Cloverfield

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I were the only people in the cinema that didn't hate it, I thought they were going to start a riot when it finished. I don't know how anyone could think it was slow, it felt like less than half an hour had passed to me. :shrug:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

playstopause

Contributor
Reaction score
There is just slower scenes, wich feels that way because of the pace of the scenes you've seen before (ex. the subway scene.).
But overall, it's pretty fast paced.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
My wife and I were the only people in the cinema that didn't hate it, I thought they were going to start a riot when it finished. I don't know how anyone could think it was slow, it felt like less than half an hour had passed to me. :shrug:

The first 20 minutes had me intrigued but I was starting to hope something would happen before the first tremor hit. Then the building blew up and I was in, baby!

Interesting that so many in the cinema hated it, I think my showing was like 50/50... it is still number 1 in the US box office so there are obviously enough people liking it :lol:

El Caco

Djavli te ponesli
Contributor
Reaction score
I think the main problem was with the ending. Once it finished there was this long silence and then "is that it?", "fuck no, they better give us our money back" etc. and they stormed out. Lolita and I agreed that we would not have liked it if it had ended differently.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Once it finished there was this long silence and then "is that it?", "fuck no, they better give us our money back" etc. and they stormed out.

Man I fucking HATE people that do that shit.... unless they sat through 15 minutes of it and left because:

a) they brought a kid and it was too gory for their child to watch (i.e. not rated properly)

or

b) they waited for the wrong movie :lol:

they really have no entitlement to get money back. They paid for a movie and they watched the whole thing... if they didn't dig the ending I don't see why the theater should have to refund them anything. :shrug: "Yeah... I bought this pizza... I ate the whole thing and hated the aftertaste so I want my money back!!!" :nuts: :lol:

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
They paid for a movie and they watched the whole thing... if they didn't dig the ending I don't see why the theater should have to refund them anything. :shrug: "Yeah... I bought this pizza... I ate the whole thing and hated the aftertaste so I want my money back!!!" :nuts: :lol:

:lol:

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
The reason I didn't like Cloverfield was that... it was... blunt. It lacked subtlety or finesse. I'll make an analogy.

Haute couture is to Macy's as Schindler's List or 2001 is to Cloverfield.

I'll have to agree with sakeido too, about them showing the monster too long. The lifeblood of a thriller is intellectual. Cloverfield, I felt, resorted to cheap shock/scare tactics.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score

It was a monster movie... aren't they meant to be blunt? I mean, Alien and The Thing were about paranoia rather than the monster, but this one was all about blowing shit up and screamin: "Oh my god what was that???"

But to each their own :yesway:

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score

It was a monster movie... aren't they meant to be blunt? I mean, Alien and The Thing were about paranoia rather than the monster, but this one was all about blowing shit up and screamin: "Oh my god what was that???"

But to each their own :yesway:

Alien and the Thing are probably my two favorite movies of the genre.

amonb

Les Paul Fever
Contributor
Reaction score
Mine too, but I don't think they are even in the same genre as Cloverfield, TBH

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still not seeing the monster in the smoke in the poster :lol: Just got back from seeing it, and there were people in the theatre that pulled the whole "What the fuck?!?" at the end and got pissed. Really though, how fucking else do you end it? It ended perfect for me, and I thought the whole movie was awesome.

Eric

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I just saw it tonight... and we wanna see it again tomorrow :D

It was very entertaining. The part where they were firing rockets and shells at it in the street was absolutely \m/

I also enjoyed the part where they smashed the (louse?) in the door in the subway and it sounded like some kind of small rabid dog...

Oh and best quote in the movie: "That's something else... also terrible..."

:yesway:

Uber Mega

Try my fist!
Contributor
Reaction score
Got to see it today...it was released this morning in the UK.

Absolutely blew me away from start to finish, the best cinematic experience of my life.
A few people in the cinema were apparently disappointed with the raw ending, but, how the hell else was it supposed to end!?

Most importantly, it shows exactly what it is that makes the public keep paying their money to go to the cinema, rather than downloading films at home...it's the experience, one which you just could not get at home.

I'll be taking my missus to see this ASAP. Excellent film!

Eric

Reaction score
Got to see it today...it was released this morning in the UK.

Absolutely blew me away from start to finish, the best cinematic experience of my life.
A few people in the cinema were apparently disappointed with the raw ending, but, how the hell else was it supposed to end!?

Most importantly, it shows exactly what it is that makes the public keep paying their money to go to the cinema, rather than downloading films at home...it's the experience, one which you just could not get at home.

I'll be taking my missus to see this ASAP. Excellent film!

You know my girlfriend and I were discussing that as we left the theater. Watching that for the first time on a normal TV without a surround sound system would have SUCKED! :agreed:

the.godfather

Mr. Flibble
Reaction score
Just got back from it. Thought it was pretty good. :yesway:

I wasn't expecting much from it which probably helped a little. But I thought it was filmed very cleverly, sound was awesome, acting was okay. Not bad at all.

Latest posts

')