearable.

Had it not been for that, I would've stuck with the open-handed/anchoring style. I much preferred that as I always felt like I had more control over nuances and whatnot. But now, I'm forced to use a fist, as it helps support that finger better against the pressure from my thumb.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only time I've ever had pain with 'closed fist' is when I'm squeezing too hard. 'Open hand' seems to encourage less tension being transmitted through your hand, overall.

I know a few different people with tendinitis, carpal tunnel and various other afflictions, so I'm very mindful of tension in my hands/arms while playing. I use a soft 'closed fist', with the majority of the tension being assigned to just the fingers holding the pick and the rest of the fingers just staying grouped together to keep my pointer finger (which is doing the actual gripping) from being forced out of place by the pressure of the string against the pick.

I switched over to this technique about two years ago after 'open handed' anchoring my whole life up until then. I've experienced considerably less stiffness in my hand (because I'm not gripping the pick AS hard with my main fingers), better accuracy and more fluid movement. :2c:

Maniacal

Reaction score
What exactly is the benefit of playing with a closed fist?

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What exactly is the benefit of playing with a closed fist?

I use a soft 'closed fist', with the majority of the tension being assigned to just the fingers holding the pick and the rest of the fingers just staying grouped together to keep my pointer finger (which is doing the actual gripping) from being forced out of place by the pressure of the string against the pick.

I've experienced considerably less stiffness in my hand (because I'm not gripping the pick AS hard with my main fingers), better accuracy and more fluid movement. :2c:

YMMV

farren

Reaction score
Besides additional tension, maintaining a truly closed fist will also increase transition time to tapping with the middle finger. The same goes for hybrid picking (plucking) with the middle finger. I keep my fingers relaxed in a claw, finger tips pointing toward the body.

leoseanster12

Big Gojira
Reaction score
I've recently tried switching from open hand technique (w/ pinky anchoring) to closed fist technique after noticing some pain in my elbow (I like to play fast palm mute runs etc.) and hearing that anchoring is generally a bad habit to get into. I've also been trying to practice wrist motion as opposed to elbow motion, and relaxing my arm.

My issue is that I find my knuckles are touching the strings when using closed fist technique, so is the middle finger, ring finger, and pinky supposed to be 'above' the index finger?

By 'knuckle' I'm assuming the finger joint closest to your fingernails? If so, then yes, you've already answered yourself: if you find that they are hitting the strings, just consciously think about raising those three fingers away from the strings.

It WILL feel weird as hell at first, and you probably won't even play as well as you used to. Though with perseverance and a lot of good-habit-practicing (make sure when you practice it sounds good, in order to get into good habits), it'd be second nature. Good luck dude.

thebunfather

Custom Monkey
Reaction score
I've recently started to re-examine my pick hand technique. I've always anchored my pinky, but started to have trouble doing so when I started playing 8 strings. So far, the most effective and comfortable style I've tried is the "claw". Closed fist seemed to add to much tension and I'd wear out quicker. Relearning this, as well as switching from economy picking to strict alternate picking has been a daunting, albeit worthwhile, task. Start sllllllloooooooowwwww and focus on the nuances of your technique before you start shredding away. It'll definitely help build up your new "good habits".

The best advice I can give is to find what's most comfortable for you and practice, practice, practice. Best of luck, bro!

necronile

Reaction score
Nothing is wrong with anchoring your pinky,
alot of players do that and alot of them play pretty fast.

Latest posts

')