Color guitar strings?

skymonster

Reaction score
is it a good or bad idea on a 8 string and whats a good web site to get them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The color on the strings comes from a coating. That coating effects the tone, often negatively and wears off fairly quickly.

If you still want them after knowing that, hit up the guys at JustStrings.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
how dose it have a negative effect

Coated strings tend to sound more boomy on the thicker strings, and twangy on the high strings. The only good coated strings I've used are Elixer as they have a super thin, specialized coating, something colored strings just don't have.

You may dig them. I just know I, and many others, don't.

Strings are cheap, give them a shot.

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
Personally I found the color coated strings to be unique, I kind of dug the rubbery, chunkier sound, although it isn't as crisp as regular strings are. If you're really interested you can try them, no harm in doing it as you can always switch strings back if you don't like them.

AnarchyDivine88

Reaction score
There's a local company here in CT, called Aurora, that says they have solved the issues with colored strings. They use a silver plating to compensate for the tone that's lost by the enamel coating. They not only have regular sets of strings, but also can custom make strings to your specs, so if you want certain gauges for your ERG, they can do that.

Here's their website: Strings By Aurora | Premiere Colored Guitar Strings

And a video interview from NAMM '09 where they explain their strings a little bit: Aurora Coated Color Strings - Summer NAMM '09 - PremierGuitar.com

I can't say how good they are from experience, because I haven't tried their strings yet, but i intend to.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's a local company here in CT, called Aurora, that says they have solved the issues with colored strings. They use a silver plating to compensate for the tone that's lost by the enamel coating. They not only have regular sets of strings, but also can custom make strings to your specs, so if you want certain gauges for your ERG, they can do that.

Here's their website: Strings By Aurora | Premiere Colored Guitar Strings

And a video interview from NAMM '09 where they explain their strings a little bit: Aurora Coated Color Strings - Summer NAMM '09 - PremierGuitar.com

I can't say how good they are from experience, because I haven't tried their strings yet, but i intend to.

There have been a few negative reviews of the Aurora strings on HC and Talkbass.

MAJ Meadows SF

on a tone quest
Reaction score
from your front yard, staring into your window
I have a set of DR reds on a Hellraiser 6. They do sound boomy and sterile, but it has EMGs so that really doesn't matter. They last a long freakin' time though, at least over the fret board. The color wears off where you pick after a few weeks. I won't use them again, or on another guitar. It's all aesthetics and doesn't make for great tone. That's the DRs though; haven't tried any other brands.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
The Aurora strings are AWFUL, both the guitar and bass versions.

I didn't like the DR Neons on guitar, but they sounded pretty punchy and a little "worn in" on bass.

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
I've tried a few colored strings and I liked none of them. They also look bad after about, say, half an hour.

')