Cold War 2

• Thread starter Yul Brynner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
So Trump and Putin have started another nuclear arms race. They keep tweeting their threats of destruction and rattling sabers. It reminds me of two guys in my squad in the army. They didn't like each other. They didn't get along. They kept talking shit all the damn time. One day they finally got in each other's face all bowed up like they were going to fight. They were circling bumping chests for like ten minutes talking shit but desperately hoping people were going to come and hold them back. Nobody did. They sat there looking like idiots shit talking for about ten minutes before the sergeant told them to either throw a punch or shut the fuck up. Am I the only one that thinks the US and Russia just need to quit shit talking and get it over with? Like seriously, if your'e going to fucking do something then do it. Otherwise shut the hell up.

Surveyor 777

I measure things
Reaction score
I don't pay much attention to politics (if I did I'd probably have a constant headache) but thinking back to the Cold War doesn't make me feel all fuzzy and warm. I remember being a little kid, going to sleep at night, scared out of my mind that I would hear warning sirens in the night, warning that the nuclear missiles were on their way and we had about 15-19 minutes to live (because I lived close enough to "major areas" that I believe would have been included in a main strike, so we would have been vaporized or had a heck of a lot of radiation exposure).

Nowadays w/the Internet there's a lot more information out there but when I was a little kid there was no such thing - only the evening news. Plus I was pretty naïve and believed pretty much anything.

I've often wondered if my anxiety issues that I have as an adult started from that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I guess with terrorists being less scary than they were 15 years ago it's time to revisit a classic and effective fear mongering technique.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Am I the only one that thinks the US and Russia just need to quit shit talking and get it over with? Like seriously, if your'e going to fucking do something then do it. Otherwise shut the hell up.

Errrr, no? Because I don't want to be killed in the firestorm which happens when those two go at it.

Ideally, all sides are powerful enough that the consequences of starting anything is too great. Therefore there will be peace. The main risks nowadays are asymmetric war - hacking, propaganda campaigns, and the sort of thing we saw in Ukraine with soldiers on "holiday" and removing their identification. Plus, the same old tactics of propping up rebels, insurgents and making your rivals' lives difficult. That's the main danger, because it makes hitting back difficult.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
The language in the OP sounds dangerous...
Is it really though?

We know they aren't going to nuke themselves into oblivion. It's the same crap from the cold war. People aren't buying into the wars in the middle east anymore so they need another way to scare people into an infiminf military budget.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, this whole throwback sequel to 80s shows and movies has gone a little too far, if you ask me.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Is it really though?

We know they aren't going to nuke themselves into oblivion. It's the same crap from the cold war. People aren't buying into the wars in the middle east anymore so they need another way to scare people into an infiminf military budget.
Infinite.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
You know, this whole throwback sequel to 80s shows and movies has gone a little too far, if you ask me.

Maybe you prefer your wars named more like their movie counterparts? A la, Cold War 2: Electric Boogaloo