Colored hardware

• Thread starter John54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John54

How much is too much
Reaction score
does anyone know where i can get a white 7 string guitar bridge with saddles? i know spezel makes colored tuning machines and would like to have a bridge that matches. im looking for a hard tail string through similar to RG7321 old style, not the new one with the Gila~~~~~r something bridge. but if i cant get a hard tail then i am open to other options.thanks for the help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

John54

How much is too much
Reaction score
ok. i might be able to do that. can you recommend any shops that will do that for me please?

John54

How much is too much
Reaction score
if the srcews get powder coated will they still be usable? i imagine it would add some thickness to the screw and then it not fitting in the hole. sorry i have no idea how power coating works

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
if the srcews get powder coated will they still be usable? i imagine it would add some thickness to the screw and then it not fitting in the hole. sorry i have no idea how power coating works

You shouldnt get screws powder coated.... It will add SOME thickness to everything. Not a problem on the other parts, but for the little screws thats no good.

vansinn

Reaction score
IIRC, it's possible to have only the screw heads coated.

Else, two suggestions:
Clean them thoroughly in alcohol, screw them into a slap of wood, and give the heads two or three coats of high-contents cellulose (nitro) based spray paint, like the type used for engines (if this is available in white).

Contact someone in the custom car/motorcycles business (I'm thinking of the American Choppers TV series from Orange County), and ask where they have motor parts eloxed. Those folks use all sorts of fancily colored parts. Maybe white can be done too, who knows..
Maybe you can have all the parts eloxed this way, though I'm not sure about white.

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
IIRC, it's possible to have only the screw heads coated.

yup, you simply tape it up where you dont want the powder to go, but these are fine screws, so any size variance on the heads can cause issues of its own.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
is this possible to do with already-chrome bridges?
i'd like to get some hardware powder coated an antique copper finish

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
is this possible to do with already-chrome bridges?
i'd like to get some hardware powder coated an antique copper finish

yes. anything that can hold a magnetic charge and survive getting baked at 350 degrees can be powder coated.

However, they will most likely strip off all the chrome before coating anyway. The parts have to VERY clean.

vansinn

Reaction score
^ IIRC, the parts are electrically charged, with the powder gun having the opposite polarity (not meaning to be pedantic ;) )

BTW, I have the feeling white parts could be a problem over time, as the white might too easily start to have a messy look, especially at the edges.
Like with white tennis socks; after some time, washing 'em just doesn't do it..

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see you mention matching Sperzel colors. It's worth noting that Sperzel doesn't do white and that Sperzel colors are anodized so you won't be able to match them by doing powder coating. I've done an anodized bridge to match Sperzel colors and it's a pain as you have to have a "raw" bridge made and then send it to the anodizing company. You're looking at ~$100 for the anodizing alone + paying for a custom bridge if you can find somebody to do it (I've been trying to get Hipshot to do me some more long aluminum saddles for the past year and they won't)

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
yes. anything that can hold a magnetic charge and survive getting baked at 350 degrees can be powder coated.

However, they will most likely strip off all the chrome before coating anyway. The parts have to VERY clean.

there's a guy on ebay who used to have the exact bridge i wanted, but he sold out, and isnt re-ordering

say i wanted to get a wilkinson locking roller bridge powder-coated to an antique copper finish, where's a good place to look and about how much should i expect to pay?

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
there's a guy on ebay who used to have the exact bridge i wanted, but he sold out, and isnt re-ordering

say i wanted to get a wilkinson locking roller bridge powder-coated to an antique copper finish, where's a good place to look and about how much should i expect to pay?

You can get a bridge powder coated for about 100 bucks. just google local powder coating shops, they usually do car stuff a LOT, so you can see if you can squeeze in for cheaper if they are doing some similar stuff for you.

All in all, its fairly cost effective, and you can get a custom finish you want.

ShadowFactoryX

OMNIHILITY
Reaction score
lol i wouldnt call $100 bucks for power coating a bridge, "cost effective"
But im in the middle of a semi-custom build, and was planning on doing a tele neck cover, bridge, HB cover, maybe strap locks & furrles?
i already have the tuners to match, and it might be too late to turn back?

bob123

Banned
Reaction score
lol i wouldnt call $100 bucks for power coating a bridge, "cost effective"
But im in the middle of a semi-custom build, and was planning on doing a tele neck cover, bridge, HB cover, maybe strap locks & furrles?
i already have the tuners to match, and it might be too late to turn back?

it's cost effective if you compare it to what it would cost you to get a "custom bridge" made lol.

Go ask schaller to make you a white floyd rose and cringe when they respond ;)

')